Diesel generator build

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by oil pan 4, May 14, 2023.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I made a yanmar taper shaft diesel engine out of several other broken yanmars and it started. It leaked oil out of the generator side, but I took the numbers off the old seal and bought a new seal and replaced it, doesn't appear to be leaking oil anymore.
    Don't have a muffler for it, can't attach anything to it yet as the exhaust port hole threads are blown out, I can helicoil it so not a problem. Surprisingly it doesn't seem to be much louder with out a muffler, but I haven't ran it under full load yet.
    I'll probably straight pipe it. Appears to have the same exhaust flange pattern as a big single cylinder honda (240cc and up).

The generator is pieces from 2 other generators. It appears to have a good stator, I believe the armature is good. It had a bad capacitor so a stuck a salvaged HVAC capacitor in there, also the shaft bearing is going out. I'm going to replace the armature bearing when it comes in, already ordered a replacement.

I don't have a fuel tank, I turned the fuel tank on my dead wood chipper engine into a remote fuel tank just for testing.

2. duane

duane Monkey+++

If it doesn't have brushes and a regulator, ie, brush less, you may find that the value of the cap sets the voltage, use it with the exciter winding to create the field in the rotor. At least that has been my experience. Sounds like a lot of fun.

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I haven't messed with changing out capacitors values yet but I'm expect changing the capacitance will change output volts.
    They originally had a 40uf, I stuck an old 45uf that tests as 41uf in there, should be close enough.
    It would be nice if I could run it at 50hz and get 120v out of it with just a capacitor change.
    It may not be exact Honda exhaust size, but close enough to where I can make it fit with a dermal. Fresh helicoils installed and reused the exhaust studs from my broken wood chipper engine.
    20230514_155722-1.

The intake heater works.
    Draws about 33 amps.
    20230513_193126.

The electric starter, made from 2 or 3 other starters draws 76 amps cranking over the engine.

4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Like how you build stuff and make it work!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7