Definitely no city girl here.

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Asia-Off-Grid, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

True that, for sure. Chan is definitely where she wants to be. In fact, we would have been living here (full time) sooner, had I not kept putting it off. For a long time, we had been staying here part-time, splitting our time between here and the apartment.

Her Papa sure loved it when she was here with him. Well, truth be told, he was just as happy staying with us at the apartment in the city. He just wanted to be closer to his youngest, whenever possible. After he passed on, I made it a priority for us to move to the farm. Although, we still didn't start staying full time, until late May. (Papa died on April 6th.) For that, only I can take the blame.

Rain Update: It is still raining. Has stopped only for very short intervals. I wish I had a pool here, right about now.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I'd be stocking some extra large water containers, to increase your supply when it gets dry again.

Gator 45/70 and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I know about SEA rains. I had an m/c when I lived in Singapore. An extract from one of the letters I sent back to Boston -
    "The fun of Singapore weather. Saturday, I washed the bike, just because. Later, I took a scoot over Kranji way, so it rained. Sunday, I washed the bike. Later I went to the grocery store. So it rained for the first half of the trip home. The second half of the trip, the milk leaked on the rear disk and the starboard muffler, and got into the inner things aft. So I washed the bike again. And it rained again. By this time, it’s already 2 pm. So I watched Italian soccer on TV. I guess I’m not as hard headed as I used to be."

Gator 45/70 and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  4. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

You are quite right. Currently, we collect zero water from the barn, which has 7 meters by 8 meters of collection area, IIRC. (And, dummy me wants to build another one.) So, 100% of water that it could collect, is wasted and goes straight back into the ground.

My calculations show the barn alone, could provide almost 78,000 liters (~20,500 gallons) per year. Realistically, I would say probably closer to 70,000 liters (~18,500 gallons). Either way, that is a hell of a lot of water, especially when combined with the other roofs we currently harvest from.

Zimmy, Seawolf1090 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

An other way of water collection is to lay out some plastic drop cloth on the ground and create channels to direct that water into holes where you have a container receiving it ,then pump that into containers up hill from the house.
    A 12 volt bilge pump sold for boats and float switch to operate things automatically would be really sweet .

Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
  1. JackBlack
  2. jodirumph
  3. DKR
  4. deMolay
  5. DKR
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Hanzo
  11. Fatum1965