'Demonic possession

Discussion in 'Faith and Religion' started by OldDude49, Jun 3, 2018.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

is real and victims seeking exorcism should not be ignored': Prominent psychiatrist on the world beyond

[​IMG]

It is a phenomenon that is on the rise throughout the world: The number of cases of demonic possession - and demands for priests to carry out exorcisms - is, according to multiple sources, soaring.

Medical science remains sceptical. However, a Princeton-and-Yale-educated mainstream psychiatrist believes demonic possession is indeed very real - and claims that the majority of Americans agree with him.

With 25 years experience in a private psychiatric practice and as a professor at New York Medical College and Columbia University, Dr Richard Gallagher has a rare vantage point to observe human behavior. And then there is the inhuman.

Gallagher

He is also a sought-after psychiatrist for discernment, the initial step in determining the need for exorcism. Dr Gallagher has evaluated hundreds of cases of possible possession and, in a wide-ranging and rare interview with the Telegraph, explains why he believes the phenomenon is genuine.

a Vatican training course for exorcist priests, participants were told that demand for exorcism is booming as a result of a decline in Christian faith and the internet providing easy access to black magic, the occult and Satanism. " data-reactid="22">In April, at a Vatican training course for exorcist priests, participants were told that demand for exorcism is booming as a result of a decline in Christian faith and the internet providing easy access to black magic, the occult and Satanism.

They’re very, very smart. The intelligence level of a fallen angel, which is what I call them, is far superior to human beings
    Dr Gallagher on demons

Pope Francis has repeatedly reminded his followers that Satan is "a real being, roaming the Earth to devour souls like a lion". In April, he wrote: “Hence, we should not think of the Devil as a myth, a representation, a symbol, a figure of speech or an idea. This mistake would lead us to let down our guard, to grow careless and end up more vulnerable.” He observed that life can be “a constant struggle against the devil, the prince of evil”.

Last year, speaking to priests attending a Vatican course on confession, the Pope said confessors “should not hesitate” to refer penitents who are suffering from “genuine spiritual disturbances” to exorcists. Describing the Rite of Exorcism as a “delicate and necessary ministry”, the Pope admonished that exorcist priests must be selected with “great care and great prudence.”

the number of priest exorcists has increased from twelve to fifty over the past decade. While demand for exorcism continues to surge, Dr Gallagher’s medical assessment of whether a person is mentally ill or possessed by demons will determine whether some exorcisms are conducted.  " data-reactid="29">In the US, the number of priest exorcists has increased from twelve to fifty over the past decade. While demand for exorcism continues to surge, Dr Gallagher’s medical assessment of whether a person is mentally ill or possessed by demons will determine whether some exorcisms are conducted.

The article is very interesting... and goes on to explain why he thinks what he thinks... seems one of his patients knew/did some things to him...

and was not even there when they did it?

Julia revelled in her psychic ability and demonstrated her powers for Dr Gallagher. At 3am one morning, the Gallaghers’ normally placid cats went berserk fighting in the couple’s bedroom and had to be separated. Such behaviour had never happened before and has never happened since. Later that morning, Dr Gallagher was introduced to Julia for the first time. According to the psychiatrist: “The first thing out of her mouth was ‘So Dr Gallagher, how did you like the cats last night?’. I even have a letter from her to a priest that says ‘we raised a little hell in Dr Gallagher’s house last night’.”

link... if ya care to read more... the book do say there will be a time when this kinda thing will increase IIRC?

'Demonic possession is real and victims seeking exorcism should not be ignored': Prominent psychiatrist on the world beyond

arleigh likes this.
  2. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

The idea is still lacking a bit on the scientific proof.

chelloveck likes this.
  3. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I believe it.

ochit likes this.
  4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

My ex is all the proof indeed !

Hanzo, Yard Dart, Bandit99 and 4 others like this.
  5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Mine too.... Maybe they were related. Same Father, perhaps...

6. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

It would seem to be common in ex wives, mine being either possessed or a true demon trying to possess another poor soul.

Hanzo and ochit like this.
  7. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I remember a Priest talking about people being perfectly possessed. (talk show) You look at the values and actions of many people and you can see the evil. I make it a point to teach my kids about being cautious of people.

ochit and SB21 like this.
  8. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I don't believe my ex was possessed ,,,,,,I believe she was the Devil himself,,,,,,:eek:

9. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

The Finlander didn’t believe in the Devil until he saw him during a dental appointment. The gas. It scared the crap out of him. Lol.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

It's biblical so I don't laugh at the notion.

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and ochit like this.
  11. ochit

ochit Monkey+

First this may read like a rant it is not or a hit piece on certain religions only partially the top echelon the people need to learn and save themselves from false teachings .God loves everyone it is up to each of us to come to grips with our understanding that they may or may not be correct and therefore in opposition to God.

It doesn't matter, you can have proof the Godless will rant it is mental disintegration brain damage by drugs psychosis from huffing chemicals killing their brain from a lack of oxygen, There is a book on mental illness that is 3 inches thick double space small print and the whole of anti Christian would will beat anyone over the head with it up to allowing their own child to die in an insane asylum rather than accept their is a God. Look at 500 million abortions, murders by children school shootings drug addiction, Every other religion is increasing faster than Christianity, why because people cannot and will not accept they are sinners and no one can save them except Jesus.

What I am about to say, consider well and read some history and your Bible, a King James version WHY ? because it was finished in 1611 translated from Greek Hebrew and Aramaic by 47 scholars is it perfect NO but its pretty good, compare it to the book of Isaiah found in the Qumran caves . Martin Luther and the Protestant reformation is something every Catholic should read, if not for Martin Luther the Bible might still be in Latin and only the priesthood controlling the narrative. Protestants don't know for the most part either for 80% or more ignorance is bliss worse they don't want to know ! many supposed Christian sects are more than ignorant they are predicated on the demonic.
    If you do not take time to study your Bible you will not understand your being lied to tricked or cheated of your inheritance and that is direct access through prayer to Jesus himself.
    I do not like to pee in anyone's pool but it's almost laughable that the Catholic church understands this maybe because the scorpion knows another scorpion. Think of these as a double door Catholics on one side Protestants on the other and both have muddied the water to where it's almost impossible for either to get through the door.

Is demonic possession real if people do not believe in satan or the devil how could it be ? a few religions deny there is a satan, devil or hell and have gone as far as to write them out of their bible ( notice the little "b" ) then there are the ons that tell the members you cannot and do not have the ability without ordained crispy coated all knowing spirit guide. Even the better ones dumb it down because the truth is simple and the penalty horrifying and people only want the good news and some of these TV people are the worst. What people do not know is driving them to demonic possession.

Modern psychiatry has never never never healed anyone they have drugged them lobotomized and incarcerated them and drug maintained their patients but no cures. Jesus healed the sick lame and blind and cured demon possession by casting them out, as did his Apostles and they complained that non Apostles were healing and casting out demons, Jesus speaks to them in Mark 38 - 40 38 John said to Him, “Teacher, we saw someone else driving out demons in Your name, and we tried to stop him, because he does not accompany us.” 39 But Jesus replied, “Do not stop him. No one who performs a miracle in My name can turn around and speak evil of Me. 40 For whoever is not against us is for us. 41Indeed, if anyone gives you even a cup of water because you bear the name of Christ, truly I tell you, he will never lose his reward.

The bible is a supernatural book, it lays bear the faults of all not just non Christians or non God fearing people. It speaks of Demons satan and evil spirits, giants witches and demonic possession miracles and plagues. If one word of Jesus or God ( along with the Holy Spirit are all one ) another truth revealed in numerous scriptures that has and is disputed, why ? because that dilutes and undermines the creation, resurrection, and deity of Jesus if he is not God in flesh they were is he able to raise us from the dead or forgive us our sins ?

There is demonic possession there are demons there is evil there is witchcraft witches warlocks blood sacrifice spells and there is a God Jesus and salvation and all you have to do to be saved is ask.

T. Riley likes this.
  12. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Evil exists, no doubt as does delusions, hallucinations, madness. I have seen evil and I do not believe it to be demonic but that is just my take on it. What I see ad pure evil and delusion may well be exactly the same that others see as demons, I suppose it's all a matter of what you believe in. I just happen to believe there are some wicked lunatics just waiting for an opportunity to go Freddy Krugger. I am not a Christian but I do believe in a higher power, not a cognizant one that bothers with the day to day BS and I certainly do not believe in a punishment and rewards system based of holy preferences, but I do believe in the power of prayer and I pray that when you see evil, you recognize it and destroy it.

13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

You are NOT alone, Andy.... Plenty of Monkey’s say the same thing, about their Exs... and a few behind their wive’ s back... I am one of the fortunate Few... AlaskaChick is an Angel, sometimes an Avenging Angel, but still an Angel straight for heaven...

oldawg, Gator 45/70, Zimmy and 3 others like this.
  14. ochit

ochit Monkey+

Sorry was cut short by a storm some other information I am in now way positive of but I have a nagging feeling that Aliens are demons any reference demons explains they are powerful highly knowledgeable and gave men special knowledge of identifying purifying and working metals knowledge of the stars and explaining mental abilities sorcery and other information that creates an arrogance or narcissism and them to think they are a god ( little g ) but those gods die they are not eternal.

Bigfoot, wolfmen, extreme weird, I don't know but I can surmise it is not angelic or from God, satan is a powerful being he can come as an angel of light and in Revelation it states (paraphrased) that even the elect would be deceived, so satan can mislead do signs and wonders. If you wanted to fool people and you decided to hoax something and, it is done all the time on Youtube, do people not think that satan has a plan to deceive mankind and he thinks he can defeat God ? he is a creation not all powerful and creator there are things we can't explain and things we use and do today to a ancient society would be magic. people need to understand that satan will use advanced knowledge to fool us into believing he is or capable of restoring and saving the world. As of now the great wealth is being made from youthful looks and the lie people can live longer have more sex make more money and because they are older no responsibilities because they are beyond child bearing age. Truth is more elderly are contracting AIDS/ HIV Herpes syphilis and other STD's involved in illegal drug use binge drinking and fornication all this trying to keep up with or compete with the younger crowd. ad the competition against couch potatoes and cellar dwellers who do not have a pension or the pay scale to support a lean hot one is not equal they will hang on for the booze and bobbles and fun but sitting by your hospital bed or being monogamous probably not, I have sen this enough so take it or leave it.

I wish I could tell people all I have experienced found and seen but that would take a large lengthy book, it's called the Bible I have seen enough demonic evidence, first hand that convinced me I am not in Kansas anymore and not while I was a Christian in fact a whole other path but when you glimpse evil true real evil it will make your blood run cold.

15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I'm catholic so we say we don't believe demonic possession all, but we really do.

16. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

17. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

All that the copy and pasted article has demonstrated is that very well educated men and women are capable of believing and acting upon superstitious woo-woo. Woo - RationalWikiWoo - RationalWiki The fact that Gallagher occupies an eminent position in academia, and is a much sought after talking head on things demonic and exorcismistic, doesn't validate the actual existence of magical creatures such as demons, cherubim, angels, nephilim, incubi and succubi.

[​IMG]
    Via:Monster of the Week: Incubi and Succubi

It's disappointing that Gallagher doesn't apply the Scientific skepticism that is one of the foundations of psychology as a social science, to the claims about demon possession and exorcisms. Perhaps Gallagher's commitment to his Roman Catholic beliefs about the supernatural, primes his beliefs concerning demon possession and exorcism, and overrides evidence based science.:rolleyes:

Sir Isaac Newton, a giant of science, and a man of massive intellect, and a devout theist, also believed in the occult and practiced alchemy....a man of science, but also a believer in cockamamie superstitious, magical ideas too. A number of eminent scientists through history have also believed in woo-woo, but their eminence in science does not validate the claims of the woo-woo that they believed in https://io9.gizmodo.com/10-famous-scientists-who-held-surprising-supernatural-b-1689425142?IR=T....the body of science that they had contributed to humanity, does stand on its merits, because it is evidence based, and most importantly falsifiable. Gallagher's. reliance on opaque, anecdotal evidence to make his case is hardly very convincing.

It might be informative to know why you found the article interesting, and why anyone might be persuaded to share the good professor's beliefs in supernatural entities such as angels, and demons

The Devil Inside: Psychotherapy, Exorcism and Demonic Possession

However, Demonic possession needn't be the go to diagnosis for individuals who seem to be manifesting hyper-religious psychopathology. Exorcising individuals presenting with religious delusions may do more harm than good, in the sense that the ritual may reinforce the delusion that the Demons actually exist, and that they are actually possessing a human host. An exorcism may not achieve much more than a temporary placebo affect, leaving, the delusional belief of demon possession still intact, allowing the delusional belief to be re-activated at some later time. Ritualised mumbo-jumbo is a poor substitute for evidence based science.

I don't doubt that supernaturalism, and irrational beliefs are likely to increase, particularly in times where individuals and social groups face uncertainty in a culture of rapid change and instability...

Social change – uncertainty –... (PDF Download Available)

It has to be said, that attempted exorcisms can have very bad outcomes...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  18. ochit

ochit Monkey+

It might be informative to know why you found the article interesting, and why anyone might be persuaded to share the good professor's beliefs in supernatural entities such as angels, and demons

The Devil Inside: Psychotherapy, Exorcism and Demonic Possession

However, Demonic possession needn't be the go to diagnosis for individuals who seem to be manifesting hyper-religious psychopathology. Exorcising individuals presenting with religious delusions may do more harm than good, in the sense that the ritual may reinforce the delusion that the Demons actually exist, and that they are actually possessing a human host. An exorcism may not achieve much more than a temporary placebo affect, leaving, the delusional belief of demon possession still intact, allowing the delusional belief to be re-activated at some later time. Ritualised mumbo-jumbo is a poor substitute for evidence based science.

I don't doubt that supernaturalism, and irrational beliefs are likely to increase, particularly in times where individuals and social groups face uncertainty in a culture of rapid change and instability...

Social change – uncertainty –... (PDF Download Available)

You'll find out, and whistling in the dark now doesn't change that the world and life is too complicated to be an accident. More academics. although not leaping into Christianity are now convinced it is intelligent design and no way accidental. If ghost hunting TV shows if even one incident is real that should awaken people that the world is not flat there are no accidents or coincidences nor is it preordained God just already knows.

To me it takes a lot more faith to believe nothing created everything and if monkeys became man why are there still monkeys and if simple one celled creatures evolved why are they still here ?

People can convince themselves of anything hoarders think trash is more important than family or being part of humanity if life has no creator it has no meaning everything is an accident and goes back to dirt, well that's nice, bring up your children telling them that truth and see how it works out. oh people have maybe that is why the world is not getting better.

19. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

As interesting as responding to your post may be, it would not be relevant to the OP's concerns about Professor Richard Gallagher's role as a demonic possession and exorcism consultant, and the Papacy's moral panic about demonic possession...I wouldn't want this thread to be locked because of deviations into abiogenisis, ID, evolution, flat earthism, the psycholgy of hoarding, ghost hunting, and appropriate parenting...they are subjects to which responses will have to wait for another day and another thread. ;)

Motomom34 and ochit like this.
  20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have had personal experience dealing with demons , some personal attacks and some attacks on others and other relevant phenomenon .Also have freed a few and met others that were freed from demonic influence.
    Disregarding these creatures benefits them, whether you believe in them or not .
    Having had several encounters with them and those that think they have a demon doing their bidding ,I am quite aware of who is being deceived .
    An atheist that is actually a Satan worshipper, knows about God and understands the conflict, has chosen Satan rather than God because Satan he thinks he can manipulate, unlike God whom he cannot.
    Sad thing is he ( the Satan worshipper ) is being manipulated .
    Satan worshippers will also find a shallow church to attend ,not so much to shadow their influence but to harden them selves against the gospel being preached there.
    Drugs do play in important role in those demon oppressed /possessed due to those choosing to yield to that influence . Does not mean that drugs are essential , Stupid yield to more stupidity .
    Some one sober takes a smarter demon to manipulate , they do it all the time.
    They know the thoughts they put in your mind so naturally they know how your think,, they culture you, and put it there .
    Satan is not omnipresent , only God is .
    So all that occurs is not Satan however there are those that do summon his influence and it's never pretty.
    Some kids were passing around a bottle of wine and summoning demons and one was so bold as to summon Satan into him self and what happened was his throat was slashed from the inside . This story came from a boy that participated, and had a demon that accompanied him through out his day doing impish things (I won't get into here). that attacked others with in his view . The boy could see it but no one else could see the demon, but they could see the things the demon did .
    The boy in stead of gaining popularity became feared , and the fear he began to experience with that demon got worse .
    Finally after being freed he still can see the demon, though it has lost the bond a war continues to him more obviously.
    Don't tell this man he is lying about his experience , he might actually punch you in the face himself.

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and ochit like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7