Energy Diesel Generators, (surplus)

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by azrancher, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Thought I would show off a nice little photo I took today (or rather, my wife took). Not shown is my personal MEP-002A. :) 1.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Haul the to south Texas, and triple you Investment...

3. The two 002s at the end just came from San Antonio last week!

4. BTPost

Bet they wish they had them back....

5. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Could you post a report on their condition and use?

Or are they strictly for resale?

6. With any luck, these will find homes here in New England with other like minded folks who desire having piece of mind. The two air cooled units at the right are MEP-002As, that I haven't even had a chance to go through yet, but they look to be in pretty good shape overall (past some peeling paint and some slight rust on a few areas). Each have new hour meters.. with hours under 30 each (one has a new engine in it as well).

The smaller camo unit is a water cooled MEP-802A that I am still working on. No fuel issue... should be easy enough to tackle, all just takes time. The big camo is an MEP-803A with under 30 hours (2010). Replaced the governor cable last weekend. In the middle of building a load bank tester that will draw up to 13.5kw (two 5400w circuits, and one 2700w) so I can give it a proper spanking. I only have a 30A connection on my house, because I have gas heat and a woodstove (on purpose for each).

7. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

@BTPost
    I was looking at Smokestack forum for any pictures to compare of what I purchased in the 1800 rpm market .
    It runs well now (after doing injectors & pump ) but looking for more info on the schematics , previous dude painted all the stickers .Any Idea of a close model # IMG_5094. IMG_5092. IMG_5093.

Light in the Dark likes this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

DKD genset IS WHAT WAS seller Simpson Maxwell thinks

9. BTPost

Ok, I do have all the manuals for the DKD Gensets.. i will need a valid eMail address that can accept Large attachments, to send them to... These are Solid little Gensets, that will do a good job for you... I would replace the Bearing on the end of the Genend, just because, if you can... I believe this is a Kubota Engine tied to an Onan Genend...

10. Cruisin Sloth

Yes sir .On your recommence I did the purchase .
    I can do a bearing replacement , manuals help for the correct procedure .
    Thanks Sloth

PM sent With Addy
    & some pix of what this OLD body has been up to !!
    New Metal roof, each panel is 12" & clips on top the two foot center on the truss , the #14 X 6" stainless 316 screw now go's into the truss.
    Here on the wet coast we get some smokin winds & storms .

@BTPost
    Any manuals on the mechanical for the rear Bearing ? ETC . As You know parts take the longest to get .

Sloth

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  11. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Jump on it Az. Not sure what those pipes are, but MAY be related to the off skid fuel system. (Don't take that to the bank.) The price looks to be in line.

13. BTPost

Those are the outputs of the Exhaust Manafold for each of the two, two Cyl Banks... Looks to be unmuffled... That is a MEP003, which is an Onan DJF Engine, turning a .MIL Spec Genend... It will put out up to 12.5 Kw with ease, and the .MIL Rating is 10 Kw.. The whole AC side is .MIL Spec, but the DC side is 24Vdc... Starter, GlowPlugs, Control Systems and Electrics... I think I have the Depot Maintainance Manual in PDF somewhere, back home...

Light in the Dark and ghrit like this.
  14. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

OK, that makes sense, in pics 2&3 the hose shown to go into the air cleaner must be pre-heated by the exhaust manifold.

No response back from an message I sent to his cell...

Rancher

ghrit likes this.
  15. Cruisin Sloth

Low hrs & good price

16. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Going to look at it Tuesday, what do you do for a muffler for that sucker! I suspect it will still be for sale for a while because he lives in the middle of nowhere on the AZ-NM border... @BTPost you could have stopped by and picked it up for me, dang.

Rancher

17. Cruisin Sloth

Two choices on muffler , water cooled / water heater or , just one thats is a pairing type , 2 into 1 outlet .
    Wait till purchased & figure out where it sits & whats close or to dual purpose the exhaust heat . Seeing AZ , winters cold ? and no sun ?

Sloth

18. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Yeah it gets pretty dark here, typically at night. Cold, I think it might have hit 25 this past winter, prob below 32 maybe 5 times, it was a very warm winter.

19. Cruisin Sloth

Need to heat a water system to have a mass of water for a green house etc ??
    Just a quick BF
    Sloth

20. OK, so as stated thats an MEP-003A. They are beasts! Has the seller verified that it runs? Have you SEEN it run? One of the most common foul ups on these older units is the injector pumps. If they have not been run consistently, or in a while, the plunger can stick, and then you need to take the IP out and rebuild it (parts are still available from AMBAC thankfully).

It has three fuel pumps (one auxiliary and two for main use), as well as inline EMI filters (these filters can fail easily, and shut the machine down... you can cut them out, and rewire back to the jack, and be operational again). One water/fuel separator, and two fuel filters. Very simplistic, but very rugged machines. A muffler will do little to quiet this beast (most of the noise is going to come from the genhead, actually).

Will do single and three phase (120 single, 120/240 single, and 120/208 3ph).... user selectable.

1. STANGF150
  2. BailyTheFox
  3. Benjamin A. Wood
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. BenP
  7. ColtCarbine
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. ghrit
  12. oil pan 4