Darning Socks

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Motomom34, Mar 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@T. Riley I do not think it is supposed to swivel. I showed the kid your darning egg and we talked about attaching it. I think it will be easy to make if we have the correct tools

Ganado and T. Riley like this.
  2. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I am going to make one too. I am going to die a wooden egg with the brightest Easter egg die I can find then polish it with bee's wax to seal it. Haven't figured the stem out but I think I am going to drill a 1/8 or smaller hole 1 1/2 inches into small end. Then squirt glue in the hole and force the stem in. I am going to make the stem out of an old silver fork by cutting the end off and grinding the small end to fit the hole. We'll see. They are called Victorian Darning Eggs and sell for $20 to $100+ Online.

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  3. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

One of the standard items contained in the shaving kits of military personnel is a small sewing kit for replacing buttons and minor repairs. Also, the habit of having a sewing kit available came in handy for using the needles to pick splinters. Years later, a civilian career of wearing steel-toed shoes and boots caused premature wear of socks around the toes. New socks just didn't last long. It became a standard practice to separate the holey socks into a reject pile until the time and motivation was sufficient to initiate a "stitch-up session." It's become a life-long habit. Don't have a darning egg. I'm doing good just to make a close match of thread color to sock color. When there is no thread color match, black thread is the usual stand-by. My remaining old pairs of socks, now relegated to yard work, are a bit stitchy-looking to say the least!

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Never much worried about color matching with work socks. Off hand, I can't think of a case where the worn spots happened outside the boots. (But black was the invariant choice, 'cause that's the color I had (and have) the most of.)

5. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

One of my most wasteful and selfish practices is donating all my white socks once a year and buying 30 identical quality pairs. (Maybe I should store the old ones back for hard times.)

I do have a bunch of smartwool socks that are oddballs by color. Under boots, nobody knows.

If I ever hit the big times, I’ll never wear a used pair of socks again.

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  6. I remember seeing photo in a high school history book where a young child somewhere in the Balkans during WWII was using a hand grenade to darn socks.

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Potentially a way of making a small hole bigger. :eek:

oldawg, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  8. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  1. DKR
  2. Legion489
  3. Brokor
  4. Brokor