Did I miss something, or just when........

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BTPost, Dec 14, 2013.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

RANT ON

Did I miss something, or just when did all this "Candle Light Vigil" crap, start.... Growing up in Seattle, WA I never heard of Candle Light Vigils. I never saw a Roadside Memorial when some Kid (person) had an accident, or skinned their Knee, on a bicycle. I knew Catholics, lite Candles in church, for Lost Souls, but when did all this Public Candle burning, start? Is this an extension of lighting Cigarette Lighters, and waving them around, in the Dark, at rock concerts, in the late 60's? Seems all I see on the News, lately is a bunch of whiney Folks, standing around, with Lite Candles, and bemoaning something, or another , that has effected them, or the neighborhood, or a bunch of Trash, stacked up at the site, of the latest Holywierd Car Crash, that kill an Idiot, driving to fast. Is this a way to earn fast cash, by selling Candles and Matches, in Poor Neighborhoods? If so I need to invest in a Candle, Making Biz, AGAIN, like when I was in my "Hippy Phase" and made, and sold, "Sand Candles" at Street Fairs, around western Washington State. It all seems so "Commercial".... Lite a Candle, and sooth your self-Tortured Soul, thinking that you have made a Statement, about something, or another... Please, Help me out here.... so What is the "DEAL" with this......

/Rant Off

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    Mountainman, Dont and tulianr like this.
  2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

:lol: Good Rant BT!!

BTPost likes this.
  3. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

As human beings we have a need to show solidarity with a cause, an event, a purpose. Is it really any different than union picketing, the flag waving at a 4th if July parade, bumper stickers for a political cause or candidate? I think the candlelight vigil is just a way of saying "I remember"

chelloveck, tulianr and Sapper John like this.
  4. BTPost

My question is, "Is expressing 'solidarity with something' a by lighting a candle, and standing around", a New Phenomonon, in the last decade, or did I miss out on the something as a Kid growing up in the 50s and 60s?

5. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Quite possibly a regional thing that has spread and expanded. Candlelight memorial gatherings have always been common in New England, possibly due to our infamous thriftyness, gather out of doors to save heating cost LOL.

6. Yard Dart

I think this morphed out of the practice at concerts as I do not recall these candle light vigils earlier in my youth. It seems to have become a mainstream activity for some types of people to show an expression such as grief over the loss of someone.

They pop up every time someone gets killed or shot by the cops around the Seattle area... which I think is organized by one political group or another... trying to use the event to garner attention for their cause... gives them a moment on the soap box with a crowd being used as a prop...

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Candle light caroling is something from my past, but fire is emotional, and tends to be used For pulling heart strings.

tulianr likes this.
  8. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

So if a bunch of them for some reason showed up on my lawn ..... turning on the sprinklers would be considered wrong?

9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Fire prevention is everyone's responsibility.

tulianr and Brokor like this.
  10. Yard Dart

You are living up to your "Bad Monkey" moniker....[chopper]

11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

"I wasn't here for you when you were living, so please let this candle be a reminder of how fleeting life truly is."

Yard Dart likes this.
  12. BTPost

I mean REALLY... Mr Pres. And his wife were on the NEWS Video, tonite...... It showed them lighting 26 candles, (for the NewTown Killed) and having a "Moment of Silence" to commemorate the 1 Year Anniversary, of the NewTown Shooting. Why would anyone commemorate the killing of children? Why would anyone publicize this kind of personal stuff? I think it is just more BS GradStanding, by the Campaigner in Chief. That is my opinion... YMMV....

13. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Oh yeah, definitely. The "First Family" doesn't represent the average American family, they only represent the corporations and the Media is the PR firm.

14. RightHand

I agree that the Obamas making their presence known at a vigil of any kind is blatantly political and speaks volumes about their integrity. Its interesting that the town of Sandy Hook is not having any commemorative event. It is the choice of that community to reject the spotlight on their grief. That, however, didn't stop the CT governor from requesting that every church and town bell across the state be rung at a designated hour, another clearly political gesture being foisted on us.

We all grieve for the lost lives of the Sandy Hook children, the families they have left behind, just as we grieve the loss of our own friends and family in our lives. Most of us, like the Sandy Hill families, choose to grieve privately.

However, for those who feel the need to gather as a community, sans politicians, this doesn't bother me at all any more than it bothers me that adherents of different religions choose to worship differently.

Our lives are filled with matters of greater importance than a vigil. We are confronted daily with an every escalating loss of liberty and freedom. Our livelihoods and ability to support ourselves and our families are in jeopardy from government encroachment. The value of our dollars is weakening every month and our ability to control our own destinies is in greater peril than ever before.

Given these truly important issues, the way people gather in fellowship bothers me not in the slightest as long as it doesn't infringe on my right to celebrate life or grieve death in a manner that suits me.

tacmotusn, ghrit, JABECmfg and 2 others like this.
  15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Sandy Hook parents and other citizens are keeping to themselves, rightly so. The rest of those that want face time are grinding those folks noses in the memory. Hateful stuff.

16. JABECmfg

JABECmfg multi-useless

All the more reason to just ignore it altogether.

Yard Dart likes this.
  17. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I remember "candle light vigils" for those that where lost and was a means for people to get together to support and pray for a good out come with the safe return of their loved ones.. Obama is doing it to set the stage for more legislation.. There I go, speaking the obvious...

kellory likes this.
  18. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

The candles show up well for tv crews?

All a puppet show for the unwashed masses...

And to answer your initial question, I never had seen any of these vigils while growing up, or the roadside "memorials" for traffic deaths. Come on now, why put a wreath up for someone going over 100mph backward while airborn crossing the road? Monuments to stupidity in my book.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  19. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Since this is a rant thread....

"candle light vigils" are a staged media event, plain and simple. The more useful idiots caring souls you can turn out, the more media coverage you get. Think of it as less of a call to action and more of a kind of free advertizing for your "cause". Advertising equals contributions, after all.

I've been working on a paper, the "Generations of Political Warfare" detailing how politics has turned from a contest of ideas into, in some cases, open warfare. Certainly open and unrestricted lawfare.

A "candle light vigil" may or may not be used in this kind of political warfare.

How? Shadow front group organizes candle light vigil for (insert cause here)
    Participants may or may not be paid to show up and caterwaul for the cameras. It is certain that a core group of fellow travelers can be counted on to show up.

Politico X shows up to make an impassioned plea for an unpopular notion - like gun confiscation. For the next several says, the compliant "news" media then shows said plea that it dutifully recorded and then goes on to host multiple interviews on said plea.
    Oddly, all the "media" stuff seems only to echo the same crap being peddled by
    Politico X or his/her minions on TV, radio, the web and in print. It isn't news, it's political propaganda. (Ya, I know, the NSA will be snooping in your computer next just for reading this).

Make no mistake, these so-called shadow organizations exist and control massive amounts of money, all of which can be used to purchase media time, set up front organizations and stage so-called rally's - all for a specific, and not well understood purpose. Dig into the more famous names, like George Soros, to get an idea of just how pervasive this all is today.
    Also, look at terms like Astroturfing, rat fuck!ng, and dirty tricks.
    Nixon made them a household word....and this set of tactics is still in use today, with new and more insidious ones each year.

Now when I look at a "news story" I ask myself - "Who is going to make money/gain power from this"? Call me a cynic, if you wish, but it isn't hard to scratch the surface and become more than a cynic...you'll become completely disgusted.

/rant

Yard Dart, BTPost and Mountainman like this.
  20. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Doing so may short out some eco-responsible solar rechargable electric candles...possibly giving the candle holders a nasty jolt...no bad outcome in some circumstances I suppose. :-O

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    tacmotusn likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7