Different brand knives that you like

Discussion in 'Blades' started by hank2222, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I have been considering slightly re-profiling the Valkman fighter I have, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I mean, if Don was still making blades, sure I would do it. It's kind of a treasure, but I am not afraid to use it. Of course, I do have a bird and trout that he made, and it doesn't have a handle! It was one of his last left overs he was getting rid of. I really need to get a bushcraft blade in Scandi grind made from 3v or S30V steel.

But yeah, I have been doing some reading on blades here at the SM and I thought it would be great to bring more blade discussions forward and try to add to them a bit.

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  2. Zombie

Zombie Lead Zombie Operator

Wow so happy that there are other knife nuts here LOL! Personally I love Spyderco, sinister sharp and affordable. (Plus they partner with some of my favorite knife makers such as Fred Perrin, Laci Szabo etc.) I didn't want to start a new thread and don't want to hijack this one either. I am working out which products to bring in from my supplier. Of course you all are interested in knives but if you are interested in ordering something please let me know and if we carry it I can get you a great price. I was looking at getting some Microtech and Kabar knives (specifically the Zombie versions). We are setting up our Zombie section and need some good stuff there. We want to carry quality tools (knives are tools!), things that we would use in our own home, not the cheap $5 stuff that will snap in half and stab you in the face lol. So far I've read Kabar and Gerber being really popular. Who's interested!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Anyone have a recommendation of a first knife for a older child? I would like it to be one that is in a sheath for easy access, only to be worn while hiking for safety purposes only.

I saw this Knife laws by state (as of 11/2013) so I will have to look into laws but I do not want a zombie killer or anything, just a basic solid knife.

kellory likes this.
  4. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Tough one. So many Choices! Just a few things that I would personally look for in first knives for kids. Most important - fully enclosing sheath with a good snap or clip. Something that clicks or pops to give audible feedback that it is engaged. Second - if it's a folder, it should have a lock. As much as I like Swiss Army Knives, I am not convinced they make a good first knife unless it is a model with locking blades. My first was a SAK with no locks and I cut myself quite a few times! Third - no more than 2-1/2" - 3" blade.

Teach them to keep it sharp too. Sharp blades reduce cutting effort and lead to less accidents!

That's all I got! I'll wait and see what others might suggest.

Motomom34, ghrit and Yard Dart like this.
  5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Those are great points Byte!! I could not add anymore than that.

6. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

One other thing that just popped into my mind. Don't go extravagant on price. Even very responsible kids can lose anything not naturally attached to their bodies. Overly expensive tools when lost may irritate to the point where sharing this experience with kids is no longer fun. Don't let that happen! Give them the responsibility talk again, by all means.

PS Mom & dad, it's a really good thing I found my SAK after having lost it! And I still have it... Thanks!

But boy were they miffed when it seemed to be lost. It was outside of what the family could afford back then.

Bear, gunbunny, Motomom34 and 3 others like this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

My child hikes a lot. Not only on public trails but back country and caving/spelunking. There is a predator that has been sited. I know a stick/pole is good to have but an extra layer of protection would be good. Something that goes bang is NOT an option so I thought a knife that could be worn on the belt and just pulled out if needed.

Hanzo and kellory like this.
  8. yetijoe

yetijoe Monkey

I sometimes need to get the "monkey off my back" and buy another knife. I used to buy Randall's. My ex-wife bought me a model 16 for Valentine's Day in the early 80's, and things kind of took-off from there. I have a couple of model 18's (with a stainless steel walking staff that will converts into a Model 18 spear), a model 19 (I really like), sold a model 17 (handle too small), also sold a model 24 (I actually bought it from a guy named Richard Nixon - not that one). I got into liking old Puma fixed-blades, and have a pre-64 White Hunter still in the wooden box, numerous other fixed-blades. I liked the Tac-1, as it was unusual and had a really nice sheath. Bought a Hackman made knife (Tapio Wirkkala Pukko). It really fits the hand nice. Apparently Tapio used to X-Ray hands to see which handle shape worked best before he decided on his design. I recently bought an ESEE 5 - that's a heavy duty knife. Also a Buck 189 Tanto II with a chisel point. That's really a heavy knife you could just about use for a pry bar (they only made those a couple years). I have two F. Dick 8" stickers. One with a Kydex sheath, and a unique leather one I had made by Joshua Leather in Australia that works really nice on the other one (sheaths are hard to find for these). A couple of Gerber daggers. Also, have a Fallkniven PHK in the mail, that I'm going to have Harry Savage make a leather sheath for. Oh, and lots of Victorinox folders (love these, carry one every day). I buy my son Victorinox, he likes them best. Also have a Silky Nata hatchet (240mm double edged), I bought (cheap on Amazon) one of these for my son-in-law (he loves it), and a Silky ONO. Both are made with really great Japanese steel, and very shock absorbent handles. That's enough for right now.

Ganado and Brokor like this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

@Motomom34, just saw this from your link in @Bear's post.

To me, a stick in hand is worth two knives on the belt my limited understanding of your scenario. What kind of predator you talking about? And how old is your child? And what is the environment like? Feel free to PM in a conversation if divulging goes against OPSEC.

kellory and Motomom34 like this.
  10. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

IMHO you just cannot beat an American made 3 bladed Stockman Knife.
    [​IMG]

I have a new still in the wrap USN model in case I loose my EDC Schrade, like the one below.

My Schrade is inherited and in Carbon Steel, it'll last more than one lifetime.[​IMG]

Bear and Hanzo like this.
  11. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

@Motomom34
    Consider the Schrade Pro hunter..
    [​IMG]
    Great knife, I've had one for years... Sapper John borrowed it for his "Q" course training... around $30.00....

kellory, Yard Dart and Ganado like this.
  12. Brokor

Hanzo likes this.
  13. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2015
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

kellory likes this.
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

16. Brokor

Strider SNG
    strider-sng-cc-swrg-4-hi. strider-sng-cc-swrg-5-hi.

17. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I have one of those french made blades in my tacklebox.

Hanzo likes this.
  18. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Good to go for a young adult for camping/hiking.

Ontario 499 Air Force Survival Knife, Black
    Price: $39.98 Free Shipping for Prime Members
    You Save: $31.97 (44%)

In Stock.
    Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

[​IMG]

by Ontario Knife
    176 customer reviews
    | 22 answered questions

List Price: $71.95
    Price: $39.98 Free Shipping for Prime Members
    You Save: $31.97 (44%)
    In Stock.
    Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
    • U.S. Army- and Air Force-issue survival knife
    • 5-inch Parkerized blade with serrated top edge
    • Comfortable leather handle and sheath
    • Includes sharpening stone with pouch
    • GSA-compliant
    • 39 new from $39.98

Bear, Hanzo and Yard Dart like this.
  19. timberwolf50

timberwolf50 Just be practical Banned

a) Gerber & Sog - fixed (want to try mora roburst)
    a) Gerber & Scrade (before 2003) - folding
    c) Swiss Army, Gerber, and Schrade (before 2003) - utility & multi tool (honestly multi tools are useless to me but needed carry Swiss Army)
    d) had a Bear Grylls parang by Gerber, used it a week very sharp, want to try condor parang
    e) coleman camp axe.... That's all I really use (to me simple is best.)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  20. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Have a Kershaw folder that I got about 3 months ago. Like it a lot and made in USA. Used to have a Gerber Paraframe II and my first one was nice and I want to say made in USA but maybe not. The second one I got (lost the first) was trash.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7