Did they get it right?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OldDude49, May 31, 2019.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Texas legalizes brass knuckles and other self-defense weapons

[​IMG]

or are they just crazy?

(Gray News) – Starting in September, Texans will be able to legally use brass knuckles for self-protection.

Gov. Gregg Abbott signed House Bill 446 over the Memorial Day weekend, making it lawful to carry things like brass knuckles, wild kat keychains and clubs for self-defense.

State Rep. Joe Moody filed the legislation, saying too many people were being charged with a crime for owning the self-defense tool, the Texas Standard reported.

“We recently also lifted the prohibition on switchblades,” Moody said. “We aren’t living in ‘West Side Story.’ Maybe at one point this was used to identify criminal elements, but it’s just not the case anymore.”

Ahead of the signing, he told The Dallas Morning News: “Hopefully, now, with this on the way to the governor, we can ensure these types of laws aren’t being used inappropriately to go after folks who have legitimate tools of self-defense.”

Supporters of the legislation see it as part of the state’s commitment to the Second Amendment.

The new law goes into effect on Sept. 1.

Copyright 2019 Gray Television Group, Inc. All rights reserved.

Get the latest updates from wkyt.com delivered to your browser

(Gray News) – Starting in September, Texans will be able to legally use brass knuckles for self-protection.

Texas legalizes brass knuckles and other self-defense weapons

HK_User, Sapper John, oldawg and 5 others like this.
  2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

We have been getting the change over the last decade that the Dems promised. Look at the terrible decline in the cities. The homeless and druggies have taken over. Even the Mexican leader has said USA is turning into a ghetto. You don't have to go south of the border to see filth and decay, we got plenty of it right here folks. Can totally anarchy be far away?
    I hate to bitch and give no solution suggestions for fear of being called a snowflake.
    The southern border is being held wide open by liberal courts, obstructionist dems and rinos, and bullshit investigations into the President whose hands appear to be tied from advancement of possible solutions.
    Politically correct progressive ideology is going to be the ruin of the Nation.

Bandit99, GOG, HK_User and 6 others like this.
  3. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

seems that way....

tacmotusn and Meat like this.
  4. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Auto-knives are illegal here. I’ve written letters to my representatives and gotten no reply. Lineman, fisherman, and countless others deserve the right to obtain and carry these legally. :D

GOG, HK_User, tacmotusn and 4 others like this.
  5. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

All blades legal in TN now, owning and carrying, but brass knuckles are OK to own but illegal to carry. Guns still taxed to purchase your right to bear as carry permits are sold by the state. Constitutional 2nd Amendment carry, without paying for your right, is still illegal behind the Soybean Curtain.
    Personally, I think the Texan law legalizing brass knuckles is nuts.

6. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

For self defense anything goes as far as I'm concerned ! Good for Texas.

Mountainman, SB21, GOG and 7 others like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Those spiffy self auto opening knives just became legal here several months ago,Why I don't know me?

GOG, oldman11, HK_User and 2 others like this.
  8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Not Crazy here, as they are now legal to carry and just as a Gun is now legal unless used to commit a crime so too are other weapons if used to in committing a crime,

It places the responsibility in the Hands and pockets of legal folks.

"State Rep. Joe Moody filed the legislation, saying too many people were being charged with a crime for owning the self-defense tool, the Texas Standard reported."

What's wrong with that?

Mountainman, Meat, oldawg and 3 others like this.
  9. HK_User

Try opening a standard folder in winter with glove to cut string from a round bale!
    One reason I like auto knives.

SB21, GOG, Meat and 3 others like this.
  10. HK_User

Ah yes, limit the rights of a free citizen to carry self protection.

And that was the basis for the Laws after 1865 in the South enacted by the Carpet Baggers but used mostly to control Blacks.

Be careful what you think is nuts. It may well bite you in in the posterior.

History, is in the next anti something law.

11. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have a pretty decent collection of switch-blades, dating back to the late 1800s and some really nice custom made ones but they will never beat my Spyderco Police for ease and speed of deployment, or the Puma White-hunter in the cross scabbord behind my back.

GOG, Meat, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  12. HK_User

Or a 8 3/4 inch Bagwell Bowie "for ease and speed of deployment" I carry when I like.

Please note some who post in this forum consider my statement above as BS and as Key Board Bravdo, but that is their right.

OTOH. Below is a place I like to buy from. Real Survivors of the Russians attempts to kill them off.

We send a monthly Propaganda letter to you, but Data tells us you haven't opened the messages. To avoid filling your inbox with rubbish, we won't send these anymore.

In case this is a terrible mistake, worry not! Just click on any link in this message and you're back in action! For example, check out the latest benefits of Regular Pigs!

P.S. If you're actually dead, please contact our customer service. We rarely get messages from the other side these days, but it's always a great chat. Click here to visit our graveyard.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    GOG, Meat and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. HK_User

Most of what you read is meant to change your minds and is against Free Will and Protection and meant to add confusion to the 2nd Amendment Laws.

Below is TEXAS Style Clarification.

Thank you for your help, TSRA members, and thank you, Senator Campbell and Rep. Flynn

SB 535 by Senator Donna Campbell (R-New Braunfels) and Representative Dan Flynn (R-Van) passed and has been signed by Governor Abbott. This is a big clarification for handgun licensees when CHL law first passed.
    At that time PC 46.035 was added with a list of additional prohibited locations and in 1995, the list included churches and synagogues.
    In 1997 the Legislature created PC 30.06, the language for a sign to be used by private property owners to prohibit those licensed to carry a concealed handgun. At that time a line (i) was added to PC 46.035. (read below)

Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
    (b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:

(6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.
    (i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

Yes, all the above is very confusing.
    What Senator Campbell's bill does is to remove reference to Churches and Synagogues from PC 46.035 and ends the confusion.
    Churches and Synagogues are no longer mentioned in law and are treated as other private property owners This is the link to SB 535 to read the change.
    Personal Protection Options
    should not be confusing!

Meat and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I normally carry a Buck out in the field,But then again I don't have any bales to deal with?

buck.

SB21 and Meat like this.
  15. HK_User

Buck's fine, in warm temps I often carry a sheath knife, but with heavy clothing a auto or assist can be carried in a coat pocket.

SB21, Gator 45/70, Meat and 1 other person like this.
  16. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

In the context of self defense would you rather carry a .22lr derringer when that 1911a1 right next to it is completely legal to carry? This law is just righting some wrong headed crap shoved down our throats 150 years ago and onward. My opinion is, as stubborn as I am, it still doesn't go far enough to address a CITIZEN's rights. Why should a auto knife or brass knuckles be illegal when a bowie or claw hammer ain't? Place the responsibility on the person not the tool. Them boys up in Bowie county Texas had it right when it came to carpetbaggers.

SB21, Gator 45/70, HK_User and 3 others like this.
  17. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

What would normally just be a fistfight, maybe a fat lip or busted nose will now move into homicide territory. Cracked skulls, fractured faces, teeth knocked out, facial gashes, eyes knocked out of sockets. Incredible damage can be done with these things, you would have to witness it I guess, and who is attracted to carrying them, petite women - no, muscular men who already are bullies enough to want to see others hurt badly at their hand.
    If I ever visit Texas again - hopefully not as I tend to avoid 3rd world hell holes in my old age - but if I do, I will be packing heat and won't hesitate to shoot to kill to avoid all the maiming and sport beatings that are a potential hazard in the Lone Star ghetto.

Gator 45/70, Meat and oldman11 like this.
  18. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Alaska 'normalized' their knife laws a while back - now it's OK to carry what had been a 'deadly weapon'.

Make no mistake, if you USE the thing, you will be on the dock for it. But mere possession is no longer a crime.
    Even sword canes are are no longer illegal to carry.

So toting my Asp baton is cool once more....

Gator 45/70, HK_User, Meat and 2 others like this.
  19. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

And maybe, just maybe, some shorter tempers will be curbed by the threat of pain and suffering. It will NOT bother me if a lesson in civility is taught by seeing some of that damage. Pull a set of brass knucks on me and meet my little friend.

20. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

"An armed society is a polite society."

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7