Desert Brutality: Lessons re-learned (or you are not in your twenties any more)

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by wideym, Feb 10, 2019.

1. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

I got back from InrangeTV's Desert Brutality 2019 on Tuesday and I'm still recovering. I participated in the 2018 and this year's match. It is eight stages, broken up into four stages each day. I had forgotten how intense the stages can be physically and how easily it is to miss targets when your heart rate is up and you are breathing heavy.

I also remember that when I was in combat, my heart rate increased significantly in anticipation while moving forward to the fight, only I didn't have the muscle fatigue back then. I'm either going to have to significantly improve my physical condition or scale back my expectations. Also my pistol prowess leaves much to be desired.

I might be a has-been, but at least I'm not a never-was.

GOG, Ganado, Witch Doctor 01 and 16 others like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Gettin Old isn't for wussies!
    The things I used to do in the MIL, I wouldn't Last long these days! Between all the crazy and special stuff I would prolly get killed now! Those days are gone, what we have left is what we gotta work on! Thankfully My hard won pistol skilz is still good, and my Rifle/Carbine skilz are still deadly! Now days I focus more on being the grey man, no one sees me, or looks twice, I can move among them and am not seen as a threat! I try to be the Grizzly Bear Man, leave me alone and I leave you alone, but ...................
    Pick a Fight, I'm going to make you work for it!

GOG, oldman11, 3M-TA3 and 7 others like this.
  3. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

Sounds like your best weapon, your mind, is still intact and may be better than it was in your youth. At least you have an honest appraisal of your weak points and know what to spend training time on.

I'm an over the hill has been, but am aware of my weaknesses and strengths, which actually can add strength to a bad situation.

GOG, oldman11, Capt. Tyree and 7 others like this.
  4. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

So true , Im much slower than I was years ago , also "Should" Know when not to push myself , healing takes much longer now @ six + decades

Sloth

GOG, oldman11, oldawg and 6 others like this.
  5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

The one thing about the combat scenario and stamina , is in combat you have that adrenaline rush pushing you further.

6. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Old age and treachery always overcome youth and skill :)

Motomom34, GOG, Oddcaliber and 5 others like this.
  7. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I'll bet your knees are talking to you as well.

There are advantages to being old, but they are few and far between

Motomom34, GOG, Oddcaliber and 3 others like this.
  8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

The problem with my mind is that I remember doing all sorts of athletic endeavors with ease and practically no recovery time. I see chest high barrier and my mind says "phttt, you can vault that, twist in mid-air, land on your feet, get off four rounds center mass and move on to the next obstacle." In reality, I jam my finger trying to grab onto the barrier, kind-of roll across the barrier only to get my belt hung up on it leaving me with the tips of my toes touching the ground, but not enough leverage to unhook from the barrier easily, and then when I do get unhooked, my rifle sling slips across my body to have the butt of my rifle hit me squarely in the testicles. I did get four hits, with eight shots though.

Motomom34, Ganado, Oltymer and 4 others like this.
  10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I don't look at my self as elderly (68) but rather have sustained a lot of abuse through the years .
    I was tough through the years working along side older men do more work than they did and out performing my peers an others less physically adapt . Working on heavy equipment demands it out of you especially working alone .
    Alone you have to think further into the process and plan for the unexpected, with real preparations not hope.
    I probably should have been dead years ago. I appreciate God's intervention.
    Knowing my age would catch up to me but the work did not stop , I created lift equipment for my self both for at work and home . DSCN4086.JPG
    a crane for lifting things up stairs in the barn .
    DSCN4212.JPG
    one on my tool box at snow summit shop .
    IMG_20171221_151409.
    One on my truck. and a few in the shop trailer . including fork lifts .
    I have an extension for the truck for lifting roofing onto the roof of the house , just paid off .
    It doesn't matter how often it gets used ,it is the fact it is there when I need it, and better than having to hire some one whom may or may not even be capable of doing the needed job. can you lift 1500 lbs ?
    It doesn't matter if it is only 50 lbs the machinery does the work not me.

Knowing I'm getting older I did something to prep for it when I had the opportunity .

Motomom34, GOG, STANGF150 and 2 others like this.
  11. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Reasently hit 60 myself! Just wish my brain would stop telling my body I can still do things!

Motomom34, SB21, GOG and 3 others like this.
  12. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

near 70 n been there done that... think I even got a t-shirt somers what says it... :D:D:D

Motomom34, GOG, Oddcaliber and 2 others like this.
  13. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

InrangeTV posted the first stage of Desert Brutality today. Four a day for two days.

Motomom34 and GOG like this.
  14. john316

john316 Monkey+++

I probably should have been dead years ago. I appreciate God's intervention.

Alf60, Motomom34, techsar and 2 others like this.
  15. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

InrangeTV posted one of the most difficult stages of the match, the shoot house, resupply, Lt.Dan carry. Since I was able to plan a little before shooting, I used my starting five rifle rounds to hit all the clays. I took a little more time and moved to the window opening for a clear, supported shot. I was using a Claymore mine bag to stage my mags (rifle on one side, pistol on the other), so it was a matter of simply grabbing the bag and not having to mess with putting mags in pouches. The Lt.Dan was HEAVY and was more than a little bit akward to carry. I was doing well until I transitioned to the "mortar tube". Halfway back I ran out of steam and shuffled it across the line. Hitting two steel silhouettes with a pistol is much easier than trying to finish up hitting any missed clays with a pistol and then the steel.

oldman11 likes this.
  1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Home_gym

I love my home gym!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle_gym

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra loves to workout!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra has life figured out!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
  13. Qwertyportne
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
  16. 3M-TA3
  17. AxesAreBetter
  18. DKR
  19. Motomom34
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7