Deep cycle Lithium Ion Batteries

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by GhostX, Mar 8, 2017.

1. GhostX

GhostX Monkey

I've heard a lot of good things about these Lithium batteries and I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on them. I already have a couple lead acid batteries that I've made do with for smaller projects but I'm thinking about going for something bigger.

The battery I'm thinking about getting is a 7.7 pound 12 volt 20 amp hour lithium ion deep cycle battery Smart Battery® 12V 20AH Lithium Ion Battery

I plan on using it for charging my laptop, phone, running a fan and maybe even a small cooler that I'm hoping I can make ice with. I was also hoping to try connecting a HDTV projector to it as well but I think that might be too much for the battery.

My methods for charging this battery besides using an outlet will be with solar panels and a 5 gallon bucket hydroelectric generator (yes I'm building one) which uses a Toyota alternator. Any tips, info or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

How many of them are you planning on? The cooler is apt to be a bit much for a single battery.

Tully Mars and GhostX like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

All secondary lithium chemistry batteries could be considered "deep cycle".

Look up genasun or Morningstar TriStar sun saver. Genasun makes charge controllers for different lithium chemistries. The Morningstar charge controller, tho made for lead acid can be set with its dip switches and by adding a resistor to the temperature sensor input to make it lithium friendly.

Tully Mars and GhostX like this.
  4. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Ran across this

Much cheaper to learn & experiment over

GhostX likes this.
  5. GhostX

GhostX Monkey

That sounds like a good deal but I'm nowhere close to southern California and I'm sure my car wouldn't make it. What are those though? Did he call them Tessa batteries?

6. GhostX

GhostX Monkey

7. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

With standard batteries, the usual consideration is, never discharge below half the max AH rating, so you can usebonly 10AH of the 20AH max. This minimises damage and you recharge back to max.
    But...... this may not apply to Li batteries? I have little experience with them.

9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

You should be able to discharge LiFePO4 down to around 20% with out hurting them.
    Hybrid cars using various lithium chemistries like to stay between 40% and 90%.
    So I would say try to not discharge below 40% and never below 20%.

1. Prepper12
  2. Big Ron
  3. Ganado
  4. ED GEiN
  5. GrayGhost
  6. Hillbilly549
  7. Papa_asf130
  8. GrayGhost
  9. CodE BluE
  10. oil pan 4
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid