Do you know your spiders?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

[​IMG]
    You better get to know it when you see it.

2. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yes, if you look closely, he spider is in the crouching mode. If you look even closer, he is only using the back two eyes on the top of his head, he is preparing for my boot to squish the &(#@ out of him! Soon after this picture is taken, he looks like spider stew! b::

3. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Ok..it won't fit in the google toolbar....what is it?

(my first thought , when seeing the topic "Do you know your spiders?" was NO, and don't wanna , either... :D )

4. sniper-66

Sorry CRC, prior to being crushed by my boot, it was a brown recluse! A particularly nasty little bugger if you get bit by one!

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

How large do they get?
    I have some that look similar around here

6. sniper-66

They get a little larger than a 50 cent piece on average. Leave a nasty bite, the tissue goes necrotic and you loose a large plug of skin and tissue. Can be worse than a black widow

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Had a pipefitter some years ago stuck his hand in a box of fittings and got bit. Arm was paralyzed for serveral months, and that after a run to the ER with difficulty breathing. Good guys to avoid.

8. melbo

Good thing they don't fly. That would be bad

9. CRC

My ex brother in law got bit by one of those...he lost a HUGE plug of skin on his leg...

He was really sick...for a long time!

10. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

My daughter at age 6 was bitten by one on her neck, took over a year to get it stopped. Left behind a scar tissue patch the size of oblong silver dollar.
    Good job sniper they are ones to watch out for!
    I work around these daily and Black Widows and Hobo's. :shock:

11. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Yikes!.... I hate spiders!
    We've got Cane Spiders here.... not anywhere near as bad!
    Caught a few for my daughter (don't want her to be a sissy girl)... they like mealworms and cockroaches.... yuck!

Common Name: Cane Spider
    EEEEEEeeeeeeek!!!!
    Scientific: Heteropoda venatoria
    Size: 3 to 4 inches wide
    Color: Light brown
    Habitat: Sea level to 9,000 ft
    Dangerous: No - generally timid and rarely bites
    Creepy! The Cane Spider (also known as the Large Brown Spider) is one big spider. Usually the size of a can of tuna fish, this spider has a huge body and thick hairy legs.

The Cane Spider can be found on all the Hawaiian Islands and, as the name implies, the spider frequented the cane fields. Indeed, 4-wheeling through any abandoned cane field can result in a number of uninvited cane spiders attached to your vehicle.

While certainly scary looking, this spider is actually quite a helpful arachnid. The Cane Spider does not spin a web, but instead hunts for food at night. Just about any insect is fair game for this spider, including cockroaches and silverfish.

Cane Spiders are very reluctant to bite and prefer to run instead of defend. However, if sufficiently provoked the spider can bite and though rare, can inject venom. The spider's bite is small and usually does not result in any long term problems.

Cane Spiders will often find their way into houses. While nobody wants to be startled by the sudden appearance of one of these hairy beasts, they are beneficial in the home and it is not recommended to kill the spider (either let it out or let it live in the home).

The spider we have pictured on this page indeed came into the home where it disappeared into the bathroom only to reappear a number of times. First, when the toilet paper dispenser was rotated the spider dashed out - whoa. Second... picking up a bath towel from the floor, while stepping out of the shower, the spider jumped off the towel and dashed to the window - Eeeeek. Third, while hiding under the cupboards the spider dashed out and up over a friend's foot and up the wall - gak!

Since the spider does not have a web the egg case is carried by the mother in her mouth for up to a month, during which time she will not eat and constantly guards the precious bundle of children.

By the way... notice anything odd about our Cane Spider pictured here? He (or she) only has 7 legs, instead of 8 found normally on spiders. The 8th missing leg was probably lost in a battle with the cat or other local creature.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. melbo

I really need to get some pics of some of my TN tuna can size spiders. We have 2 different types. Though the locals call them all 'wood spiders'. One is hairy like a wolf spider and the other is slick and tends to hold it's bottom and top legs together. I'll try to find some. acyually, I only see them I I don't expect to.

The first type is very strong and fast, When I trap one to send it outside, I can feel it pulsing under the rag. The second one just sits on a wall, usually under the house.

I really don't like any spiders

13. CRC

We have some like that here...and I don't know what they are...We just call them "banana spiders"..they live in the bushes or trees...make their web from one bush to the other...I have walked in to the web many times , in a hurry...

No clue what they really are..... :rolleyes: :oops:

14. CRC

Well ..google is good for something..

GOLDEN SILK SPIDER: (Nephila clavipes) This picture is a golden silk spider. Most people call them Banana Spiders because of their yellow bodies. They weave very strong webs which look like gold thread in the sunshine. That’s why they are called Golden Silk Spiders. Their legs look long and hairy. The female is much bigger than the male. She is about 3 inches long, and the male is only 1/2 inch long. They make big webs, about 3 feet wide and live all over the southern US, especially Florida. They rarely ever bite people. Some people have allergic reactions to spider bites, but for most people, it’s the same as getting bitten by an ant or deer fly. It’s not fun, but it won’t kill you.
    bananaspider_915.

15. sniper-66

Well, if we are going to start showing our spiders off, here is one that took up residence on the side of our tent in Panama. This voracious little bugger was a hoot to feed. We would throw crickets on his web and it was like watching a calf roping show. This thing could take a cricket and in three seconds have it completely cocooned and already be drinking it's juices. We liked him so much that when we started to tear down, we were going to remove him back to the jungle. An E-5 went up to him and knocked him on the floor and stomped on him, he also killed our tarantula. I grabbed him and told him that if he stepped on one more of our pets, I was going to beat him right there in front of his friends. He thought I was kidding until I grabbed him and pulled him to the ground and asked for volunteers to hold him down while I stomped him to death. The boy hasn't spoke to me since!

[​IMG]

16. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Most of the brown recluses around here are a little smaller than a quarter. They like dark quiet places so cloths that have been stored are a likely place to find them. Antibiotics help to stop the venom and prevent the flesh from dieing.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7