Do You Check Your Coins?

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by Motomom34, Jul 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Do you check your change for valuable coins? We put all of our change in containers then one or twice a year separate it into denominations then proceed to look for valuable coins.
    IMG_4464.JPG

We are not coin collectors but we do value rare coins or those with mistakes. The list in my picture is not the complete list that you should keep. Usually we research what coins prior to going through. Wheat pennies are always collected but did you know some of the new state quarters are valuable?

"In God We Rust"
    [​IMG]

• 1999 Delaware Spitting Horse Error: Die cracking at the Philadelphia mint led to some quarters with extra metal around the horse's mouth. This extra metal looks as if the horse is spitting. Depending on the progression of the die crack and the condition of the coin, these errors can bring in anywhere from $2-20.

• 2004 Wisconsin Leaf Errors: Coins exhibiting these errors came from the Denver Mint. These coins range in value, but currently can fetch $50-100.
    2005 Minnesota Double Die & Extra Tree Errors: There are a lot of errors associated with the Minnesota reverse. Values range from $10-300+.
    • 2005 Kansas "IN GOD WE RUST" and Humpback Bison errors: Values really vary with these errors, but sometimes can reach up to $100.
    • 2006 Colorado Cud Errors: Cud errors (an unintentional bump caused by a dent in the die) on the reverse side of the quarter can be viewed at the three o'clock position along the inner side of the rim. These quarters were released by the Philadelphia mint. Depending on the size of the cud, these quarters can fetch a value of $5-$35.
    • 2007 Wyoming Double Die Reverse: This lesser-known error was minted in Philadelphia and sometimes can be hard to spot with the naked eye. With magnification, varied doubling around the saddle horn can be seen. Values for this error are unknown.
    • 2008 Arizona Extra Cactus Leaves: Die breaks caused extra leaves on the Arizona Reverse. Values vary, but coins are generally sold around $10-20.
    • 2009 District of Columbia Double Die Reverse: Some quarters minted in Denver exhibit doubling on the "ELL" in "ELLINGTON." With this variety, a greater degree of doubling translates into higher demand, but the market for this coin is still too young to solidify any general value.
    • State Quarters on Nickel Planchets: These odd coins can show up in an

State Quarter Errors List

Some would say it is a waste of time to look for a quarter that could be worth $5-20 dollars but it is a fun activity that we do on bad weather days. It is also something people could do with their grand kids.
    So do you check your coins? And what ones do you keeps?

Murfylang, Zimmy, 3M-TA3 and 4 others like this.
  2. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

That is something I miss from living in the US - coins. I used to do similarly, many, many moons ago.

Here in Cambodia, all denominations are paper. No coins exist here. Fortunately, though, they do use the USD locally. And, ATMs dispense USD notes, as well. If any change is due you from a purchase, and below $1.00 USD, it is given to you in KHR (Cambodian Riel) paper.

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I sort out real copper pennies and save those.

We have found the odd silver dime - but by now, it is very rare to find any silver coins. The saying of "Bad money drives out good' is too true. (see Gresham's law - Wikipedia for more on this)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Found a coin the other day in my change, I believe it was a dime; that was stamped on one side and a blank planchet on the other...

Zimmy and Motomom34 like this.
  5. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I only notice real copper pennies and silver coins.

I did somehow spot an excellent two headed magicians quarter, and carried it for a time, but eventually it accidentally ended up in a soda machine.

I'll have to pay more attention to modern mint errors. The last I knew of was a 1955 double strike on a penny.

Dunerunner and Motomom34 like this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Thanks, Didn't know about the defects in the newer coins, I do save my coppers and like someone else stated its hard to find silver coins nowadays!!!

Zimmy and Motomom34 like this.
  7. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I get a few dollars (face value) of silver coins a year. Not much lately but it spikes when the economy gets bad and folks spend it.

8. Dunerunner

And, when they do; the grocer or bank employee usually finds the gem before it re-enters circulation anymore.

9. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I didn't know about some of those coins either , I knew of the Wisconsin , but the others were new info to me.. I dump all my change into a jar, bucket, whatever I'm using at the time . I've got a couple 5 gallon buckets almost full of change , some separated copper penny jugs , and more modern penny jugs. I'm wanting to get one of those magnifiers so I can see the detail on the coins better , easier than squinting thru a jewelers loupe . Old age brings bad eye's . Winter time is coming , sortin' thru change is a good winter time project..

10. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Being hatched in 1976 its been a life long habit for me to check my quarters for Bicentennial ones. As well as for '64 & older quarters.

11. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I have had to explain to several bank tellers the difference between silver coins and SILVER coins. They had no idea!

Dunerunner, Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  12. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I do. Still find an occasional silver dime. Found a very good quality magicians quarter with two heads. I carried it around for months and lost it the same way the last guy probably did... in a soda machine.

13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I received something odd in my gringo change the other day, A Italian nickel

Dunerunner likes this.
  14. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I occasionally find Canadian coins in change received. Most often pennies and dimes. Quarters rarely.

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  15. Dunerunner

I've seen that in the local grocery, a guy obviously down on his luck bought a six pack and paid in change. I immediately noticed the change was a mix of Franklin and Walker half dollar coins with a few Kennedy's. The clerk, a man in his late 50's; swiftly swept up the coins and pocketed them, then replaced the amount in paper from his wallet. I was drooling at the check out as the $7 dollars face value Silver change for that six pack was worth around $50 to $60 dollars.

Ganado, Gator 45/70 and Seawolf1090 like this.
  16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

FWIW, I always look at "silver" regardless of where I found it. My father got a pile of US (and some strange) coins that G-pa saved up for some reason, and did a bit of sorting and saving. I think he lost interest, preferring fishing and wood working when he retired. Anyway, I have that collection and just recently started trying to evaluate them. This is not a trivial task; since there are more than one way to grade coins, and a numismatist, I ain't. If you go on line, you'll find a number of sites that say they know the value of coinage (and other stuff.) Well, they don't uniformly apply standards, or use their own, not to mention that the designators change with time. (Use a pre-war standard at your risk.) I found a copy of the Red Book (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0794845711/?tag=survivalmonke-20) which seems to be an accepted resource.

I won't be returning any more bi-centennial coins to circulation ---

Gator 45/70 and oldawg like this.
  17. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I watch for foriegn coins, silver, wheat and steel pennies and bicentennial quarters.

Pickings are scarce but I got a bicentennial quarter last week.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I'm looking at this coin now 1980 L.50

coin.

19. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Why? I may have one from my time in Vicenza in the '80s.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

One that was slipped to me in my change old chap!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7