Do not buy gold or silver, buy this instead

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by oil pan 4, Jul 13, 2016.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well less than 2 years later those tires are over $600 per set on sale, with a manufacturer rebate at Sam's club. Should have bought like 6 or 8 of them at pandemic panic pricing.
    Normal price is over $700 per set.
    I don't have 4 complete worn out tires yet. I got one pretty good one, a pretty worn one on wear bars and the other 2 some where in between. They are wearing nice and evenly individually.

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

We may be in an AR15 renaissance of cheap guns. Everyone and their brother is setup to do AR15 parts.
    Now with the adoption of the XM5 we may see the demand and prices for the AR15 drop off for a bit. I'm expecting a full on adam Sandlers "the water boy" style run for the XM5. ReeeEEEEE....
    I was just able to get two new, stripped AR15 A3 upper receivers shipped to my door for $70. I thought $50 was cheap for an A3 upper, then I started seeing sport uppers with no dust cover or forward assist for $35. But I'm in new Mexico, a dust cover, it helps.
    So if you look around you can catch A3 uppers on sale for $30 to $35 each. How cheap will sport uppers get, idk maybe $20 to $25, but I haven't seen any that cheap personally.

Kind of like the $100 AK and sks rifles back in the 1990s. Even if adjusted for inflation that's less than $300 today. Today you can't even touch a parts kit for $300. Yeah $300 is a down payment on a parts kit.

Last edited: May 19, 2022
    Tully Mars likes this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Hunting bullets. Maybe hunting ammo.
    I see plenty of hunting bullets in stock and some on sale. Still not seeing much hunting ammo and if I do its pricey.
    My standing order from midway is anytime I buy something I also pickup 100 to 200 Hornady ftx 160gr for 30-30. Usually these are instock. I use those to load my incredibly accurate 30-30 rounds that shoot about 1.5moa.
    And I try to pick up one of my 3 favorite 6.5mm bullets either 122gr controlled chaos, 130 or 140gr Sierra tippped gameking or nozler 140gr hunting ballistic tip. One of those 3 is usually in stock.
    At the height of the pandemic hunting bullets were going for $1 each or more. Loaded ammo was going for between $3 and $4 a shot.

Also AR15 mags are slumping in price. I can get magpuls "10 round 50 beowuf mag" which is totally not just a standard 30 round 223/5.56 mag for about $17.

4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Gun related shit is back.
    Walmart is loaded with 22LR ammo. I use data from Get your ass to the range to buy ammo my 22s like.
    Trying to include something I don't need with gun orders like a 50 state legal 50beowulf mag that totally isn't a standard 30 round 223/5.56 mag. Or a box of hunting bullets, some AR part I have been wanting to try.

Last month's order was valtor A5 or emod stock. Definitely recommend if you are tall and the standard extended M4 carbine stock length of pull just doesn't work for you. At M4 length of pull is like 2 or 3 inches too short for me fully extended.
    A5 uses a 4 weight buffer and an "A2 rifle spring" good for taming those over gassed carbines, especially with silencer.

Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Why the platinum price spiked about every 10 years.

And why it probably won't spike again, at least for that reason.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

coin. Sorry , I went off the rails again , Im the mule for many Ladies , here is one I was asked to pick up and deliver !

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Who buys silver for around $14 an ounce over spot?
    Or is that all cash, with a middle man price?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

CDN dollars, and better than Fiat , just wait till end of this year

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Oh I forgot about the strange money, that makes sense.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yah hunting ammo is back.
    I picked up winchester 30-30 150gr SP for about $28 a box out the door at wally world. I'll stack a few hundred of these as they become available. This stuff was going for $3 a shot at the height of the summer of mostly fiery riots.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

I checked APMEX, a day or two after Queen Liz passed. About half of their silver coins with her face were already sold out. The other half they still had were $5/oz over their normal price. I guess people want them for their collector's value? Or just don't want coins with King Chuck's visage on it! :rolleyes:;)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Never let a tragedy go to waste works in the free market as well.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Sand blasting media is now fifty gd dollars a bag for the cheap stuff.
    I should have invested in sand blasting media. When I got my first sand blasting gun about 2006 it was $7 on sale and $8, $9 to $10 a bag depending on what you got and where you go it.
    If I would have known I would have bought pallets of that shit.
    I'm going to buy a sand blasting cabinet to protect my investment.

mysterymet likes this.
  14. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Sakrete Black Diamond Abrasive Product - 60050034 | Blain's Farm & Fleet

15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

That's what it should cost. Tractor supply and harbor freight, the only 2 places that have it locally have it for $50 a bag.

16. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

No catalytic converters on electric cars and trucks, also used almost exclusively in industry, so not very useful in TEOTWAWKI! I would rather have silver and some gold, because they are traditional stores of wealth, have been used as money for thousands of years, and you don't have to convince some sap that they are valuable.

17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I could synthesize extremely high purity chlorates with platinum electrodes, which could be used as is or turned into perchlorates.
    Iridium could be canister forged into steel to make super alloys as the only way to get iridium is in powder form.
    Silver can be used for medicine, food preservation, building shit, repairing stuff and explosives manufacturing.
    Gold is probably the least useful.
    An early 1800s style lab with a little electricity, say from a solar panel you can make a lot of stuff.

1. VisuTrac
  2. ED GEiN
  3. Ganado
  4. oil pan 4
  5. Motomom34
  6. oil pan 4
  7. T. Riley
  8. Bandit99
  9. oil pan 4
  10. thegoldlock.com
  11. Game Ends
  12. CATO