DOD planning a “very bad day”.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yard Dart, Oct 31, 2017.

1. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

s'all gud! (y)

It's not the common name though and I'm guessing that they didn't actually interview anyone and the reporter was padding words and or thought he was doing a service because if you don't know what the ARRL is (and you wouldn't necessarily unless you were into HAM), even saying "Amateur Radio Relay League" wouldn't be of much help.

3M-TA3 and ghrit like this.
  2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

The exercise continues throughout the month. My part does not get played until 15 November from 0800 until 1600.
    Here's a brief on it:

GridEx

3M-TA3 and mysterymet like this.
  3. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

When my husband used to work for a power company he used to tell me about these exercises.

4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I did a security audit for Kansas City Power and Light back in the late 90's after one such exercise. The entire south east grid can be controlled from their war room, which in and of itself would be very impressive today. The place then was full of holes with default passwords and unsecured entry points. The engineers had created an impressive achievement technically, but had completely ignored security.

The extent that the government went through during the exercise was also pretty impressive. It was very thorough to the point that government hackers compromised almost every single player on the US grid, and I mean actually not theoretically. They could have shut things down if that had been their plan.

Yard Dart likes this.
  5. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Yeah, like a network I was on last week, tons of security and firewalls galore, but left the router password as default. admin/admin and I was in, set up a VNC on a virtual machine and violated a ton of HIPPA regulations from 12 miles away. Talk about seeing a red faced IS manager.....

Yard Dart and 3M-TA3 like this.
  1. Minuteman
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Yard Dart
  5. fl4848
  6. Motomom34
  7. Motomom34
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Coyote Ridge