Data Blocker

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Hanzo, Mar 22, 2023.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

You guys and gals use one? I have for myself and family. Cheap. I usually do not put myself at risk, but if I plug in some place in public, I have one ready.

What is a data blocker? and why you need one today

Alanaana, Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  2. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

I use a VPN in the cloud. Not completely impermeable, but accomplishes what I need. Thanks for sharing the link! That's a good idea for public places.

Tempstar and Hanzo like this.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I use a VPN too. The data blocker is for when I hard wire into something. For example, before I found out about the data blocker and plugged my phone into a rental car usb port. The car system immediately connected to my phone and accessed stuff like music and who knows what. I just wanted to charge the phone. So the data blocker will make a pass through for power and not allow any data connection. I don't think car systems are secure.

Alanaana likes this.
  4. percival

percival Monkey

You can also set usb mode to 'no data transfer' in dev options. Might be easier to set it that way as default. That way the car or whatever would have to actually run a command to do anything. I also set max bt devices to 1 instead of the default 5. Plus I only turn stuff on when used so most of the time wifi, bt, and esp. gps is always off to begin with.
    Lineage OS, no google anything and emergency services are completely turned off. Presidential alerts my arse.
    Off topic buy anyone who went to the Jan 6 f biden rally and had there phone turned on and wasn't masked up was cruisin for a bruisin.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    Gator 45/70, Hanzo and Alanaana like this.
  5. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

@Hanzo Thank you for the example. I do get really weirded out when our phones connect to bluetooth or other devices and want to start importing contacts. It feels a bit invasive. I might have to get one especially since I'm thinking of traveling soon.

Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  6. aardbewoner

aardbewoner judge a human on how he act,not on look and talk.

And you cant stop contacts and data transport from root ! Even the not rooted users firewall will not stop that. Would that be the reason all providers do not want you to do that,maybe because you block there spyware ?

7. percival

percival Monkey

I run Open Contacts (fdroid). Totally private. If your phone is not rooted you can't really control it at all. I also run afwall firewall. I recently started using App Manager too for fine grained permission control. It allows you to block the trackers that come with many aps. I have maybe 2 aps that even have trackers.
    The recent change in the US only where ONLY 4G phones are allowed (no more gsm or 3G anything) was done to force everyone to use a modern smartphone. Modern as in probably not rooted and google stuffed up your arse. The fact that they have literally fused the radios together is the real problem. Even on the pos pinephone which has switches to turn off the radios, if you turn any one of them off they are all effectively off. A real pos device I must say.

Hanzo likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7