Digital Ham Comms and COMMSEC/OPSEC

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by JediWoodsman, Jan 28, 2020.

1. offgrittyt

offgrittyt You gonna eat that?

I quickly looked at "mygmrs.com", nice website, I saw where the repeater frequencies were listed but not in pairs.
    I built and licensed quite a few repeaters in the 450-470 Mhz band, (at that time the channel spacing was 25 Kc, but I saw the introduction of 25Kc channel spaced equipment capable of being programmed the new 12.5 channel spacing requirement and then eventually saw 6.25 channel spacing), but I digress. The UHF repeater pair spacing in the 450-470 Mhz band was 5 mhz, with the mobile transmitting on the high side and receiving on the low side. When the 800mhz conventional and trunking band came around those mobiles transmitted low and received high but I'm not sure why.
    Anyway, what is the channel separation for repeater pairs in the GMRS band and do the mobiles transmit on the high side or the low side? Also, what is the maximum transmitter power output and can a for example a 3dbd gain antenna be used to double the effective radiated power, or is that an FCC no no just like speaking in riddles is? Anyone? Thanks. :)

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

GMRS Repeater Splits are 5Mhz... and have always been that.... MURS does allow for Voice AND Data messaging, but still needs to be in the clear for both.... The BearTooth devices are an example of MURS Data Messaging... MURS is a simplex only Vhf, Low Power, Blanket Licensed Radio Service similar to Private Aircraft, non-Commercial Marine, FRS and CFR47Part15 Devices...

offgrittyt and sec_monkey like this.
  3. offgrittyt

K thanks BTP

sec_monkey likes this.
  4. offgrittyt

MURS? Beartooth? There are private, (plane to plane and/or plane to ground), aircraft 2-way channels, are they FM or AM like standard aviation channels? Sorry for so many questions.

5. BTPost

Depends on what Radio Service the Aircraft mounted Radio is licensed... If in the Aviation Radio Service (Part 87) all voice Comms would be AM. If in the Maritime Mobile Radio Service (Part80) they would be FM or SSB, depending on Frequency.... If in the Private Radio Services (Part 90) they would be FM, mostly.... In the Personal Radio Services (Part 95) GMRS, FRS & CB does allow for use from an Aircraft or Maritime mobile is by permission of the Pilot/Captain and NOT over any other Countries Territory.. . In the Personal Communications Services (Part 99) there is No provision for Aviation Mobile... If in the Amateur Radio Service (Part 97) they would be ANY EMISSION defined by the Frequency, and Class of Operator License...

sec_monkey likes this.
  6. offgrittyt

Ahh
    I see. I do recall that using a marine radio on land is a no no along with using a CB on water.
    I remember once upon a time, (I have a lot of once upon a times), riding around the city with an FCC tech in his tekky van, (this man whose name I won't mention was absolutely a good guy, not a jerk, very fair, very knowledgeable and very sensible). We weren't chasing down make believe radio, (aka CB), violations, we were looking for a powerful, 250 watt plus ERP, VHF paging transmitter, (remember beepers, everybody had em all you had to do was find a phone booth to respond, [remember phone booths])? Anyway, the transmitter had drifted off frequency and was crashing into adjacent channels disrupting their communications.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    sec_monkey likes this.
  7. BTPost

There has never been a prohibition of using a CB Radio on water, with the permission of the vessels Master... Many fishing vessels have CB Radios fitted...
    Yea, Paging Transmitters have always been a PITB for the FCC... They were install everywhere, On telephone Poles, Roof Tops, ect... and were routinely never maintained, or serviced, until they died, or started interfering with other Radio Services.. and often they would obscure the required Callsign transmissions, by sending it out on a sub-audible Tone at 25 WPM... When I found one like that, it got shut down on the spot, and a BIG FINE imposed, that must be paid, before it was allowed back in service... Ah those were the days...
    The use of a Portable Marine Mobile Station on Land, is permissible, if one has a Marine Utility Coast Station License for that Radio... There is supplemental Eligibility requirement when filing an Application for those Licenses.. I have held a number of those Station Licenses, over the years... There are also Marine Mobile Coast Stations, both Public and Private that can be licensed... I have held a number of those as well...

ghrit, sheen_estevez and offgrittyt like this.
  8. offgrittyt

Oh I see okay thanks for the info. update. Just for the fun of it, here is a simple and clear list of FCC do's and don't regarding CB use; not sure how thorough it is. I don't see anywhere where water restrictions or permissions is even mentioned! FCC Rules and Regulations for CB Radio

9. BTPost

That requirement is in place so that Passengers are required to get the Captain/Master permission to operate a Transmitter when aboard vessel or aircraft, where he is legally responsible for everything that happens, on the ship/aircraft... If he says “NO” then if you violate his order, it is a Federal Felony...

sec_monkey likes this.
  10. JediWoodsman

JediWoodsman Insomnia Monkey

Ok, first, as @sec_monkey noted.... DON'T BREAK THE LAW!
    On that note, I think my thought got away from me a bit (it happens, I have so few of them that I am inexperienced in keeping them in check)
    I know about the One Time Pads (and P.S. the Monkey Net White Paper was a fantastic read and quite inspiring) but the OTP is about encrypting the message, not the transmission medium. It seems out of place if I wanted to tell my buddy that we were going to take the next left at main street while we are in a caravan somewhere.
    I guess my curiosity was, (legality aside as I know you would be in the wrong) I can see how the iDEN phones are the best choice for transmission encryption (and legal), but would 128bit encrypted digital 2m/440/FRS/GMRS radio be.... what?... like a close second? what other negatives are there other than not being spread spectrum/vulnerable to DF?
    The radios are capable of more power/distance, but that brings a bigger footprint for you to be found.
    You actually could transmit a digitally encrypted signal across an open (no tone squelch) analog repeater and it would keep the encrypting (as the analog repeater just boosts all the signals on the input frequency regardless of what they are)
    I know a lot of military/law enforcement are using digitally encrypted radios that are very similar to the ham radio ones (tho 256 bit or better I would imagine)
    I wonder if encryption is legal if you own/lease the frequency (like some businesses do).

Anyway, guess I just wanted to explore what other good options there might be that had some sort of privacy/encryption other than the iDEN phones that seem to be getting pricier and harder to find.

J-Woodsman

sec_monkey likes this.
  11. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

well AES256 is gud. AES128 is ok but less gud.

or maybe ed25519.

however those are normally recommended for wired comms over optical fiber ideally or copper.

they can be used for RF too but that is messy and much less secure and only if legal in yer AO.

a sophisticated adversary can easily break 3DES and pretty much anything less strong than AES128.

keep in mind bluetooth and wifi have all been cracked and have very serious vulns.

any type of encryption over RF is very vulnerable to all kinds of attacks.

offgrittyt likes this.
  12. BTPost

Just a Note here.... Even in the Public Safety Radio Service that use Digital Encryption, there is still a requirement that the Stations Callsign be transmitted in the Clear.... Usually by sub-audible tone with high speed cw...

offgrittyt and sec_monkey like this.
  13. offgrittyt

It's a good and sensible rule for safety. I remember once on a commercial flight, one of the passengers took their phone off of airplane mode. The air Marshall was on him like a flash. Cuffed him then instructed the pilot to drop below pressurization elevation where he was shoved out the door with a parachute on. The air Marshall closed the door and looked at us and quipped, "oops, forgot to pull the rip cord"! Didn't we laugh ....

sec_monkey likes this.
  14. offgrittyt

I used to wire in ANI, (automatic Number Identification), boards into transmitters that would periodically transmit the call sign so the base and mobile users didn't have to sign off with it every time they were done talking. The FCC station identifier was transmitted using audible, analog tones.

I could probably talk to some of y'all if I ever got around to getting my ham license. I do enjoy RF and I know it with my eyes closed even though I've been away from it for twenty years.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2020
    sec_monkey likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7