Different brand knives that you like

Discussion in 'Blades' started by hank2222, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Bison_Forge

Bison_Forge Aspiring Knifemaker

Well said. My criteria is similar, people often ask me how to select a good knife and the only thing that I can really tell them besides 'get good brand name stuff', is to just get out in the field with the knife and use it, that is the best way to determine the best knife for you. Sorry for the run on sentence, I stink at that type of thing. Tool boxes do tend to hold all sorts of surprises dont they, a friend of mine opened his truck box to get an ax, and found a rattle snake instead.

2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

G96 - My old drop point fixed blade has skinned and dressed more deer than I can recall
    Puma
    CRKT
    Gerber
    Ontario (RTAK and RAT series)

3. SmileyTHFK

SmileyTHFK Monkey+

In Uniform EDC: Gerber Multitool & CRKT M16-14SF
    In Civies EDC: Benchmade Infidel 3300, Benchmade Paradue, & Gerber Folding Box Cutter (replaceable razors make that thing awesome!)

4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

gotta love "The old Randal knife" song... a real classic....

5. Spartan300

Spartan300 Monkey+

I enjoy Gerber knives and multi-tools. Buck is a good knive as well, especially for the money.

6. hedger

hedger Monkey+

3 Choices

EDC: Spyderco Native--I like that fat blade; it does a lot of work.

Fixed Blade: Seal Pup Elite

Multi-Tool: I confess that I just don't get it about multi-tools. I'll grab anything available that looks like it has a blade, screwdrivers, pliers, etc. I don't even know if it has a brand name--I picked it up cheap at Harbor Freight Tool.

I would not mind getting a little more educated about the value of multi-tools by some of my fellow posters who are more enthused about them.

Cutting to the chase: For multi-tools what's the best and what should I stay away from?

7. Spartan300

Spartan300 Monkey+

The knives you mention are fantastic. I am a multi-tool nut for some reason. I prefer Gerber and Leatherman tools. SAK makes a fine multi also. I use my multi daily! Screw drivers, pliers, knife, and a light all in one tool is a must have in my opinion. I just bought a "Gerber Fit" a couple of weeks ago. Included with the tools is an on-board light that shines a bright 24 lumen's. To me this is very very handy. Whether in the bush or on the farm I would feel lost if I didn't have one on me every single day.

8. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I bought a Native but like the Delica it was too small for my hand - gave both away. I'd have to go with a Endura-sized model if I went with Spyderco.

9. outlawblues

outlawblues Monkey+

I agree love my kabar carbon , but also my kukuri is a favorite when i want a slightly longer blade it was custom ordered from the house of exgurka in Kathmandu bought one a little shorter for my son so he also had a good hand forged knife also a great knife is my bowie it is a western cutlery they stopped production about 30 years ago but it is also good carbon blade , I hate stainless any thing other than pots and pans

10. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I am very fond of the Puma White-Hunter knife and would like to buy another one or two, if anyone wants to sell theirs.

11. Witch Doctor 01

Smokey mountain knifew works sells them... i'm keeping mine...

12. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Aw come on...give you case of beer for it? Just wait until Bud brewery has been closed for a month and imagine what Bubba will pay for that?

13. Witch Doctor 01

My white hunter is over 39 years old.... older than many monkeys.... i'm kinda attached to it...:D

14. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Folders: I tend to stick mainly to Cold Steel, Buck, Kershaw and Gerber.
    Fixed: Mora, various milspec blades, and Llewellyn knives are my favorites.
    Axes: Cold Steel makes excellent axes, and I own a few. Tomahawks the same.

Other brands which serve well but aren't at the top of my list for various quality reasons are: Schrade, Smith and Wesson, and SOG. I will note that each of these brands have really good products, but sometimes it is hit and miss.

15. KB01

KB01 Monkey+

Multi-tool: leatherman

Folders: Opinel, Gerber and my Svord peasant knife (friction folder, yes I am a bit eccentric)

Fixed blade: Dexter Russell Green River boning knife and skinning knife, Mora classic No. 2 and hunter, various cheep Chinese drop point knives, and various home made knives.

There are many other knives I would like to test drive, but funds don't stretch that far at the moment.

16. mvehpd

mvehpd Monkey+

Folders: Hinderer, Strider, Emerson, & Chris Reeve
    Fixed: Krein, Dozier, & ESEE

17. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

I use to like Gerber,but their now made in China.I used to like Buck knives,but their now made in China.Schrade,Old Timer,Frost Cutlery,Case,Smith&Wesson all made in China.The only quality blades made in the U.S.A.anymore cost an arm,and a leg.I've actually got a liking for the mid to high end M-Tech's($35.00+).Before you poo,poo the Chinese made M-Tech's,most of the above mentioned brands are made in the same facility,and are made from inferior steel to the M-Tech's in many cases.Right now for the cost($35.00)I like the M-Tech fixed blade tactical tanto.The blade is a sturdy 1/4"thick,and will both hold and take an edge.It also has a decent rubber grip that fits the hand comfortably.Matt

Bison_Forge likes this.
  18. rat.maze

rat.maze Monkey+

Folders: CRKT, Benchmade
    Fixed: Ka-bar, Mora, Gerber, Buck
    Multi-tool: Gerber and Leatherman

I scored a Leatherman two-pack at Academy the other day for $19.99. I can't remember the models, but one was small and the other was full size.

19. chambers270

chambers270 Monkey++

There are some good knives listed on this old thread, thought I would bring it back.

My favorite folder for carry right now is a CRKT M21-02G.
    I love the green handle Pumas for deer cleaning.
    Knives of Alaska Alpha Wolf for fixed blade hunting.
    Browning FDX fixed blade for my survival pack.
    Fiskars Brush Axe is my favorite machete type tool.

20. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I love my knife Valkman made me. It's his fighter version and the bird and trout knife are my favorites.
    I also have a cold steel recon tanto but it doesn't see much use after reviving the Valkman collection.
    I have a copper coated cable forged blade push knife with a bone handle I received from. Melbo. It is one of my most special gifts I've ever received.

Brokor likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7