Do not buy gold or silver, buy this instead

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by oil pan 4, Jul 13, 2016.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Some of the sellers on ebay will hold shipment to play the spot price game. Silvertowne is bad about that.
    But they have decent prices.
    I think silvertowne has been cleaned out.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

All I know is when my dealer ( a friend of 20 years) is calling me for product (which I don't have that much of to begin with).
    The wholesalers are out.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Platinum is heading for a 20 year low.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. VisuTrac

Man I hop you got out of Rhodium. it's dropped like a rock from nearly 11k at 2k in a week or so.

Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yeah I got out of my rhodium too soon.
    I would like it to drop back down under $1,000.
    Only buy 1 ounce bars. A 5 ounce bar will easily generate a greater than $10,000 transaction notice that will likely go to to be reviewed by our friends at Flowers By Irene.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The only buy right now is platinum.
    The Platinum to gold ratio is at like a 120 year low.
    What does that mean.
    Either gold is way over valued or platinum is way under valued.
    It's probably like earlier this when the gold to silver ratio was at a impossible, record high. Figured silver was under valued and gold was over valued or close to its ceiling. I was right the silver price nearly doubled since then and gold is up maybe 15%.
    Any other time the gold to silver ratio has taken a dump like this it goes back to normal in 2 or 3 years most of the time.
    So definitely don't buy gold and definitely don't buy silver. Hold on to your money.

The only problem with platinum is its perfectly happy not doing anything for a decade then all of a sudden it awakens and roars to life. With the Platinum to gold ratio shooting up to between 1:4 and 1:6 that means 1 ounce of platinum will trade for 2, 3, 4 maybe as much as 6 ounces of gold. If I can get 2.5 ounces of gold for my platinum that deal is done.

Anyone who says platinum is useless in a post shtf scenario doesn't know anything about chemistry. Platinum is commonly used to synthesize chlorates. Normally a huge solid chunk of platinum worth thousands upon thousands of dollars isn't used to do this. It's over kill. But it will just about last forever. The value of high purity chlorates and perchlorates post shtf is in calculable.
    You don't have to use platinum but your cholrates are so contaminated when you dont what you can do with them is limited.

If you are going to buy something weird definitely investigate it's uses. A few years ago I noticed iridium prices were low. But they weren't just low it hit the floor so hard it went through and was in the basement.
    Less than 2 years later the price had more than tripled and that's kind of where it's been ever since.
    Definitely want at least some iridium sponge, not all rounds bars.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If you haven't buy your higher end or premium tires now.
    When I bought Michelin energy saver A/S tires for my leaf 2 years ago I looked and looked and looked I could only find them for about $150 each to my door. None of the local shops could source them for under $200 each.
    Now they're showing up on the internet for about $100 each shipped to my door.
    Cheap tires are still cheap dog shit. Don't buy cheap tires. Did you know the NTSB reports that shitty tires cause about 8,000 crashes and around 1,000 deaths per year?
    Don't buy shitty tires!

I ran over a peice of metal in the road way and I heard it go PFfffffsss and was on the rim in about 0.1 seconds so I figured the tire was ruined. Drove about 300 ft and pulled off on a side road.
    I put the doughnut of shame on there and the tire had a hole big enough in it that I could stick my pinky in. Definitely not worth sitting on the side of the road to change. I wasn't going to drive around with the doughnut of shame on there so I grabbed the warn out tire I saved from the last set of tires that were on the car had the tire shop put it on the rim and its been rolling around like that since.
    I need a new tire with tread depth. I think I will get 2.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I still have money orders trickling in.
    I rounded them up and will take them to the post office turn them right back into a single money order for about $600 to pay for a 45 osprey.
    So about 20 ounces of silver is coming back as metal box with a hole drilled through it. And 6 or 7 more ounces as a tax stamp.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

au to pt.

That was from earlier this year and it's blown way past 1 unit of Au to 1.6 units of Pt. It was over 2.2 at one point.
    When I buy ultra rare metals at 30 or 40 year anomalies I triple or quadruple my money.
    At a 120 year anomaly I don't know what it's going to do.
    In case it's not obvious, I'm not talking about buying gold. Don't buy gold right now. You should have bought gold 2, 4 and 20 years ago if not earlier. Looking at the price of gold in todays fiat dollars is only maybe 20% of the story.
    I sold all my gold and spent most of that money on silver when the gold to silver ratio was "impossible" and I'm glad I did.
    They like to say "buy gold now, it's at all time highs" which is a lie and stupid, in the 1980s gold went to about $2,800 once adjusted for regular dollar inflation, to put things into perspective.
    If you really want your mind blown do CPI adjusted inflation.
    When adjusted to for fed reserve inflation it hasn't even beat it's last "last all time high" in 2011, or if it did then it wasn't by much.
    Don't believe everything you see on the TV.

Edit: I looked up the record setting price for 2011 it was $1,900. I thought it was higher than that but any who it doesn't matter. Maybe that was closing price for the day.
    In 2011 "$1,900" was worth $2,188.56.
    So if it hit say $1,950 during the trading day it would be worth $2,246 in 2020 doll hairs.
    This year I think gold hit $2,080ish?
    So gold had not hit an "an all time high" it hasn't even best it's last false "all time high".
    The last all time high was in 1980, unless you count the other all time high about 60 years before that.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Platinum is coming down. If I can get it for about $900 delivered I'm buying several ounces.

11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

So if you have to have or need a gas hog vehicle now is the time to buy it or at least start looking. When I bought my 6.6mpg, 3/4 ton 7.4L suburban with 4.11 gears, 3 speed auto the people selling it almost paid me to take it back in 2014 when gas prices had been $3 to $3.80 a gallon for years on end and people were believing obamas "people are just going to have to get used to $3 a gallon gas from now on".
    Used vehicle prices are up 30% from a year ago, don't know if that includes gas hogs. I would expect gas murdering vehicle prices to go down as $3+ a gallon gas drags on and wears people down who drive status symbol gas hogs, you know the people don't actually need them for work or moving their herd of little humans around.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. VisuTrac

Oh it includes gas hogs. Even 200k+ mile gas hogs. I'm not paying 6800 bucks for a 6L 2500 with 229k. I know that transfer case it about done and probably the transmission as well. Oh and they aren't even putting new tires on it. Selling it with the dry rotted tires and destroyed driver seats for that price.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Cash for clunkers surged used car prices for years.
    Sounds like a sellers market.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. VisuTrac

Yes it is. my rusty piece of crap 4wd truck which is basically valued at about 2k with all it's short comings like rust, bad tcase, nearly shot tires and 250k on the clock, in this market is now worth about 5k on trade in at the local stealer but of course they want me to buy one of their over priced and non existent trucks. An identical one to mine is selling for 4k privately just down the street (rust in same panels)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Platinum is looking tp be a good buy again.
    Silver is looking a little better. $24 and falling fast. The buy time for silver will probably be around September. You can get a lot more silver for $20 an ounce with a $2 spot fee than at near $30 an ounce with up to a $10 spot fee.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Since the silver price is down I actually looked into buying some for the first time in a long time.
    And availability still sucks. There ain't shit available in 10 ounce bars.
    I didn't realize there was still a shortage.
    Yeah once inventory is back to normal the price will go way down. Plus we are still kind of near a 7 year high for silver.
    So when the major sellers have half to 3/4 of the selection they normally carry in stock, then I'll think about.
    Otherwise you're just paying for the luxury of having silver right now.
    Silver is absolutely a Veblen good.

In the name of the post, the decent buy right now is still platinum.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Platinum prices are trending down.
    Silver availability is way up, almost to normal levels, expect more price drops. Silver is getting to the point where people are getting tired of it and are starting to sell, secondary market bars are showing up at the big retailers.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. VisuTrac

I have a problem with Platinum, Palladium and Rhodium. I see them as niche metals.
    Picture walking through say a market in a mexican border town. How many offers am i going to get for anything but silver and gold.
    Hell, how about a coin shop in West Virginia? Gold/Silver no problem getting a decent offer. The others? Imma taking a hair cut from spot.
    If you can sell it back to a large PM house and you have enough quantity but you'll have a paper trail.
    At least in my area, non-monetary metals are a hard sell.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

That's the mistake I made with the rhodium. I bought 5 ounce bars.
    Never buy bigger than 1 ounce or smaller than 20gm. Sell them to different places in small quantities. I'm probably going to buy 20gm bars from now on.
    I don't really want platinum, it's a way to eventually get gold since historically the gold to platinum ratio has normally been between 2:1 to 1.5:1 or at least 1:1 some times. Now it's the opposite of that an ounce of gold gets 2 ounces of platinum. So eventually, hopefully if I'm good I can turn every ounce of platinum I paid $800 to $1,000 for into, up to 2 ounces of gold. And if I'm real lucky, not that I expect it. But the sun does shine on a dog's ass occasionally. I may be able to turn 1 ounce of platinum into 4 or 5 ounces of gold.
    Plus you can do electro chemical synthesis with platinum that can't be accomplished with any other metal.
    An old Inca legend says that platinum is gold, that just hasn't ripened yet. I can see that.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Buy food.
    China about to start limiting, then they will probably soon be halting the exportation of nitrogen fertilizers.
    Fertilizer prices up.
    Biggest US grocery store CEO says food up 10% by 2022.

I did invest in fertilizer in 2018, walmart clearanced a shit ton of fertilizers, got dozen or so bags of 40lb bags of ammonium sulfate for $5 each then some random tree fertilizers 20lb bags also for $5. Bought them to increase my firewood yields.
    I figured if I can bulk up my fuel trees for a few dollars per year for many years to come how can that be a bad deal.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    CraftyMofo and VisuTrac like this.
  1. VisuTrac
  2. ED GEiN
  3. Ganado
  4. oil pan 4
  5. Motomom34
  6. oil pan 4
  7. T. Riley
  8. Bandit99
  9. oil pan 4
  10. thegoldlock.com