Disposable VPN Connections

Discussion in 'Technical' started by 3M-TA3, Apr 10, 2017.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Algo VPN allows you to create your own VPN tunnels, and as a side bonus you can create/destroy the tunnels at will to make it harder for others to track your usage.

How I made my own VPN server in 15 minutes

"...Running your own VPN server doesn’t mean that you’ll be more secure on the internet, either. Once again, you’re moving the risk down the tunnel to the cloud hosting provider.

If you use Algo VPN on a Microsoft Azure instance, the NSA could still ask Microsoft more information about you if they think you’re an evil person. Microsoft has your billing information.

But there’s something refreshing about Algo VPN — it lets you set up disposable VPNs. You can boot up a new VPN server and connect to this VPN in just a few minutes. Once you’re done, you can just delete your instance and pretend that this VPN server never existed.

It’s much cheaper than subscribing to a VPN service, as you can expect to pay around $0.006 per hour of usage, or even less with free credit. And you’ll get much better performance as you won’t share your VPN server with other VPN users. I got amazing networking performances from my AWS VPN server for example:

[​IMG]

While Algo VPN makes it easier to set up a VPN server on DigitalOcean, AWS, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud, I also tried using it with Scaleway to see if you could use it on any hosting provider. And it worked perfectly fine on the smallest Ubuntu cloud server.

If you have a bit of technical knowledge, I don’t see any reason why you should sign up to a commercial VPN service after playing with Algo VPN. I trust myself for not handing over my data to authorities (duh). I don’t necessarily trust the Amazons and Googles of the world to fight for my privacy, but I know they won’t sell my hosting data to third-party advertisers and scammers. I’m not so confident about my personal data on their consumer services, but that’s a topic for another article."​

Ganado, Mindgrinder and Sgt Nambu like this.
  2. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Very Nice will be looking at this

Many Thanks

3. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I use VPN to log into the shop remotely and privately. I use sim0le remote access for data that doesn't require security. VPN can be slow but secure

4. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I too run VPN connections a lot, but never have I done so through a server. I use a Routerboard RB750 router which has the VPN capability on-board and IPads which also have it on-board. This allows a more secure tunnel without third party involvement.

BTPost likes this.
  5. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

they make a small add on piece of hardware that is supposed to give you a VPN... ya put it between your router and your computer IIRC?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7