Dies Irae: Day of Wrath a novella by William R. Forstchen

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by Motomom34, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I will not describe events from the book nor will I reveal spoilers.

The back of the book told of what would transpire in the novella. I knew this book would be hard to read but I felt compelled to. The author's foreword began: This is a book that I did not want to write. He didn't want to write it and I didn't want to read it but it needed to be told and the country needs to know just how vulnerable and predictable we really are. Americans need to read this, they need to see the issues between our leaders, our enemies and ourselves.
    This novella had tears running down my face. It made me grasp, feel a sense of dread, panic and just plain terror. This is a story that could happen tomorrow and we would be at the mercy of an enemy that has sworn to bring the great Satan to their knees. The story had me read the last pages only to be filled with the dread that the consequences of an attack from a sworn enemy could result in loss of much more then just lives.

Follows is the description on Amazon:
    Forstchen was so true in this novella. When tragedy strikes as a parent my first instinct, desire and driving force are my children, to gather them and keep them safe. As we saw with the Sandy Hook shooting, parents flocked to the school but when the shoot is not a psychotic lone gunman but instead trained killers with an agenda and knowledge of actions and reactions, the result can be much worse. Forstchen brilliantly shows how well our enemy knows us yet we do not truly know our enemy, nor are many willing to sink to their level of commitment to defeat the enemy.

Sun Tzu saidKnow thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories.”

Who is thy enemy?

Day of Wrath: William R. Forstchen: 9781625781543: Amazon.com: Books

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

So you are recommending we all read this book?

3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Yes I do. When reading it think of what you would do. I recall with the Sandy Hook shooting, I just cried, now imagine that times 5. Imagine the country under attack by an enemy that swore to harm us, yet the people who are to be protecting us don't seem to be taking the threat seriously. As a parent I have always questioned the "cower in place" that they teach our children. Human instinct is fight or flight, if that is so then why do the schools want to children to lay on the floor behind a locked door and hope that help comes before the gunman gets to them.

The character, Bob Petersen had some weapons training but he was not ready for what he faced, no one would be ready. I do hope some monkeys read this book. Hope that some read it and are impacted by it. I think most on this site have their eyes open but have we really thought of how hard our country could be hit by ISIS?

Tully Mars likes this.
  4. rle737ng

rle737ng Monkey+++

In addition, the fictional enemies have our national response nailed. "Never let a crisis go to waste". That will probably be our epitaph as a nation.

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. bagpiper

bagpiper Heretic

I said long ago, that political correctness would be the death of us...
    Sadly, that is coming true. Cultural Marxism (PC) freezes the mind and causes ones internal OODA loop to react too slowwwwwly.
    I loved 'One Second After'. It was required reading for all congress critters. It too, was very difficult to read, but, you can't put it down... imagine a cannibalistic gang banger warlord... it was very well done...

Motomom34 and Tully Mars like this.
  6. Gafarmboy

Gafarmboy Monkey+++

This is a must read. I could not put it down. As a HS teacher this is our worst nightmare. My Asst. Principal read it and has since become a proud gun owner and is working on his 2nd Glock, This story will send shivers up your spine and tears down your cheeks. The premise of this story could so easily happen and the result would be untold grief and death.

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Great book.

Motomom34 likes this.
  8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I am bumping this because in light of this weeks savage murder by ISIS. Even the most pacifist liberals are starting to think ISIS needs to be 100% taken out. The killing so far have taken place overseas but do not be fooled, they can attack at anytime.

Ganado likes this.
  9. Hulka73

Hulka73 Monkey+++

Just read this last week, and agree with everything written above. I live about 500 yards from an elementary school. My son attends kindergarden there now. When I first read One Second After years ago, it freaked me out for weeks and I didn't have kids at the time. Now, reading this with 2 children I feel the same way.

Motomom34 and mysterymet like this.
  10. TexasAggie

TexasAggie Monkey+++

I just ordered this book from Amazon and have a pre-order for his nest book. We lived in N. VA at the time of the sniper attacks and around our office we discussed how just a handful of snipers could terrorize the US. Just randomly shoot several cars on different major freeway interchanges during one week, doing nothing for several weeks and then doing it again. this could put fear into every day activities. I only filled up on Military installations and shopped on them (one lady was killed at a Home Depot).

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Bump. For those of you that haven't read this, IMO it is an important book. I do not think it will ever leave me. I happen to spend time after reading a book and try to find what I would have done differently. If the terrorists step it up from lone wolf attacks and do a major coordinated attack across the country, are you prepared?

12. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

At least i won't go down without takig a few pot shots at them myself.

13. rle737ng

rle737ng Monkey+++

I need to reread this in light of current events. Does anyone think our Dear Leader wouldn't welcome a Mega Beslan here?

Motomom34 likes this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

When you have leaders that have said, "You never want a serious crisis to go to waste." IMO that says it all. These TPTB have an agenda and they are willing to do what they can to achieve it, even if it means allowing thousands of terrorists into the country.

15. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Interestingly, I missed this when it was posted and now run across it in mid-reread of One Second After and marveling at the depth of Mr Forstchen's writing...just ordered this one for Kindle, but will have to wait for decent WiFi to take delivery. That gives me more time to enjoy OSA...

Motomom34 likes this.
  16. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Attached is an interview Dr. Forstchen did about the book. Forstchen really has a clear vision of how evil these terrorist really are.
    This is an old interview

17. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Yes, this is an excellent read!

I have been a William Forstchen fans since he wrote his "Rally Cry" while taking his Master's. In my opinion, the Rally Cry is one of the best Sci-Fi/Fantasy series ever written. I was furious when it went out of print and the publisher refused to make an eBook of it and wrote many a nasty gram. I waited years, decades... Recently, that has changed and the first eBook has now release and sells for $6.99. I am guessing that the Publisher realizes that better to do this than have people make their own and then putting them up to be pirated which was what was happening. There was chatter that Tom Cruise purchased the movie rights back in 2012.

Forstchen's publisher really are one of the worse when comes to price gouging and they priced his eBooks right at the extreme, $10 minimum with anything new at $13...which is why I think he published "Day of Wrath' himself, $3.99, is more than fair for such an excellent author.

It's fast, it's short, and it's too the point...yes, he really gets his point across. A deal at $4!

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. T. Riley
  2. Oltymer
  3. C.T.Horner
  4. Bishop
  5. C.T.Horner
  6. cabot
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. DLConcepts
  9. UncleMorgan
  10. TailorMadeHell
  11. VikingRaider