Dirty Harry was a pussy.....S&W .460 is the way to go.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by chelloveck, May 2, 2016.

1. zombierspndr

zombierspndr Monkey

The .44 mag has been used to successfully take elephants.

The X frame S&W's have the same size grip area as a K frame(.38/.357 frame size). There was a fellow who took one of the snubbie .500's to the indoor range to shoot it for the first time. The first shot planted the front site into his forehead.

UncleMorgan likes this.
  2. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Ok, I've shot the 500 S&W Magnum performance center. I hit the target at 30 yards on the first shot. (freaking sweet trigger i'll add)
    I didn't attempt a second because:
    1. I already hit the target
    2. I'm pretty sure that those bones and tendons in the palm of my hand were barely attached or full of micro fractures that the second would have made my mitt look like one of those zombies with the detaching appendages.

It felt like someone hit my hand with a baseball bat as it lay across a picnic table.

So at least I can say "Been there, done that, way over it." I'm pretty sure the 460 is about the same.

3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

$489.99 would translate to a lot of .22lrs or a whole bunch of .357Magnum reloading components. I think I might prefer more smaller bangs for my buck than some fewer bigger bangs. For the price of a single revolver, one could buy a small battery of cheaper but very serviceable firearms.

On balance, not a very practical purchase...more for someone who has beau coup FRNs to blow as a collector.

It is a firearm calibre that may not be readily available come SHTF, so what you have when TEOTWAWKI goes down is all that you'll probably have.

N.B. The capability exists to re-load this cartridge, thereby reducing costs somewhat.
    Reloading 460 S&W Magnum Page

460 S&W Magnum Load Data - Handloads.Com

This pistol cartridge can also paired with a rifle/carbine platform...which is nice for those who like pigeon pairing their side arms with long rifles. ;)

UncleMorgan likes this.
  4. chelloveck

I think the spelling issue may just be as important, in the grand scheme of things as the "tomayto" or "tomarto" pronunciation quibble...both spellings of the "internal diameter of a firearm's bore" are acceptable and comprehensible. Altering the spelling of the word from calibre to caliber in America has been a relatively recent phenomenon, as language evolution is concerned. (just as an aside, the SM spellchecker function identifies calibre as the correct spelling, and calibre as a dubious spelling....checkmate!):sneaky:

Calibre is the more commonly accepted standard spelling most places around the world, with the exception of America, and places that have embraced American popular culture. Neither spelling is more correct than the other, except for its quibble value by those who wish to quibble.:D

Precise accuracy in identifying what weapon Dirty Harry actually used, is probably less important than the perception that whatever gun Dirty Harry used, and how he used it was totally awesome. Given that Dirty Harry's piece was just a .357 magnum pop gun, just serves to make Dirty Harry even more of a pussy in relation to the thread title. ;) :rolleyes:

UncleMorgan likes this.
  5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

If you are going to gloat about a spellchecker opinion, you might want to spell check it....:rolleyes:

UncleMorgan likes this.
  6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The proper spelling of many English words vary by country. All should be acceptable on a forum where members come from all over the globe. Not only that, many words in the same country can have different meanings. I recall being severely lectured by a customer I was taking to lunch - turns out the local term was dinner, which in my area is the evening meal, and to my customer was supper.

Beyond that, I personally don't give a rip about misspellings as long as I can understand what has been written.

7. chelloveck

Ah, my dear stg, When on the losing end of an argued quibble, quibbles about international exchange rates won't change the outcome of the original quibble....it just comes out seeming snarky rather than erudite.

3M-TA3 has the right of it.

At the end of the day....Dirty Harry is a mythic character with a mythic gun (regardless of calibre/calib er) that makes a big bang when fired, and puts big holes in the villains.....Clint Eastwood just reads the script, factual errors and all.

The spell checker underlines in red words the algorithm detect as being doubtful. It seems that the auto-correct feature sometimes alters the dubious word to the list of accepted spellings in its list of words...sometimes it doesn't auto corr ict. Not a gloat....just recognition of a serendipitous spell checking adjudication that went my way.....this time. ;)

UncleMorgan and kellory like this.
  8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

My auto correct spelling checker has a wicked sense of humor, so I have taken to rereading ANYTHING I post for that very reason. Some of it's attempts at original thought have been both memorable, and epic.
    There, they're, thier,...don't take it so hard.....(tic):rolleyes:

9. zombierspndr

zombierspndr Monkey

The Brits aren't 100% wrong. Part of the filming was done prior to receipt of a .44 magnum, so they used a N frame .357 magnum in the early scenes.

UncleMorgan and chelloveck like this.
  10. chelloveck

Ah...so it's a continuity issue more so than a misidentification issue....in any case....correctly identified or not... the distinction really does not amount to the hill of beans that someone seems to be suggesting. ;)

thank you zombie...you answer has undoubtedly attracted equal portions of gratitude and enmity for your observation. ;)

UncleMorgan likes this.
  11. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

A good friend of mine had a 10" barreled version of the X frame S&W .460 Mag. The .460 mag is not a bored out .45, it is a .45. The revolver can fire .45 Colt (sometimes improperly called Long Colt), .454 Casull, and .460 S&W Mag cartridges.

This pic was taken back in 2007 while on a camping trip. Again, this is a 10" barreled revolver. That's me firing the revolver. My friend and the revolver's owner was taking the video from which this still was extracted.

Shortly after this photo I came to the same conclusion that many here did, that there really is little practical use. The revolver is so large and heavy that you wouldn't want to carry it very far. If I were in BT Post country, I'd prefer a modern strong lever action .45-70 over any handgun, but maybe that's just me.

460MAG.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  12. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

So, did they need a fire extinguisher to put the guys fingers out afterwards?

And is there really a gun in there, somewhere?

You could barbecue a moose with a flash like that.

Altoidfishfins and chelloveck like this.
  13. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

go with something you are good with -not with something that is just something you can't shoot and cost too much to shoot

Altoidfishfins and chelloveck like this.
  14. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

and if i had 6,000 to throw away the local gun store has a full size Gatling 45/70 on a gun cart i would just love to have==boy would that scare the gang bangers LOL

kellory and chelloveck like this.
  15. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Glad I wasn't paying for the ammo. At the time it was upwards of $2 a round.
    .50 Browning was about $3 for comparison.

I have to say, the .460 mag would probably make a good cartridge for a lever action rifle, maybe as a modern replacement for the .45-70.

chelloveck likes this.
  16. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

After reading an article about a guy taking a charging bear with a .454, and some continued research, I bought a Rossi lever gun in .454.
    It is a fun gun to shoot, and the fact I can shoot .45 long colt it's a bit more reasonable .
    Being able to reload makes it more affordable.
    Thing is, I can make shells to accommodate any thing I need to do with the gun, So I sees it as a good investment.
    I almost bought the circuit judge because I liked the cylinder idea on a rifle and they worked out the flash issues but according to gun shops the gun is not very accurate, and that is a deal breaker .

Having a significant fire arm is hand in hand with having skill with it.
    If practice is not convenient, power is of little value.

chelloveck and kellory like this.
  17. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

If I could get it in a double or a drilling, sure...but that hogleg is more like a steer thigh.

chelloveck likes this.
  18. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I know you did NOT just call the US Dollar real money!

19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The reality of "money" is relative. Also the value of it is in perception, where reality doesn't matter.

1. 3M-TA3
  2. Matei
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Yard Dart
  5. hot diggity
  6. Oddcaliber
  7. Dont
  8. oil pan 4
  9. Oddcaliber
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Oddcaliber
  12. Marvin L. Steinhagen