Do not obey your television- Buying Gold

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by oil pan 4, Aug 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

When trump gets reelected and the stock market soars high and this virus plandemic is canceled gold will be back in the shitter. But it will take up to 3 years for prices to come back down.
    So I this silver I sold may not come back as silver.
    Single ounce silver bars kinda take up a lot of volume.
    I think I'm going to switch to only selling every 4 to 10 years when prices go stupid like I did with silver.
    With gold I'm probably going to buy max sizes of 20gm and get more 10gm and 5gm bars. When I sold all my small 5 and 10gm bars when gold was nearly $1,800 the gold shop was glad to get them because they could actually move them.
    So next time gold goes stupid high again it could be $2,000 or $2,500 an ounce.
    How many ounces can you sell at that price before getting noticed, I say between 0 and 1 ounce.
    But you could sell 5 and 10gm bars all day with out drawing too much attention.

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

My financial adviser strongly advised me not to buy gold and silver when I asked him. I always do the opposite and am so happy to see that my investment is gaining value. Prices may not hold but it makes me happy to view the charts.

TnAndy, Cruisin Sloth and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Were they overall anti PM?
    My guess is they don't sell PM so there's no way to make any commission off you buying PM.
    My motivation is I want like minded people to be better off.
    I'm not going to sell any of my PM to like minded people because if I'm selling you shouldn't be buying.

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

He believes in the market. One of those guys that things every dollar should be invested in Wall Street. He preaches diversity yet puts it all in one place. I believe in true diversity: market, metals and money (paper).

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

From what I understand that is fine when people are just starting out.
    Put it all in stocks if it takes a dump you got like 40 years to recover it.
    And you can't really touch it now, it's locked down to where you can take a loan out against it, paying yoir self back and that's about it.
    Also I don't think most young people have the stability or self control to sit on gold coins when they see something else they want or think they need.

If this guy thinks people should stay in the stock market all the way up until and after they retire you need to dump them.
    Because that's what happened around 2008 a bunch of people retired when they didn't have enough money to retire and their only chance was to retire to leave it in stocks and hope the market never down turned.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I introduced a young man 14 , into buying PM's and how to bargain the price , where to view the going price etc.
    Most dealers I know buy "Monster Boxes " of AU/AG in rounds at a good discount price.
    So for his 3rd buy , with his dad , he didn't do so good, but still better than smokes/drugs / etc. Good farm 4H kid.
    Sloth

Gator 45/70 and AD1 like this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If you got money burning holes in your pocket NFA weapons and PMs will eat it up real fast.

Gator 45/70 and AD1 like this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Im set already , just teaching young men (Im a 4H leader , Tech things)
    The kids 7/8-12 yo,,and then 13-16/17 yo are taught many things, Garage sale's , barter , treating all with respect, and why we open doors for girls/woman !! The PM's were an Extra that day cuz we were skunked at the Garage sales .
    & buy the ways , I have High Pockets !!
    Sloth

Edit Add !
    I have a few girls and young ladies , learning stuff , bolts to wire stuff !!
    Here I hold my words , but demand they respect the same as males.
    S

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Looks like silver prices are consolidating.
    So the price will jump or dive.
    I'm betting on it jumping up at least 1 more time before the election and not really going down much before then.
    After the election it goes back to 15 to 20 an ounce once the stock market gets going again.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Fake shit.

Silver plated copper.
    They had to make it a little bigger than a real silver bar because silver is a little denser than copper.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

From a dealer? Maybe a flea market. If it came from a dealer, that dealer should be out of business.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I don't think a lot of dealers check every single silver bar.
    The subscriber told the youtuber he got it from a dfw coin shop.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Seriously? both of my local dealers check every single bar/coin, right there, with the person wanting to sell it to the shop watching.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

They check every bit of gold.
    But silver, not so much.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Been seeing a surge of "buy silver now ads" on tv ever since the price of silver dumped $2 an ounce last week.
    They aren't trying to move product to help you, the buyer.
    No they over bought and now they are looking at taking a loss depending on how fast the price comes down and how fat they sell. We may see dealer panic selling.

16. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

After the crash how will you exchange it ?

17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

You don't. Or you sell it potentially at a big loss. All the dealers will be over flowing with inventory. Thats when you buy it.
    I don't know or care about trying to sell it when the price is down. I know what works and I'm going to stick with it.
    If I had to guess small time sellers like me would have to sell at or below spot to move any product.

18. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

A 1oz gold coin is not very convenient for buying a single hen's egg after the Boom of Doom.

While a bag of gold is perfect for major purchases, small gold coins are prohibitively expensive.

Dust and home-cast finger ingots are not trustworthy, and the cost of assay makes dealing with them very expensive.

But there is a way to have "small gold" that people will accept: you just need a money chain.

Back in olden times some rich people traveled with chains made of pure gold. Every link was identical. The links were fat, round, and un-soldered.

When it came time to spend some links, only the first one had to be assayed--then the rest just had to be checked to be sure they matched the first.

Different sized chains could provide the local equivalent of anything from $1 to $100 bills.

Money chains could also be made from silver & copper to stand in for small coins.

Testing size was easy. Remove a link, and establish what size rod it would just fit on. That gives the I.D., and a tester for all the other links.

Then make a jewelry bezel out of copper that the link would just fit into. That gives O.D., and a tester for all the other links.

Measure the wire diameter of the link with a caliper or a notched size chart.

Measure the weight with a pan balance.

All that information would tell you exactly how much gold was in the sample link.

Any jeweler, money-lender, or pawn-broker, could easily prove out the value of the links.

With regard to silver, Sterling flatware is hard to beat as a post-apocalypse currency.

Each piece is a convenient size for ordinary purchases.
    Every piece is marked "Sterling."
    No one counterfeits it.
    Every pattern has a provenance--and a weight that can be checked.
    Every piece can always be the last piece Grandma had--so having a stray spoon or fork won't put a huge target on your back.
    It's beautiful and useful, so it can command a price higher than its silver content.

For large purchases, "Grandma" can always have one last complete service that was her "other good silver." A complete service for however many should be more valuable than the same pieces sold off individually.

19. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Wife got a work bonus around 15 years ago.....asked me what to put it in. Tube of 50 1/10 gold eagles, they were 78 bucks each at the time. (Apmex) Today, Apmex price is 277 each. I guess you could chop them in 4 quarter pieces for 69 bucks each ? Same thing they did with Spanish pieces of 8 in colonial days, cut into 8 pieces (bits) for small change.

Cruisin Sloth and VisuTrac like this.
  20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

All of a sudden I'm being flooded with "buy silver now adds" looks like the price is heading back towards it's 1 year low.

1. Ganado
  2. oil pan 4
  3. Motomom34
  4. oil pan 4
  5. Bandit99
  6. oil pan 4
  7. thegoldlock.com
  8. Game Ends
  9. CATO
  10. Brokor
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7