Do You Prep At Work?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meat, Sep 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Not in the survival sense but organized and laid out in advance. I sure do. I’ve pretty much always done that. I get a lot of comments after someone gets something out(which I of course already have) along the lines of “F. I should have known!” I drive people nuts at times I’m sure. They just gotta be quicker. Lol. :D

2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I have enough crap in my desk (food, water, ect), to pack up and get back home with.... not to mention my GHB in my car.
    There is a .45 in my lap-top bag with three extra mags, the GHB has spare ammo.
    My everyday carry supplements......
    Do I prep at work.... not really, I prep everywhere. ;)

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Back in the day, I had what amounted to two GHBs. One in the office that would get me to the vehicle or much further if necessary. The other was in the vehicle. Considering the situation at the time (me in an office building and the vehicle in a multi level garage) it was conceivable that one or the other escape route would be compromised.

4. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I don't run around at high port if that's what you mean. I keep my eyes open and my mouth shut. I feel very comfortable at work.

I don't work in a gun free zone.

Gator 45/70, Zimmy, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I telecommute, so I do prep where I work. I always have a minimal GHB in my vehicle, and if I leave the area (say longer than an overnight walk home) I bring more.

When I did have a physical office, same regarding the vehicle, but I kept extra water, food, and clothes at work. Because my office was on the other side of the Columbia, I had to be prepared to hoof it to cross at Cascade Locks if necessary if I couldn't cross the river in the metro area.

6. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Have a small efficiency apartment provides for me at work that I have stocked with food and water alternate means for cooking as well as extra clothing for the just in case theres a blizzard. Truck has a seasonal appropriate get home bag, home being over a hundred miles and mountain ranges and rivers to be crossed, I am in no bustin hurry to walk it. It would be a pretty walk tho..

Gator 45/70, Zimmy, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  7. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Yup. Way more than I can talk about in public.

8. My husband works 5 miles away. We have mapped out alternate routes and walked them, in case SHTF. He has food and essentials stored in his locker. We agreed that I should wait for him to get home, unless he contacts me.

9. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

I used to work.

Dont, Gator 45/70, oldawg and 3 others like this.
  10. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Same here. I kept a GHB in my vehicle, and had some preps in my desk at work.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I have a GHB and supplies in my truck which is seldom more than 100 yards from my primary office desk, so not much need to keep much at work. (And I can conceal carry there, in fact there have been times HR requested that I do and even checked that I was.)

12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I quit workin, and I live in and amongst my preps, so there is that! I'm normally never more then 100 yards away from my Pickup, and there is enough supplies in it to supply a full platoon, and enough fuel to drive about 600 miles, or about 250 off road! I very rarely leave my A.O. and know every rock, tree and rabbit hole within a 300 mile radius, so i'm all good!

13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

That's a great point about walking from your workplace to your home and having alternate routes. My commute was too long for that to be practical, but I did at least drive my alternate routes and in some places slowly and made notes. Vehicle always has comfortable hiking boots and plenty of socks. As @DKR has mentioned a bicycle is always good to have at hand. It can turn a long and difficult one or two day trip into a couple of hours. Something I hadn't thought about when I had my office.

14. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

When I work (I'm a part-timmer) home to work is an 8 min drive. About 3.5 miles, pretty straight line at that. CAll it an easy hours walk in the good weather. Two hours of no fun in winter...

The real problem I see is traffic. In the recent 7.2 earthquake, traffic was blocked (no traffic light + idiots) at two key intersections. I was able to get to my DW workplace using alternative routes. The other neat thing is my auto can drive on bicycle paths and fit thru bicycle tunnels under roadways (No, I used a tape measure...)

Well worth checking in advance and having a lot more than one way to get from Pt A to Pt B.

15. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

I retired quite a while ago. I still have a get home bag in my truck.

16. My husband is very lucky to find a job 5 miles away in the middle of nowhere. I would like to get a couple of folding bikes, just in case. A couple of weeks ago I listened to a podcast that focused on getting home when hundreds of miles away. The podcaster recommended caches along several routes. I thought that was a good idea.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I know what I'm going to steal and how I'm going to steal it when s hits f.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

.... this.

Gator 45/70 and hot diggity like this.
  19. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

I used to keep an A.R.K (Apocalypse Response Kit) at work. It was basically a "get home bag." At the time, that would mean an 11 mile walk over flat terrain with a modest population density.

Since then, I transferred to a workplace only 1 mile from home, so I don't really need the ARK anymore. At most, I keep some bottled water and high energy snack foods like peanuts and granola bars at work.

I have fallen out of the habit of carrying supplies in my vehicle for times when I'm further from home. I need to get back to that.

And of course I pack an gun anytime I can.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

One of these, ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5KNJN9/?tag=survivalmonke-20 ), heavily augmented, in my laptop bag, along with an Icom 51a, and a 15 minute smoke hood, plus my daily carry weapon and three mags.
    A full blown GHB in the truck to allow a 36 mile walk home should need arise.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Yard Dart
  4. fl4848
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. Motomom34