Domestic Hot Water from a Woodstove

Discussion in 'Survival Articles' started by ColtCarbine, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Thanks to all for an excellent article/thread. I know its old hat to all of you, but I just found it. I think its good that the older threads are being brought back up for all of us newer members! I am going to give this some serious thought as it should be pretty simple to fab up and install.

2. Airborne Monkey

Airborne Monkey Gorilla Survivalpithecus

Pretty cool thread! Subscribed, and thanks. Although this applies more to y'all up north than it does to us down South.

3. Maxflax

Maxflax Lightning in a bottle

Excellent content, helps me get ready to set up the castle basement log burner and hot water in cold months. Here's the type of warm weather water heater we will use, except ours will be massive, huge pipe and at the top of a tower. Ever grab a water hose on a warm day? Same concept...except black PVC pipe will get even hotter

[​IMG]

chelloveck and Yard Dart like this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Yes, greenpowerscience.com did a rooftop solar water heater for a shower.

chelloveck likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just a NOTE, here.... I just had to change out my In FireBox Copper Coil, after 20 years. Our Hard Water finally built up enough Percipitates to clog up the Coil... Result, Luke Warm shower one morning.... We have plenty of Hot Water now.....

6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Question regarding using your stove for hot water. @ColtCarbine is the guru for this stuff and I have read all he wrote on this thread. I have seen images of this set up:

teach-nollaig-tiny-house-5.

It seem much more simplistic but I am wondering is it as effective? The article made it sound so easy-

7. BTPost

Couple of things WRONG with the above picture......
    1. The bottom of the Heating Coil and the Tank should be close to the same level.
    2. They have the Coil plumbed into the Tank, BACKWARDS. The Bottom of the Tank goes to the Bottom of the Coil,
    and the Top of the Coil goes to the Top of the Tank.
    3, It would be better, and more efficient, if the Copper coil was on the INSIDE,
    of the StovePipe, instead of the Outside. We use Steel Wool, as filler, to plug up the Holes that bring the copper Coils out of the Pipe

Other than that, it is a nice setup, and should make a LOT of nice HOT Water.....

I can explain the Physics, if there are any questions.....

8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I knew it was too good to be true. I have seen a few images of that set up with just a tank and coil. I kept wondering about the lack of relief valve and other parts. The tank and coil set up looks easy and the one I attached a picture of is in a tiny house. Simplifying is good unless it is dangerous.

ColtCarbine and chelloveck like this.
  9. kellory

No need for a relief valve, when the top opens for filling. The more coils, the more heat picked up from the pipe. Water circulates by thermal (heat rises, cold sinks, so yes, it is plumbed backwards)

chelloveck likes this.
  10. BTPost

Just another NOTE, here.... It could be that what the User wanted. is to use the Water Tank, as an additional Radiator, to help heat the space, by adding more SURFACE Area, for the Inside Air to take Heat BTUs from the Wood Stove. We use our 150 USG Hot Water Tank in this capacity, as well as supplying ALL our domestic Hot Water....

ColtCarbine, chelloveck and kellory like this.
  11. kellory

For woodburner, you can also get a "water jacket" heater. They are most often filled with water and welded shut, to spread out the heat over a longer time. But I have seen them, with a hard waterline coming in, and a faucet for hot water out. Hard-line goes to an overhead water tank of a few gallons.

12. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

I really like this, Tobit!!!

ColtCarbine and chelloveck like this.
  13. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

To the top

chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  14. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I have always liked this thread and its posts....it is one of the more inspiring threads here. (y)

ColtCarbine and Tully Mars like this.
  15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have long considered making a water heater over my wood stove but a little differently.
    I have an RV water heater tank that is in good shape and all the externals removed .
    My plan is to build 2 stove pipe Ts and divert that heat through the water heater and control it with a bimetal spring similar to what is used on an automotive exhaust manifold, for dampening and controlling the heat to the tank . Safety valve of course , but eliminates a lot of plumbing.
    And by the way IMO I prefer using compression fittings with soft copper rather then sweating silver solder on rigid tubing . it's much more forgiving and more durable in extreme heat .The little comparative expense in fittings is worth it if you have to redo something.
    plus I'm lazy .

16. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

And again

17. BTPost

An “Oldie but.Goodie” thread... Thanks fo r bringing it back, CC....

ColtCarbine likes this.
  18. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

A good thread resurrection. (y)

ColtCarbine likes this.
  19. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I built my system for the winter , solar in the summer!!

Since im redoing the solar now I take shots and explain the reason why !! Im SO anal on
    safety and over protect ..
    Sloth
    I test this and get tested , then the rules are set for insurance ..
    Same as we do at Midnite/Outback

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    chelloveck likes this.
  20. Shinmen Takezo

Shinmen Takezo Monkey+++

I like the ideas here. My wife wants me to build an old fashioned Japanese style bath in the yard up in our place in the mountains. These baths were and still are heated with wood stoves. My wife's aunt's home near Mt. Fuji is 400 years old with a thatched roof. The water there is heated with a wood fire device. Her aunt just turned 101 BTW. I think we will be inheriting this place when she kicks the bucket. The ideas here seem workable. I have a spare woodstove and I think I can modify it to heat water. I'm thinking something along these lines in an old Japanese style shed...

[​IMG]

1. Gator 45/70
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. TnAndy
  4. Motomom34
  5. VisuTrac
  6. oil pan 4
  7. oil pan 4
  8. Kavode
  9. Hillbilly549
  10. BenP
  11. BenP