DECORATED VET ARRESTED AFTER ‘RUDELY DISPLAYING’ HIS RIFLE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Decorated Vet Arrested After ‘Rudely Displaying’ His Rifle — and Says Officer Pulled Gun on Him in Front of Boy Scouts | Video | TheBlaze.com

Army Master Sgt. C.J. Grisham was on a ten-mile Boy Scout hike with his son in Texas when he was arrested and accused of “rudely displaying” his firearm. Knowing there are wild boars, coyotes, and cougars in the area, he had an AR-15 rifle slung over his shoulder and was also carrying a .45 caliber pistol, according to Fox News’ Todd Starnes.

BLKFJDC likes this.
  2. Beano

Beano Monkey

In Texas, of all places. WTF, man.

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Criminals with badges. Scum. We are at war with these dirtbags, like it or not.

How dare you display a weapon in public, SLAVE. Do as you are told, SLAVE.

Yard Dart, Mountainman and Beano like this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Rude display? WTF is that?

5. jasonl6

jasonl6 Monkey+++

Hopefully this guy can get a good lawyer and a good judge.

Jason

6. JABECmfg

JABECmfg multi-useless

From the article in the link:

The veteran continues to elicit clarification as his hands are handcuffed behind his back, asking why the officers didn’t ask him to drop the weapon instead of resorting to such drastic action.

“I will not be in the habit of doing that for anybody with a firearm, because it’s dangerous,” one of the officers replies.

“So just because a guy’s got a firearm he’s dangerous?” Grisham responds.

“Yes sir,” the officer says.

And there you have it, if someone has a firearm, they're dangerous. So says the guy with the firearm.

I could ramble about this for quite a while, but I won't...

VisuTrac, Byte, Brokor and 2 others like this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I would have the whole bunch in a Federal District Court, and let them explain it all to a Federal Judge? That would end the whole mess, once and for ALL.....

kellory, Mountainman and Beano like this.
  8. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Brown Shirts? This is the sad state of affairs that we all have to deal with on a daily basis. I would love to see this guy sue the living crap out of Temple, TX and end up Mayor that broke ghost-town.

Brokor, BTPost, kellory and 1 other person like this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Those Cops better HOPE, that they NEVER come across that US ARMY SGT, anywhere, when he is ON Duty, on Base.... because he will NOT forget, and He WILL allow them the same curtisy they showed HIM.... What GOES Around, Comes Around, and these Yahoo Cops, One Day will get theirs.... Count on it......

10. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

Ironically, the Fascist League of America wore silvershirts.

11. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

The cops were wrong but he did nothing to help his case... you don't aggravate the man... wait and trounce him in court... his comments WILL be used against him later...

tulianr, BTPost and Silversnake like this.
  12. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

At best the Vet acted incorrectly. First he was carrying a Rifle in a manner that may not have been within the law in that Town. I say this because from the report he was carrying the rifle in an open manner while in a Town Ship. Town Ships have the right to pass laws and in my Town Ship it is not legal to discharge any weapon without cause. Fine by me other wise how do you limit the fool that target shoots in his back yard in a crowded subdivision. OTOH if I have 50 acres and a safe back stop I can target shoot. Along with this many towns limit the way you transport a weapon. Again this varies by town and state. Common sense is not common and it is best if we know the laws in our area. This does not mean you cannot bear arms, it does mean you don't do stupid things. It is clear to me that he did carry concealed and did it properly, I also think it was stupid of him to walk down a City Street with a AR slung across his cheast. The cops, they just made it worse.

tulianr likes this.
  13. Quigley_Sharps

We carry open here all the time, pretty normal.

14. HK_User

Normal is relative. Time, place, etc.

15. Quigley_Sharps

Yea I hear what you are saying and agree HK.

On a side note:
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought that the SCOTUS ruling stated that the presence of a firearm (where legal) was not in and of itself reasonable cause.
    The part I take issue with is; what was the reasonable cause ? It can't be that he was carrying a rifle. That's lawful. Since he had it slung across his chest it can't be brandishing.

This is a good stop:

This is an illegal detention and seizure:

Just think about the next time you carry a long gun from a store to your car and cop decides you need to go through that type of stop in the top video every time you carry one. Each and every time.
    Walking around on backcountry roads, carrying a hunting rifle, with your son who is working on becoming an Eagle Scout in tow is not only NOT suspicious, it is downright admirable and healthy no matter what some panty-wetting libtard fresh in from Commiefornia in a police uniform thinks.

kellory and Tracy like this.
  16. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Texas is not a traditional open carry state. They also do not allow open carry, or even printing, by those who have a concealed carry permit.
    Texas | OpenCarry.org

Can I carry a firearm on my person?
    A: Yes, with proper licensing (Concealed Handgun License) you may carry a pistol or revolver on your person so long as it remains concealed. Long guns (rifles / shotguns) do not have to be concealed, but must be carried in a manner not calculated to cause alarm, and do not require a license.

Texas Gun Laws - Our Texas Gun Laws made Simple!

Here is the weakness in the existing law... it is open to interpretation... Chest carry is normally a Military Fast access carry... to a civilian it's possible that a non traditional carry like this especially with a "black" weapon may be alarming to Sheeple...

The police officer was within his perview to stop the vet and talk with him comments/actions by the vet probably causes a more stringent intrepation of the law....

ALWAYS REMEMBER: The LEO has administrative powers ... he can write a warning ticket a speeeding ticket or arrest and confiscation of the vehicle for a speeding ticket.... Pushing the LEO will probably result in a harsher response with a latter modification of the charges (like this case), but that dosen't replace the nites or two you spend in jail or the $$ you pay an atty....

Just my opinion .... YMMV

kellory likes this.
  17. HK_User

My last .02. I believe in my Gut the Vet was trying to make some type of stament and in doing so he was using a Gun as his mouth piece. If I am correct then I really resent someone, anyone using the BOY SCOUTS and The 2nd for a personal statement that can do us no good.

Time will tell, I hope.

kellory and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  18. Quigley_Sharps

19. Quigley_Sharps

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7