Do not buy gold or silver, buy this instead

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by oil pan 4, Jul 13, 2016.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Silver is dropping down pretty good now.
    It's at 16.50 now I want to buy real bad but I think I'm going to hold off and see if it can break into the 15s.
    That means I could go to the local PM dealer and knowing them buy for about 17 an ounce or go on APMEX and get it a little cheaper, maybe 50 cents an ounce less.
    When silver gets close to 16 an ounce look for spot fees to be waved by some retailers who need to liquidate because the are losing money or about to start losing money.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Rhodium hit $900 an ounce today.
    All the truly rare PM such as palladium, is at like a 16 year high (that means don't buy it), platinum is going up some, iridium and ruthenium have been going up too.

3. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

I see where they are having a look at coal mine spoils piles to see if there aren't some recoverable rare earths to offset the Chinese monopoly. That would include some of these PMs other than gold or silver.

Zimmy likes this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Thorium, mercury and uranium can be mined from fly ash.
    At this time it's not profitable to mine mercury or uranium from fly ash.
    But fly as could supply the U.S. with something like 500 to 1,000 years worth of thorium for next generation reactors.

Big Ron and Zimmy like this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have bought silver but not as an investment , but for making colloidal silver generators for family and friends.
    I don't see how exotic metals are going to have a future if the economy sinks.
    Seems to me that unless the metal has some common useful application, the only people interested in exotic metals, are those that don't need it, or any thing else.
    However lead, copper, zinc, tin brass, bronze, steel, aluminum, and the like, have more of a purpose, and broader interest, to the common man , and far easier to identify . IMO

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The extremely exotic metals are a hedge if everything doesn't go to shit. If the economy is good, the price of gold and silver will dip and industry will be willing to pay anything for exotic metals, as seen when rhodium was at 13,000 and platinum was over $2,000 an ounce. Money was no object to them when it came to getting this stuff.
    The rhodium is a little risky, but with out risk there is no reward. Always only focusing on planning for the world to go to hell in a hand bag to me is poor planning.
    I'm prepared to hold on to it for between 3 to 5 years and possibly lose money if I sold with in that first year, (because of spot fees) the losing money phase so far only lasted 4 to 5 months. It could easily go up to $5,000 dollars an ounce in that time, that is a very normal price in the 3rd quartile range. It could go near 10,000 an ounce again but I don't expect to get that lucky. When rhodium is high, gold is usually fairly low, so its likely going straight into gold when I do cash it in.
    I don't know of any other way to legally make tens of thousands of dollars while sitting on my ass with essentially zero risk of losing any money.
    What if rhodium drops back down to 500 or 600 an ounce, then buy 1 or 2 more 5toz bars and look at buying more palladium. Because if rhodium and/or palladium are cheap then the economy is likely in the shitter and gold is going crazy. You can just buy $1,900 an ounce gold like everyone else and be guaranteed to loose money when things go back to normal.
    I do not plan on buying any palladium again unless it goes down to less than $400 an ounce delivered.
    I have not and never will own any iridium or ruthenium. These 2 historically have been all over the place, when they go low they stay low for years, then when they go high they stay high for years. They would almost have to be giving it away for me to take it.
    Ruthenium is kind of like a cheap substitute for rhodium in electronics, for its price to go high rhodium needs to not be high but be going crazy.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Also another thing to consider.
    My wife didn't put any money in her work retirement plan, she got beat up on federal taxes last year.
    Because we both claim the standard deductable the savers credit was one of the things that allowed me to pay almost no federal tax for last year.
    So if you don't put money in your 401k the government just confiscates it. Then good luck ever seeing it again.

8. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

A slight distortion, it is taxed when earned, not later as in "deferred." But yep, now or later, you won't see it in your pocket.

9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Roth takes taxes out of contributions.
    401k retirement is taken out of your paycheck before taxes are calculated, the taxes on the that money are deferred till retirement. Then as long as you don't withdraw lavish amounts of money from the account most if not all taxes will be refunded when you file taxes.
    So if you withdraw early you get to pay federal and state taxes and whatever penalty by the provider has too.
    If things start going down I can empty my account and have money in the bank in about 7 working days.
    Even if I cash out and pay taxes and penalties my actual contributions are only around 40% what's in there. Either way I come out ahead.
    Only planning for the world ending is bad planning.

Plus if all you ever do is stuff your mattress with cash for 40 years, then you get to explain why you have several hundred thousand dollars in cash. And saying "I saved it for 40 or 50 years" don't work. During that time the money loses 1% to 3% of its value per year due to inflation.
    Then you get to launder your hard earned money that has been losing value and that will cost around 20%, maybe 10% if you have someonein the business and will give you a friends/family discount.
    Put it all in a savings account?
    Might as well have it in a retirement account, most banks only pay like 1% interest on saving accounts. Then one week day if you wake up and decide you want to cash out you are not going to be able to go get the money all at once, been there done that. Chances are they won't give you more than $20,000 with out at least 3 business days notice unless someone just happened to deposit a crap load of cash earlier that same day.
    I say if you don't have it in hand you might as well be letting it grow, and just having obscene amounts of cash on hand laying around is also not advised.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

IF the economy goes cashless the toilet handle is an automatic flush, letting the government do as they please . Grease all over again.
    Cashless means no private transaction, and cash is dead literally. barter is all that's left , and that may become illegal as well.
    A town on the east coast went cashless in an attempt to curb yard sales and theft .
    I haven to heard how it finally went but ,seems to me would end in disaster .

IMO ,It seems prudent to me to stock pile what is popular in the area you live.
    For instance , if you live in an area that uses a lot of fire wood but trees are scarce, growing trees for fire wood gives one a valued asset for barter ,and the trees can grow improving your assets all the time.
    I you live in a area that transportation is the more critical value , having fuel and consumables can be one's leverage .
    If' you've stored loads of fuel oil, but no one around you has a use for it, it's a wasted investment except for your own consumption.
    Gold, or any other precious metal, post SHTF, is only valued by those that need nothing else. on top of that with out proper tools how do you prove what is what?
    One other thing , The government tried out lawing private ownership of gold for a while , what happens of they do it again ?
    While it could be used to exchange for what ever currency is used next, the criminals in government are not going to miss the opportunity to get what they can out of you .

11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yeah but it it just doesn't make sense at least to me for me to stock pile tens of thousands of dollars worth of stuff.

If the government out laws ownership of gold and silver bullion then the value of such an item will go crazy.
    If the prepping, off grid, ranch owner or farmer and militia types wanted it before they will really want it when they aren't allowed to have it any more.
    Notice how pre-1933 stuff is so valuable and there isn't really a shortage of it even now that its almost 100 years later?
    Not everyone rolled over and handed everything over.

I make a pretty average amount of money and my wife exposes people to high energy radiation for a living, she makes a little more than me.
    But we don't have hardly any expenses compared to normal people in our demographic.
    The house and car have been paid off since 2011 or 2012 and we just keep on working. In this situation most people save up a little money so they can really get into something they can't afford or just not work as much and do just enough to get by.
    The biggest difference is we are not over time zombies any more.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Platinum is approaching a 10 year low.

The thing with platinum historically it runs about 100% to 200% of the the price of gold. (About the same to double)
    So gold needs to go way down or platinum needs to come back up.
    I don't think gold is going to go down a lot, so platinum is what I am putting my money on to return to its regularly scheduled programming.

I will be lucky to get if for less than $900 and ounce delivered.
    Basically if you buy something at a 10 year low you aren't going to lose money.
    Hopefully the price will slowly decline, level off and start to climb. Or take off, kind of like gold does.
    Probably looking at up to a 2 to 3 year hold time due to the way platinum will some times shoot up in price, but not as often or intensely as gold.
    Rhodium likes to slowly climb higher and higher, so that is going to be at least a 2 to 3 year hold minimum, looking at up to a 5 to 7 year max.

I don't actually want platinum, I want gold but I don't want to spend a ton of money getting it.
    I could buy gold now, but I would rather have more gold 2 to 3 years from now. Rather than buy now and have the price go down. The short term gold hopefully will continue to decline a little.
    Wait for a situation where $900 or less ounces of platinum bought soon can get me 1.5 to 2 ounces of gold later on in a few years.
    I think gold has pretty well marked it's territory and is going to stay above $1,100 an ounce for years to come especially as the government continues to piss away the value of the dollar.

13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Looks like liberty and mcm are starting to panic sell gold with spot fees as low as $10 to $15 per bar over spot.
    I'm feeling bearish, grrrr.

14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Pinehurst coin out of NC is selling 1 ounce gold pamps for like $12 over spot, while supplies last. I have bought from them before.
    Well I tried to post earlier but I think the forum was down. I believe now is a good time to buy back into gold, silver and platinum.
    I know I did, gold, silver and a little platinum. To the tune of about what a new sedan costs.
    I hope I didn't fu(k up.

15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Rhodium has closed above $1,000 an ounce. I figured it would take up to a year.
    Platinum is well on its way to $1,000 an ounce, but I paid about $950 total for it.
    I can't wait for it to peak so I can swap it out for some gold, silver or cash if those are high.

16. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Bid for RH is $1150, Ask is $1200...

17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

[AC/DC back in black]

18. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

When this thread was originally posted Bitcoin was 663.00 ... now it's 4667.00.

Ganado likes this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The most fiat of fiat currencies to ever fiat.

Ganado likes this.
  20. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

It's not fiat. No government behind it. No laws behind it either .. well maybe the laws of math but that's about it.
    Up about 600 percent.
    Don't know of much else that has gone up as much. Except maybe artwork .. and I'm not playing that game as I can't hardly
    tell a wall from a Warhol.

Yard Dart likes this.
  1. VisuTrac
  2. ED GEiN
  3. Ganado
  4. oil pan 4
  5. Motomom34
  6. oil pan 4
  7. T. Riley
  8. Bandit99
  9. oil pan 4
  10. thegoldlock.com