defective ammo

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by CATO, Jun 4, 2012.

1. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

...an interesting thread. Has anyone got some personal pics they'd like to share?

Check Your Ammo For Defects!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I've reloaded .45 and split the casing before. The bullet was slightly deformed and ripped the casing as it was pressed. I have never had/seen a bullet inserted backwards before.

3. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I've seen most,if not all of those. However they were all reloads, by a company that reloads using the brass from the range.

4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I once bought a box of 9mm Luger Winchester 'whitebox' - had a round 'pop' and fizzle in my pistol, then found two rounds in the box with sideways primers. I have not purchased Winny 9mm whitebox since.
    Have had miserable 'performance' using 'flammable dirt', aka Unique powder. Poured the rest in the garden.
    Have seen the 9mm fired in .40 chamber and .40SW fired in .45 chamber - neato 'reverse bottleneck'! [fnny]
    Split cases in old milsurp ammo is common enough - bad when it happens in new factory ammo!

Those rifle rounds pictured with backwards bullets - methinks some handloader trying to make rifle caliber 'wad-cutters'....?

5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Those rifle rounds with the bullets seated backwards are for shooting people who are trying to sneak up behind you or when you are surrounded. Only problem with those special rounds is that you have to learn to duck real fast after you fire one. Trust me! Would I lie to you?

VisuTrac, BTPost and Brokor like this.
  6. groovy mike

groovy mike Immortal

yeah I've seen similar. Reload enough and you will too. most are common errors easy to fix. The seated in reverse was something Elmer Keith described as worth doing on purpose if you had only soft point ammo and needed deep penetration (shoot the jacketed end forward).

The only factory loaded ammo errors I have seen is a sideways primer in Russian 7.62x39, except Remington Safari Grade which was loaded so hot I needed a hammer to open the bolt of my rifle. Same box of ammo did the same thing in my friends rifle too. Remington refused to admit any wrong so I don't buy Remington ammo any more.

I did get one sealed tin of 7.62x54R that had a bullet hole through the case on one side and out the other though....

7. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

While I keep hearing about Win White Box defects, I have yet to actually see one, and I shot A LOT of WWB. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but I have never seen it and I HAVE had problems with Remington ammo.

All the problems shown can and do happen, I noticed that several of the defects were Rem cases and several others were handloads. I have never seen the defects in commercial ammo that was sold, except for reloaded ammo (crushed cases, splits, etc) but when a company is cranking out a few million rounds a month, yeah, it can happen.

8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Cobbled together a 300 Black Out the other day...

Just to see if i could...

I don't care for it though...
    S&G 001 (800x600).

9. limpingbear

limpingbear future cancer survivor....

I had a single round of 9mm with a sideways primer in one of those 250 count UMC yellow boxes. Shoot enough and its bound to crop up time to time....

10. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

What don't you like about it? I've been kicking around the idea of getting one.

11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

No real reason other than i'm old school...

I've never shot one because i have nothing in an A.R. platform..

However i did see and talk too a gentleman roll'n a 7.62 x 40 by Wilson Ind.Monday...

20/22 grn's 4895,125 fmg.

He was having fun with it..

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7