Do you like eggs and green ham

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

[​IMG]

TAIPEI (Reuters) - Taiwan, home to the world's first transgenic glowing fish, has successfully bred fluorescent green pigs that researchers hope will boost the island's stem cell research, a professor said Thursday.

By injecting fluorescent green protein into embryonic pigs, a research team at the island's leading National Taiwan University managed to breed three male transgenic pigs, said professor Wu Shinn-Chih of the university's Institute and Department of Animal Science and Technology.

"There are partially fluorescent green pigs elsewhere, but ours are the only ones in the world that are green from inside out. Even their hearts and internal organs are green," Wu said on Thursday.

The transgenic pigs, commonly used to study human diseases, would help researchers monitor and trace changes of the tissues during the physical development, Wu said.

In 2003, a Taiwan company began selling the world's first genetically engineered fish, sparking protests by environmentalists who said the fluorescent green fish posed a threat to the earth's ecosystem.

In neighboring South Korea, disgraced stem cell scientist Hwang Woo-suk apologized Thursday for wrongdoing at his laboratory, but hinted at a conspiracy to discredit him and said he was blinded by the zeal of advancing stem cell studies.

An investigation panel at Seoul National University said on Tuesday that a team led by Hwang faked two landmark papers on embryonic stem cells, but did produce the world's first cloned dog.

2. Quigley_Sharps

[​IMG]
    Night time shot

3. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

So the interior (meat, muscle, tissues, blood) would be all green?!?!

Ummm.. no thanks! :eek:

I could not, would not, on a boat, not with a goat, not in the rain, nor on a train.
    Not in the dark, not in the light - I fear I could not sleep that night.

I think I'll stick with food coloring.

4. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

You beat me to it Tracy!

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

You got a link for the article Quig?

6. Quigley_Sharps

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7