Do not buy gold or silver, buy this instead

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by oil pan 4, Jul 13, 2016.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Silver is still pretty cheap.
    I just bough some last week.
    Most of the silver I own I got for this price or less and I only started buying with in about the last 10 years.

And platinum is still not far off a 9ish year low. I have a lot of money tied up in Platinum.
    I would like it to hit around $1,500 an ounce or equal 1 ounce of gold before I sell it.

Palladium is at or near an all time high.

Rhodiumis near it's normal highish price.
    Ruthenium is the same, near it's normal- price.

Iridium is pretty high.

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

What was bread today ? and in 1970 when I started ?
    AG was 1.80 (I think) AU was out of my pay then.
    IT's only going up !! .
    If you keep asking ! THIS IS NOT FOR YOU !
    S

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Bread was a quarter ($0.25) in the 70's and is now about $3 a loaf. I heard a pod cast saying most everything has gone up almost 20% but wages- those have increased about 5% in relation over the last 40 years. I have been checking metal prices for the last 2 weeks daily. And have watched the increase. I will be meeting with my accountant later this month and will see what the gains have been on my IRA. Then he and I will be having a diversify discussion.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. Cruisin Sloth

You might not seen gains like I will , BUT when the USD Greenback moves , China ,Russia , and the Persian systems will be banked / BACK from AU/AG .. Thats when I'll find out.

Sloth

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Don't buy gold.
    I'm about to sell my last little bit.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

What? Could you explain why you have chose to not have gold. I thought gold was a more solid investment then the market

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Gold makes almost no money.
    I'm going to buy more when the price goes back down.
    Depends on if you want protection for your money or do you want to make money. You can't have both.

Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

That is the answer !! 200K in fiat is dumb in my thinking !!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

But what if it doesn't go back down? What if this is it and gold prices keep climbing? A dollar doesn't buy much and is having less value everyday in my opinion. So do you sit on your dollars or make them work for you? I just read that Payless shoes is closing all their stores. Means people losing jobs, more strain on the system. Companies closing is becoming the norm, which is a bad sign so investing in something of value makes sense.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

The question of up or down doesn't mean much, it's a question of risk evaluation. As an investment, PMs fall more or less in the same category as fine art, the price is what the market will bear. Really, an investment is supposed to be something that will return more value than the price paid, so with PMs, putting your money in the mattress is about equivalent. If the market crashes you'll still have the cash; what you can buy with it is problematic.

11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

That's the thing. It's a what if.
    But if gold is going to stagnate at 1,200 to 1,300 an ounce my money is better put in something else.

All PM is not mattress money. Back in 2007 palladium just about quadrupled my money in 5 years. Rhodium did almost 5x in about 3 years.
    Right now I would be better sitting on cash waiting for the next PM crash.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

You read the tea leaves correctly regarding PMs. Some stocks have performed quite well also, and some have crashed. My point remains, the risk for investments must be evaluated, coldly, and without emotion.

@Motomom34 questions the reasons for holding off buying Au. Well, to answer that question with another (not necessarily good practice) what if the market doesn't go the way you think it will? What if the perceived value of rhodium took a lemming? The question remains, does it make sense to tie up bux in hardware, wall hanging art or a mattress? These are the kinds of questions that the investor has to answer.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Unlike a stock we know the value of ultra rare metals isn't going to drop to $0.
    For example Rhodium is the 2nd rarest element on earth.

duane, Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

NO physical asset will drop to zero barring something unimaginable. However, easily enough, the value could drop below the cost of inventory keeping.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Common sense is the first.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The only pm that has not exceeded it's all time high in 20 years or less is silver.
    When it does I will be rich AF.

17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Do any of the Monkey financial guru's have an opinion on the US Mint being out of Silver Eagles?

The US Mint Is Out of Silver Eagles – Again!

We were surprised when the following public announcement was issued by the US Mint on February 21:

This is to inform you that we have temporarily sold out of our inventories of 2019-dated American Eagle Silver Bullion Coins. In addition, all remaining 2018-dated inventories have been sold too. The West Point Mint is busy producing additional 2019-dated American Eagle Silver Bullion Coins. We hope to be able to re-launch the 2019-dated coins in a few weeks. - Jack A. Szczerban, Branch Chief, Bullion Directorate, United States Mint

We’ve seen temporary suspensions from the Mint before, but they’re usually in the fourth quarter of the year, as they ramp down production of that year’s coin and begin to prepare minting the next year’s design.

So why the sellout in February? And they have no more 2018 silver Eagles, either? What gives?

What’s curious about this is that the Mint ran out of Eagles just six months ago, too.

Has demand really been that overwhelming that the Mint can’t keep up?

Here’s a view of Silver Eagle coin sales from the Mint over the past 14 months, along with the occasions when it ran out.

[​IMG]

US Mint Sold Out of Silver Eagles – Yet Another Reason to Buy Physical Silver NOW - GoldSilver.com

18. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Strictly one monkey's opinion:
    Someone in dot gov has to approve spending frns to buy the metal for the mint to strike coins. I can't tell if they authorize the amount of money to spend or the number of Troy ounces. (Bet is on frns, because it appears that they run out of bullion earlier than originally expected.)
    The worm in the apple is that dot gov is not supposed to run a money making business, so they cannot just borrow against future sales to buy bullion, so when the cash runs out, the flow of eagles stops. So the speculators hit the metal inventory hard and stock up, hoping to sell it to dot gov at a gain when the next batch of eagles is authorized.

Not my cuppa T.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    Gator 45/70 and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Government incompetence.

3cyl and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Same with healthcare, Does any .Gov agency actually make money besides the environmental group offshore?

1. VisuTrac
  2. ED GEiN
  3. Ganado
  4. oil pan 4
  5. Motomom34
  6. oil pan 4
  7. T. Riley
  8. Bandit99
  9. oil pan 4
  10. thegoldlock.com
  11. Game Ends
  12. CATO