Does ANYONE recognize this Antenna?

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by BTPost, Oct 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

IMG_0855. Does ANYONE know what kind of Antenna this might be???
    It is 24" long, and mounts on a Stud.... It is Loose Helically Wound from the Bottom up to about 14", and then very tightly Helically Wound on the Top 10"... I go this in the Box with the TS-480HX Radio along with a bunch of other Shack Sweepings... Could it be a Six Meter Shortened Whip of some sort? Does anyone recognize it, and who is the OEM? Inquiring Minds sure would like to know?

2. fmhuff

fmhuff Monkey+++

It's hard to tell but it looks like the kind of top loaded trucker CB antenna's you'd find at truck stops in every conceivable color and style. You could test it's resonant frequency to get a good idea of the band if you know anybody who's a Ham.

Oltymer and Tully Mars like this.
  3. BTPost

i got a Super Trucker CB Antenna for the White Toyota 4X4 Pickup Truck already, so i was hoping it was a 6 Meter Loaded Whip... I could use one of those.. Guess i will have to get out the Grid Dip Meter, and go Old School...

4. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Sure looks like a CB whip

5. smithcp2002

smithcp2002 Monkey+++

CB whip called a FireStick. Had one on the road truck, good reach.

Oltymer likes this.
  6. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

Why not put it on a test set and determine its resonant frequency? From there you will be able to tell what it is.

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Somewhat as an aside, firesticks obviously do NOT work at all well singly without a ground plane to work against. In the bad old days of trucker's CB, you would see firesticks (and often other flavors) mounted outboard on both mirror mounts. Conveniently, the mirror mounts were pretty close to a quarter of a CB wavelength apart, so if they were "balanced" with identical length feed lines, they behaved like a dipole and produced a decent omni pattern without needing a ground. (Also got around the nuisance value of the trailer.) (Or at least that was the published reason that they worked that way.)

Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  8. BTPost

Well, Thank you all for the Replys... i will find my GridDip Meter and see what it says, and let you know...

Ok, after some testing, AND, some research, the Antenna in question, is CONFIRMED to be a FireStick CB Antenna... Dang... Oh well, now to see if i can prune it for 6 Meters..

9. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Maybe I could just send ya mine...failed. I shortened one and it was resonant on 6 but being omni had no gain. They will make a fine 10 meter though.

10. BTPost

i have one of the great Super KW Trucker Antennas already for the White Toyota 4X4 Pickup Truck, and i have a Scewdriver Antenna HF Mobile Antenna that i just need to go pick up, so 6 Meters is all i need, now... I am sorry that i can not find my pictures of the White Toyota 4X4 Pickup Truck and the Radio installations, and Antennas... I thought i posted them on here but apparently i did not... or at least i can not find them.. I will. take more in April, the next time i go on vacation...

11. alaskachick

alaskachick A normally quiet snow monkey

Heck honey, it came in the mail! It's a present from the gods. ;)

VisuTrac, ghrit and BTPost like this.
  1. deMolay
  2. hitchcock4
  3. sdr
  4. BTPost
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. SB21
  7. hitchcock4
  8. melbo
  9. stg58
  10. tekdoggy
  11. Tikka