Disposable Lighters

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Hanzo, Jul 18, 2017.

1. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

You could, feasibly, change the flint, on a disposable lighter....but they're typically spring loaded, so you'd better be quick, to make sure it doesn't launch the spring across the room, when you take the striker wheel off of it! :eek::rolleyes:

I have, however, "harvested" plenty of flints from disposable lighters, that people were throwing away, for my Zippo. Not sure that I've ever seen a Bic (or other disposable) that ran out of flint, before it ran out of butane? (y)

GrayGhost, Hanzo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

You could use the flints for starting fires,reloading rim fire cartridges among other things.

Hanzo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

[​IMG]
    Ever try a Shepherds lighter... no fuel needed... uses cotton char rope as a slow match... wind proof and will start a fire, candle, cigarette etc... available on amazon starting at around $4.00 or 3 for $15 and up...

Ganado, Hanzo, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I don't smoke , but if I did it would make sense to pre load all your smokes put a tiny piece of cotton in the end of the cigarette and merely use a striker to lite it . observers would go nuts and try to mimic the same thing .

chelloveck, Hanzo and oldman11 like this.
  8. jaxjaxtyn

jaxjaxtyn Neophyte Monkey

That's right, I now prefer this reusable lighter to a disposable lighter. If you have used it, you will be amazed that it is so convenient, does not require fuel, and can be used for more than one month per charge. A lighter essential for environmentalists.

9. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I still carry a mini Bic, but my preferred lighter is a Beattie Jet Lighter. They're Zippo size, run on white gas, with conventional flint ignition. Last one was made in 1961, and even the worst examples I've found were easily restored.

They could maintain a static fuel charge longer than a Zippo because of the way the wick is sealed, but in use they consume more.
    IMG_20200505_103929.

GrayGhost and Brokor like this.
  10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

DSC00165.JPG
    The best lighters ever. I have a few Clipper lighters.

GrayGhost likes this.
  11. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

+1 on the Clipper lighter

GrayGhost likes this.
  1. hot diggity
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. DKR
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. HK_User
  7. OldDude49