Do not buy gold or silver, buy this instead

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by oil pan 4, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

What is the end use of Platinum other than jewelry?

2. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Platinum is used in catalytic converter on vehicles

Cruisin Sloth, VisuTrac and Ganado like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Oil refinery catalyst, crucibles for melting silicon for manufacture of silicon wafers such as computer chip and solar cells, wear resiatant anti corrosive coatings, medical devices, like with other platinum group metals it may be used as an alloy in aircraft compressor blades.

Like rhodium, ruthenium, palladium, iridium a lot of high technology depends on it.
    Platinum is becoming the "cheap substitute" for rhodium and palladium in some catalysts and it was widely used as an automotive exhaust catalyst until palladium became so cheap back around 2007.

Platinum being down near 900 an ounce is about the closest thing to a price crash platinum will see.
    I believe the price was so high for so many years because of the demand for platinum crucibles and supposedly the world pretty much hit market saturation with these crucibles, because they don't really wear out, back around 2014 or 2015.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Ganado likes this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

This ride on the rhodium roller-coaster has cone to an end for me. I finally sold it.
    Doubled my money in under 3 years.
    I'm building up my cash reserves to pursue other interests.
    When rhodium returns to the $600 to 900 mark I would buy it again, some day, probably won' happen for several years.

5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Alright I lied. I took the money minus a single 1 ounce bar of rhodium.
    Just incase rhodium goes crazy, that way I won't cry too much. Then if it goes back down from here, meh, nothing to pout over.

Ganado likes this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well liberty coin screwed me.
    I told them I wanted 2 ounces of platinum and the difference back as cash.
    Some how 2 sounds like 9 and so I have 7 more ounces of platinum I wasn't expecting and only about $500 back.

I say only buy and sell rhodium through them. That's it and that's only because they appear to be the only rhodium dealer in the US.

Platinum is at about an 8 year low, I'm not convinced it's as low as its going to go.
    That' why I only wanted 2 ounces and the rest converted to deposit box cash.

My plan was to take the 2 ounces, hold the rest as cash, probably buy a little more silver, more platinum if the price goes lower or gold if we hit a multi year low.

Now I'm stuck with a bunch of platinum that I'm expecting to go down before it comes back up.
    I'm expecting 18 to 24 months before platinum bought today makes up the bid ask difference. That's why I only wanted 2 ounces.
    Why would I go all in on something I'm expecting to lose value or not make any money for around 2 years?

I mean I might be wrong. I have only been wrong once so far and that was me not buying in on palladium at $500. Platinum could turn around with in the next few months. But I think the odds of that happening are a 1 in 3 chance.

Like I have said you can't bet on where PM might go, you can only bet on where it is today.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    duane, Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Platinum is still the good buy. Near a 9 year low. No need to buy today, I have a feeling it will stay low for a while and may drop lower.
    I think the upper limit is realistically $1,500 an ounce, maybe up near $2,000 if it goes crazy.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Silver is back down 16 an ounce I'm probably going to go buy some silver tomorrow.

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@oil pan 4 thanks for the update, I still don't understand why silver is so low. IT has more uses than gold in today's economy. Granted its more abundant but the economics of it don't make sense to me

10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Right now it's cheaper because of the commodity sell off because people are afraid of the trade war with china.

Ganado likes this.
  11. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Buy TIME , You can't mine it that cheap .
    I buy bars

Ganado likes this.
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Platinum just hit a 14 to 16 year low.
    If those idiots at liberty gold and silver hadn't completely boned my order I would be buying some right now at about $70 an ounce lower lower price.

Silver is still a really good buy too. Stuck at $16 an ounce.

And I'm almost tempted to buy a little gold.

13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Gold, silver and platinum fell even more today.

I still haven't gotten to the local gold and silver coin shop.
    My laziness has paid off.
    I wanted to go today but slept all day.

15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Finally got to the coin shop and got some silver.
    I was starting to worry the days of buying a 1oz of silver for less than 17.50 an ounce was long gone.
    I only bought 20 ounces, if the price goes down or stays low I will buy 5 to 10 ounces on each pay check.
    If silver or gold does a swan dive off a clif to a multi year low I break out the cash reserves.

16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Looking at palladium it's been steadily declining for about the last 8 months.
    No where near a buy price but if it keeps going down it could be a good buy at $500 to $600 an ounce next year.

There has been in industry shift away from palladium since the price is so high now, peaking at $1,100 an ounce.

Good buys now are gold, silver and platinum. I would not go all in on gold, it could go lower this fall and winter.

Platinum is near a 14 year price low.
    If it goes lower I'm going to add to the pound I already have.

17. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Gold has been hammered to look bad . BUY TIME !!

18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Platinum is probably the best buy right now.
    In Sandia national laboratory researchers have found an alloy of 90% platinum and 10% is the most wear resistant metal know to man when sliding against its self.
    Main application is electronics contact points that like to wear out from repetitive use.

19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The long term silver price squiggly line has been converging for a long time.
    Usually that means it going to make big moves in the near future and it probably isn't going to go down.

20. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

The prices on PM's are rising. If someone was to start investing in metals, what metals should they buy? Gold and silver are the standard but the PM brokers also sell platinum and palladium etc. Being diversified is crucial. The prices are different from when this thread started. I am noticing that many dealers only sell gold and silver.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. VisuTrac
  2. ED GEiN
  3. Ganado
  4. oil pan 4
  5. Motomom34
  6. oil pan 4
  7. T. Riley
  8. Bandit99
  9. oil pan 4
  10. thegoldlock.com
  11. Game Ends