disapointed in my ar

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by sasquatch91, May 4, 2012.

1. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

40 is better than 9 because its bigger so 45...

2. Expatman

Expatman Monkey

To address the OP, if you buy the cheapest you can find of any product I would not expect to be impressed. An AR or an AK is fine for what you want but don't scimp on the money and expect great things.

We live, we learn.

oldawg likes this.
  3. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

The single most important thing is SKILL with whatever weapon you have. Facing an opponent highly skilled with an 1800's sharps is sure death if you failed to develop your own skills with either AK or AR or even a ma deuce if you can't maintain,load, and fire it.jmo

wrc223 and Gafarmboy like this.
  4. Expatman

Expatman Monkey

Not sure why you quoted my post with your post but on principal I would agree with you. I don't think that is relevant though as for where I was going with what I stated.

5. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

=X
    50bmg.

6. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

What I don't understand is, why did you buy it to begin with? The above issues that you stated above should have been apparent when you initially handled this for the first time.

Granted alot of us buy the no frills model of almost anything so we can add on as funds allow down the road, I myself own two DPMS LR308 rifles, they both are more rifle than I will probably be able to exploit.

7. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

It's called baiting RC. Yet another one of the 3,174,843 ways to open the AR vs AK or 9 vs 45 argument.

Personally I enjoy these threads because to me it was like the Ford vs Chevy guys when I was working in a machine shop milling heads 25 years ago.

8. NCPatrolAR

NCPatrolAR Monkey

One of the best ways to view the entire AR/AK debate is that the AK is more accurate than its given credit for and the AR is more reliable than its given credit for.

Each gun has its positives and negatives. People should simply pick one and train to run it as best as possible

oldawg likes this.
  9. fmj50

fmj50 Monkey

Ars

I wanted one for 20+ years, bought what was supposed to be a RRA, playing around with it, feeling the hammer spring pressure, i let it go about 1/4" and the impact of the hammer hitting the milled bulkhead inside, broke the bolt hold open catch on the outside......I can't deal with a gun that breaks that easy, I'll stick to Mini 14/30 for that carbine need.
    I was also concerned when I read the Army's M16 manual, how they don't want anyone going past a few simple cleaning steps.
    Too many small springs, detents, etc.
    Over engineered IMO.,

10. NCPatrolAR

NCPatrolAR Monkey

While it isn't recommended that you let the hammer strike the wall of the receiver under spring pressure; doing so and the bolt release breaking under that small amount of force is an anomaly. Most likely the release was a MIM part with a casting flaw which lead to the failure. I've dropped the hammer on multiple ARs, M4s, M16s from a fully compressed position and have yet to see such a part failure occur.

The Mini isn't exactly known to be the most reliable carbine out there. They are pretty much limited to factory magazines and the sights on the earlier guns were extremely fragile. Also, the manual safety is located in a less than desirable location.

There is no need for the AR to be broken down any further than the 10 level manual states for cleaning. In the event you need to pull the fire control group out to fix an issue, it's easy as pushing two pins out.

Redneck Rebel likes this.
  11. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Creighton Bluejay

sorry to hear that but I have a $737 after tax and transfer fees Smith and Wesson M&P sport. I was shooting three inch groupings at 100 yards with iron sights. I was on a bench rest doing this but I was using crappy WMP .223 Soft Tip steel cased crap. Yes you get what you pay for when it comes to guns. Would I be better off if I bought a higher end gun in creedmore with expensive ammo...sure. But for me I am sure that you would be able to use your DPMS if you got a decent handle rear sight and went from there. Its not the gun its the shooter that matters in the end.

12. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Life is too short to shoot crappy guns.
    Buy quality, pay once and be done.

Guit_fishN and Brokor like this.
  13. NCPatrolAR

NCPatrolAR Monkey

The phrase "this is just as good as Colt, BCM, etc" simply isn't true in most cases.

14. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

I have and have had a good number of high end AR-15s...and I will put my favorite (a $900 CMMG) up against any of them. I have a Colt that lives in my safe...nice gun, but the CMMG is more accurate and reliable in my experience.

YMMV of course...

15. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

There are no absolutes I know of a man shot in the head with a 762x39 side to side and he lived.

16. NCPatrolAR

NCPatrolAR Monkey

CMMG isn't bad in my experience either

17. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

Ok.. you have EXCEPTIONALLY low chances of surviving. Somewhere in the 1 in 10 million range which pretty much guarantees you pain or death either way.

Cephus likes this.
  18. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

DAMMIT! [beat] Your avatar is SNEAKY!!!

I am using a 30" flat screen TV/Monitor, and I could swear that bug was on the screen! I poked my finger at it and was astonished to realize it was immortal. GRRRR.

Quigley_Sharps and UGRev like this.
  19. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

One of mine is a DPMS Sweet 16 (16" heavy barrel which was cryno'd) using good ammunition with a 3x9 it is easily sub moa.

20. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

I have played with so many configurations and manufacturers that I feel there is an argument to be made in favor of any of them. I used to have two Colts. One was a standard A-2 with hooded aperture sight (used it for highpower) and a carbine. I still have the carbine in my preps, the A-2 I gave to my Dad for a retirement gift.
    Since then, I have built many different AR's using parts from multiple manufacturers. I have taken cheap AR's and rebuilt them into 200 meter tackdrivers. I am very comfortable with the platform and enjoy tinkering with it.
    Some guns are cheap, they are made cheap and are ment to tickle the fancy of someone who wants to go dirt squirtin and posing with their AR in stupid pictures they post on social media. Setting up tv's and old washing machines and emptying mags into them at 50 yards is what they do with them. A serious shooter or an experienced shooter would not be happy with this rifle.
    If you were to work the rifle a bit, you could possibly turn it into something special. Or spend the extra bucks and get something that will perform.

ssonb likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7