Second Amendment Democrats want gun owners to report to insurance companies

Discussion in 'Bill of Rights' started by Yard Dart, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[​IMG]

A gun control proposal making its way through the Vermont statehouse would require homeowners to tell their insurance companies whether a firearm will be kept in the house. The measure represents an insidious trend of gun grabbers increasingly looking to the private sector to clamp down on 2nd Amendment rights.

According to Vermont Watchdog, the state bill “proposes to require an insurer that writes homeowner’s insurance policies to require a policyholder to disclose to the company whether the homeowner or member of his or her household possesses a gun that is stored on the insured property.”

Democratic state Rep. Thomas Stevens says the legislation is ultimately aimed at getting the private sector in the business of gun regulation.

“I believe it can be a free market answer to an important gun safety issue — let the insurance companies and banks decide what risks they need to consider when making mortgages and home owners insurance. Insurance companies ask lots of questions to determine that already,” he said.

Friends of the 2nd Amendment in the state argue that the bill would create a statewide gun registry.

“How would this be enforced? By requiring the insurance companies to submit proof of compliance to the government, of course. And no insurance company will create a policy that pays out when the policyholder willfully commits a crime. This is nonsense, and insulting nonsense at that,” Eddie Garcia, founder of the Vermont Citizens Defense League, told Vermont Watchdog.

The privacy-damaging Vermont proposal is just one of a bevy of schemes popping up throughout the nation that attempt to tie the insurance industry to 2nd Amendment rights.

A bill recently introduced in Hawaii would require anyone who owns a firearm to purchase liability insurance. State Democratic Sen. Josh Green said the bill is no different than requiring car owners to carry insurance.

“They have to pay insurance so that if they’re in a collision and they hurt someone else who’s an innocent bystander, it’s covered. Just like with guns, if a gun falls into the wrong hands or if there’s an accident, just an accident, it makes a lot of sense to me that we have that extra level of responsibility,” Green told Hawaii News Now.

A similar measure in New Hampshire would require gun owners as well as dealers to carry liability insurance or face steep fines.

California and New York lawmakers have proposed similar laws.

Over the summer, House Democrat Rep. Carolyn Maloney (N.Y.) introduced the Firearm Risk Protection Act to impose liability insurance mandates for gun owners at the federal level.

“We require insurance to own a car, but no such requirement exists for guns,” Maloney said in a statement. “The results are clear: car fatalities have declined by 25 percent in the last decade, but gun fatalities continue to rise.”

Of course, there’s plenty of evidence to contradict Maloney’s claim that gun fatalities are on the rise.

It’s also worth noting (in case you haven’t already mumbled this to yourself by this point in the article) that one thing all these anti-gun politicians seem to forget is that nowhere in the Constitution is the guarantee that government can’t infringe on your right to own a car. Also, people willing to commit gun crimes aren’t likely to check with their insurance agent first.

Still, supporters of such ridiculous proposals argue that insurance companies, seeing a huge incentive for profit, could become a powerful ally in the battle to create new barriers for legal gun ownership.

Democrats want gun owners to report to insurance companies - Personal Liberty®

Meat and Seepalaces like this.
  2. duane

duane Monkey+++

Here in NH, the live free or die state, my home owners insurance will only pay some fixed amount, I think it was around $1,000 for fire arms and ammunition losses, and if you wish any more coverage you have to list the weapons and pay extra for the coverage, and if you meet some other criteria, changing number owned etc, you have to insure with some kind of business coverage. Nothing personal you understand, strictly business.

Altoidfishfins and Seepalaces like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

How about we REQUIRE these Yahoos to buy Speech Insurance.... Every time the tell a LIE, and get Caught, their Insurance Carrier pays a Grand, to whom ever was Lied about, to lied to, or BOTH... That ought to Shut their PieHoles....

4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

They can bite me!

Mountainman, Seepalaces and Yard Dart like this.
  5. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

As I have firearms that are worth a good bit; I see their point and I already have them insured through the NRA's Armscare.

It was easier than insuring the toy car for what it is worth with "improvements" as compared to Blue Book.

PS:
    No one including all of us here believe in boating accidents. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

My insurance will only insure guns to 1t500.00 unless you have a dealer appraisal for all weapons over 1500.00 which must be updated every 3 years...my cost doesn't go up except the amount you pay for the appraisal... Kinda a mixed blessing...

Seepalaces likes this.
  7. Yard Dart

My insurance company does not know I have firearms.... nor shall they. If my house burns down.... that loss is MY risk. Of course I have to add, never have all of your eggs in one basket.... which means I have the ability to go diving at any given time to recover from my stupid boating accidents. [winkthumb]

If it became a requirement, much like any other form of firearm registration they are trying to impose.... I guess that will make me illegal.... but I really prefer undocumented gun owner.... thank you. ;)

GOG, Mountainman, oldawg and 2 others like this.
  8. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

It is best to own 2 types of firearms. Ones with and without a pedigree. If one purchased a firearm from a dealer or one FTF
    FTF means someone else bought it from a FFL and they will not hold the "bag" for you, me or anyone else.

Firearms purchased prior to the 68 GCA are a different subject. IMO, it is wise to own them also.

I doubt anyone including those reading this believe in boating accidents. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seepalaces and Yard Dart like this.
  9. Yard Dart

[​IMG]

GOG, Witch Doctor 01 and Seepalaces like this.
  10. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Personally I'd want the insurance $$, YMMV.

11. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Most homeowner's insurances won't cover much in the way of firearms losses unless you purchase a rider. I think the same probably applies to any high-dollar jewelry. These are frequently and easily stolen items.

Best firearms insurance, IMHO, is a gun safe anchored to a concrete floor. Think of it as a one-time insurance premium and no one else really needs to know about it.

Tikka, Mountainman and Yard Dart like this.
  12. duane

duane Monkey+++

May be off topic, but does anyone here have real world experience with insurance and loss of preps? If God forbid, I were to have a fire, I don't know if my firearms safe would really work as stated, I know I would lose my reloading stuff and my storage food, water filters, tent, sleeping bags, clothing, tools etc. It is a good piece of change and if I have to declare it in a rider for coverage, I either pay more for the coverage or put on record my preps and update them at least yearly. Not really a good security choice in my mind. What really happened when the personal SHTF happened in your real world? That might include fire, flood, "domestic violence cases" that were more about getting "even" than violence, etc. I know that the local druggie kid in Minn stole my brothers firearms and that my grandfathers 1890's 30-30 was valued on the police report for insurance purposes at about $200 and the 3 riles and 1 shotgun did not meet the "deductible" and he could not prove they worth more as he did not have the weapons to prove they were worth more. The kid traded them for dope, no money involved and they were never recovered. That ws 15 years ago. The druggie made a plea deal, went to rehab, and was back stealing 6 months later.

13. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

My homeowners insurance already covers up to 3k in firearms and accessories. For additional coverage I use NRA Armscare.

14. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

@duane Your preps that you mentioned, minus the storage food, should be covered under personal property as long as you have that dollar amount high enough on your policy. Just make sure to have a list of everything and pictures to prove it. At least with my coverage, food is only covered up to $1,000. Did not ask if there was a rider for additional coverage for obvious reasons.

Yard Dart and Motomom34 like this.
  15. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I have family members in insurance. I can tell you, if it can not be proven, it will not be paid. Keep records, pics, invoices. If you can not prove it existed, they will NOT cover it's value. And home owner policies have limits, make sure you know what they are on your policy. They have no obligation to go beyond the printed word of your contract.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Yard Dart and Mountainman like this.
  16. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Drop the Insurance Company and become self insured.
    If insurance becomes too costly for the patriot then we have the freedom to look or go elsewhere.

Or the NRA Policy.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2016
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I put my registered NFA weapons plus one I plan to turn into a NFA weapon on my USAA insurance, figured might as well. Not like they don't already know I have them.

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  18. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

My insurance once asked , I asked them are you planing on asking me these questions from now on, if so then cancel my policy.
    They said no it was optional to answer so I said next.

My doctor once asked me, my son and I were both there my son looked the doctor and nicely said are you wanting to sell one.
    I nearly laughed my ass off.

kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

During our yearly active duty military check up one year they asked us that question, it was while I was at Langley so some time between 2006 and 2009. I am sure you can guess what year that was.
    Then when about 90% of the military claimed they did not own any guns, they figured the question was pointless.
    Its insulting that they think we are all really that stupid,well clearly a few are.

1. fl4848
  2. BTPost
  3. BTPost
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. OldDude49
  7. oldman11
  8. Ura-Ki
  9. oil pan 4
  10. OldDude49
  11. OldDude49
  12. Motomom34