Diesel Truck Motor Longevity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 3M-TA3, Jan 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

If any one needs a bigger truck then these pickups, like for hauling a big ass 5th wheel, the Freightliner FL-60 can be had with the bigger Cummins C-8.3 OR the CAT 3126 Diesels and Allison Automatic trannies. Ironically, these get pretty good fuel mileage ( my Cat gets about 15) and they have much bigger and powerful brakes! International also has the 4900 series with the stellar DT466! These are awesome trucks, and get pretty good mileage too, about 15 to 17 on the highway! Only downside to the IHC is you have to go to a ICH specialty shop to get any work done! I have three IHC, but mine are all Cat Powered, great for power, not so much for fuel economy! For those wanting to swap in a diesel, the Isuzu 4.2 and bigger 5.2 4 Cylinder engines and trannies are bomb proof, and they run very quiet, and most have an exhaust brake as standard, and they are very easy to install and hook up! I have a 5.2 and auto in my Tucker, what a difference that made, top speed went from 25 miles per hour ( with a Dodge 318, 4 speed) to 45 Mph and instead of 1.2 miles per gallon, I went up to 6.2!!!!!! it also warms up faster and I can leave it idle all night during the winter and it's nice and warm when I get in and ready to go!

Loki, 3M-TA3 and sec_monkey like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Unfortunately, the Ford 6.0 has a number of problems, it eats up turbos, and has injection rail issues, and eats injectors, which get VERY expensive!
    The Fords I have with the 7.3 DI turbo seem to get about 17 Miles Per Gallon, the two big SUV.s do slightly better then the pickups, and all have about the same mileage! So far, the only issues were EGR valves, and one had a injector fail, and one needed a new Fuel control module, cost about $ 900 from Navistar! Other then that, they have been pretty solid and tough! The Pickups seem to go through brakes pretty often, but with 15000 pound trailers, that's ok with me!

3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Mrs 3M and I were out most of the day looking for me as well as for her. All strikeouts so far. My rationale for diesel is that the engines last longer and my price range put me at about ten year old vehicles, and I don't want to buy a truck and then immediately have to put $$$ into the engine. Diesel also gives me the power if I really need to move something, and stores up to ten years. From previous research the 5.9 is the best of the Cumins, though I'm no where near an expert in things automotive let alone diesels.

I'm sticking to Rams for a variety of reasons not the least of which is I have two full sets of new mounted tires - one studded snow tires and the others my regular street ones. That's a fair investment in my price range I don't want to throw away. I'm not a fanboy of any brand, though - I've owned Chevy, GMC, Ford, and Dodge. Each has strengths and weaknesses, but I've all around like my current 97 Ram 2500 the most. It's been a great truck, but I need a quad cab and 4WD that it doesn't have and its just time to move on. I'll definitely do to school on the front ends as @Ura-Ki pointed out and have whatever I get gone through.

Sorry @Yard Dart the lift on your rig is a DQ. I'd need a ladder and Mr's 3M would need stairs, otherwise based on what I saw today I'd bite.

The Hemi's are also pretty intriguing - A buddy has a V8 that lets 4 cylinders "ride" when his truck gets up to speed for better mileage. I can also get a newer, nicer truck for the same money, or save money all other things equal.

Yard Dart and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

dodge doesn't use glow plugs. I got well over half a million miles out of my '92 with the Cummins. The reason I sold the truck was because the engine was the only thing left on it that was still good. It was not using more than a pint of oil between changes. Keep the valves adjusted, change the oil about every 6,000 miles, and use good quality oil, Rotella or delo , and a million miles would not surprise me at all.

5. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

I was just wondering how long it would be before someone caught that. Cummins uses an air intake heater rather than glow plugs...and Ford diesels (6.9 and 7.3) don't have egr valves.

Maintaining...correctly maintaining, that is...will provide long life from a Cummins or pre2002 International (Ford).
    Forget the Ford 6.0/6.4/6.7 for longevity (jury is still out on 6.7 as it is a complete redesign). Injectors, oil pump (due to lifters failing and scoring the pump and front cover) FICM, turbo, oil cooler, egr cooler...well, you get the idea.
    Detroit 6.2/6.5 are weak by comparison, but the pre computer ones were fairly reliable. Cummins weakest point were not the engine itself, but rather the fuel lift pump, causing lack of lubrication of the injection pump...more so on non-common rail engines. Isuzu 5.2 is ok, but injectors must have their flow rates programmed into the computer. 6.6 V8 has the same issue, but is IMHO poorly designed for the mechanic's perspective...a good example is the water pump potentially dumping coolant into the crankcase. Or on the earlier engines, the rocker boxes must be removed to change an injector. Idiots!

If possible, avoid one of ANY manufacture that requires DEF (diesel exhaust fluid)! Yes, you can delete it and install a tuner, but in states with emission testing you're screwed. Most vehicles with the system will derate the engine to the point of merely idling if you run out of fluid or have a sensor failure.

6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I've heard that the DEF was nothing more than Windex? True or False?

techsar, sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Mainly Urea mixed with other liquids, Prolly to cool the exhaust even further! Not entirely sure! Expensive, and smells awful!!!!

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  8. Loki

Loki Monkey

I have owned diesels for the last 15 years. 2002 F350, 2004 F250, 2 2006 F250s, 2013 F350. I will never own another diesel truck. We pull a 40' fifth wheel. If you are goi g to work the truck, they make some sense. If you are going to use it as a dd and drive from home to work and back, probably not the best option. They are really cool and make a whole bunch of power, but if you aren't using it consistently, not worth the costs associated with them. My next tugger will most likely be a gasoline truck, single FB_IMG_1509676747382. FB_IMG_1509677011457. rear wheel. Our typical range with a 14k 5th wheel is usually 200-300 miles.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. Loki

Loki Monkey

I have blown the head gaskets on this truck twice now. First time was 8k. It is now looking for a teenaged boy who doesn't care to work on it all the time. I can't find my pics of it right now, but it's ugly.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. Loki

Loki Monkey

FB_IMG_1509676932983. Best two trucks I own. FB_IMG_1509676766507.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

32% Urea...get outside a narrow margin and a urea contamination code will kick in.

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  12. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

in the '65 Power Wagon

5.9 Cummins.

13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Here's one of the very best things you can do with a Cummins! My 42 Dodge Power Wagon project! BT-4 3.9 punched out to 4.2 and Holset 3125XX turbo, 80HP upgrade Cali spec injectors, and "green" fuel plate! Should make about 375 HP with this set up! Once I get the body all put back on it, I will be adding a charge air cooler to it!

[​IMG]

14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

My Newest Baby! Scored this one owner with 180k on the clock! Loaded with every thing, and it all works and was really cared for! Best Dodge I have seen these days! [​IMG]

15. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I shared this before, but every one loves it, and I gotta include it in this thread! My 46 WC-30 1 ton P.W. with identical Cummins set up! 19 MPG and you KNOW your driving a truck with this one! I love these trucks!!!

[​IMG]

16. Loki

Loki Monkey

Now that's a truck!^^^^^

apache235, 3M-TA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  17. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

After a lot of searching I finally bought this guy. No diesel, but I got the 5.7L Hemi, so at least I get the diesel sound and power :). These Hemi's are interesting because when you need power all 8 cylinders operate, but when you get up to speed half of them idle to get better highway mileage. It's pretty fun to watch the built in instantaneous mileage display - you can see exactly when those transitions happen. It was slightly over my budget, but I'm pretty happy.

I had a navigation unit installed yesterday (we are picking up Mrs. 3M's vehicle at car toys tonight - got the exact same units) along with front and rear cams. Weathertech goodies are also on the way. Next up is a trip to NW Running boards so Mrs 3M can get in without a step ladder.

This one will be around a long time.

upload_2018-1-24_16-52-30.

18. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Nice looking ride 3M!! [chopper]

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and sec_monkey like this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Andy the Aussie
  3. Thunder5Ranch
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Motomom34
  6. STANGF150
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7