Recipe Do you know what a pie iron or sandwich iron is?

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by tacmotusn, Aug 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. tacmotusn

tacmotusn Mosquito Sailor Site Supporter+

As someone who spent time as a Cub Scout, Boy Scout, and Explorer I enjoyed many camping trips. One device that amazed me was a "pie iron" or "sandwich iron". Some very enjoyable edibles were produced with this simple device.

Here is one example, Amazon.com: Rome's #1705 Square Pie Iron with Steel and Wood Handles: Kitchen & Dining priced at $14.34. Today you can find many variations.

The following recipe instantly brought to mind what a wonderful quick and easy Apple Pie for one or two that could be produced in a very primitive environment with this Jam and a couple slices of bread, and a pie iron.

Amazing Apple Pie Jam

ingredients;
    1 lemon
    6 cups mixed red and green apples (about 7 medium sized
    1 cup water
    1 tablespoon butter
    3 cups sugar
    2 cups packed light brown sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

directions;

Zest lemon into a small bowl. Set both zest and lemon aside for later use.

Add water, butter, and juice from 1/2 of the lemon (about 1 1/2 tablespoons) to a stockpot or large saucepan.

Wash the apples, but do not peel. Remove the cores by quartering each apple lengthwise and cutting into each quarter on an angle.

Using a food processor, finely chop the apples, with the skins on, until you have 6 cups in total. Add each chopped cup of apples directly to the lemon-water to prevent the fruit from browning.

Add lemon zest and cook apples over medium-low heat until apples are soft, about 10 minutes. Stir frequently.

When apples have softened, bring mixture to a rolling boil, and add in sugars, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

Return mixture to a rolling boil and stir constantly for 7-10 minutes, or until mixture begins to thicken up.

Ladle hot jam directly into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. Place lids on jars and screw caps into place.

Process jam jars for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Remove from water bath and set jars down in a cool, draft-free place to cool completely before moving to the refrigerator. (Jam will continue to set overnight in the fridge.)
    Yield:

3 , pint-sized (16 oz) mason jars - the third jar will fall a wee bit short with the amounts listed above.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I grew up with them as camping, and scouting gear. I have a few, also telescoping forks, and a full set of skewers for both campfire and grill. They will pack easily and cleanly in a 4" piece of schedule 40 PVC pipe with caps on both ends. add a handle to the side, and it is very portable. :D

3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn Mosquito Sailor Site Supporter+

I have not had anything to eat today, just a big mug of coffee (my norm). Posting this recipe and the info/idea about the pie iron got my mind spinning out ideas. Some time ago I posted a bacon bourbon jam recipe. I was just thinking, I wonder how delicious 2 slices of good homemade sourdough or whole wheat buttered bread, with a generous dollop of bacon bourbon jam and one egg, and or not, a slice of cheddar cheese would taste done in a pie iron?

Mike likes this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Research is required.;)

5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey Site Supporter

And they are Racoon Proof.

6. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Monkey+++

there's a few web sites devoted to pie iron recipes and cookery .... makes a great "hot pocket" type sandwich

7. wastelander

wastelander Bad English, bare with me

Look like what granny makes waffles in :) I need me one of those! It might require a licence though since they look like they could be used as a weapon.

This is the style of waffle-iron I mean: vaffeljarn.

Mike likes this.
  8. Mike

Mike Ol' Army Sergeant Monkey

Being an full timer in an RV, we have a set of irons. Have made jelly filled sandwiches, pizza sandwiches, cheese sandwiches, egg and cheese sandwiches. Good stuff.

9. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Monkey+++

the Pam spray cooking oil came on the market when we were finishing up the regular use of pie irons ... found the product was handy keeping the pie/sandwich sticking problem limited

tacmotusn and Mike like this.
  10. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

Rome make the best pie irons. Spray cooking oil is a must imo for a pie iron. The sky is the limit with a pie iron. Canned pie filling, cream cheese. Pepperoni, cheese, and sauce. Stewed apples and cheddar cheese. You can use it over coals on a campfire, use charcoal briquets(?), over a one burner or two burner stove. They are a neat cooking tool.

tacmotusn likes this.
  1. Gator 45/70
  2. Ganado
  3. DKR
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Motomom34
  6. runswithdogs
  7. sdr
  8. Bishop
    Here is my twist on veitnamess pho [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Nov 19, 2017, 4 replies, in forum: Recipes
  9. GOG