Don Rickles Gone at 90.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DKR, Apr 6, 2017.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Today’s #VeteranOfTheDay is Navy Veteran Don Rickles.

After graduating from high school in New York, Don enlisted in the U.S. Navy and served for two years during World War II on the motor torpedo boat tender USS Cyrene as a seaman first class.

Don sailed on the USS Cyrene through the Panama Canal, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, and San Francisco. He has said of one deployment, “It was so hot and humid, the crew rotted.” He was honorably discharged in 1946.

Just wanted to put this out, so few entertainers these day have their honorable military service as part of the public Eulogies/Obits or Bios.

He may have been an asshat, but he was a funny one... Goodbye, Don. Thanks for the laughs.....

2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

S'long, CPO Sharkey!

3. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

My wife downloads all old shows & movies , I still see Mr R , as he was in his time .

My 3 sons , I dream Of ? Be-_______ ,, Many are real old shows & entertain !!!
    sloth

sec_monkey, hank2222 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  4. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

RIP, Don, you rotten betard! :)

sec_monkey and hank2222 like this.
  5. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

God I'm going to miss him

sec_monkey likes this.
  6. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

Don Rickles was one of the last remaining big name Las Vegas comedy acts who started his career in other venues, and was already well-regarded when his act hit the Strip. Today LV is loaded with talent, but it's often locally grown without the big name appeal.

Rickles was in his prime during that golden era of live stand-up Las Vegas comedy during the1960s, 70s & 80s. Comics didn't use vulgarity back then like they do now. Risque', yes, but always leaving enough for the audience's imagination to fill in the rest. He was outrageously offensive in a very funny way, pointing out to everyone that we all need to step back, chill out, and laugh at ourselves from time to time.

7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Well, he was Jewish, and his passing was enough to bring that late night stand-up Hillary Cheerleader to a steady cry and he did put on a good performance, as all Hollywood Zionists tend to do --but Don was classically and genuinely funny.

It's tough to say anything nice when you're surrounded by enemies on every side, when the children are being subjected to mind altering drugs doled out by the pharmaceutical establishment, with subliminal messages strewn about and mimetic phrases to inspire emotional sentiment heralding a new age of Fascism that would have even made Hitler weep with joy.

But, I never carried any resentment toward Don Rickles, personally...so R.I.P. old fella.

8. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

He had a good innings. I preferred him as an actor, and he performed well in some supporting roles....but as a comedian.....he didn't impress me all that much. His style of cheap shots and sarcasm at the expense of others didn't strike me as much of a talent or particularly funny. I feel sorrow for his family at his loss to them, but his humour...??? Can't say I'll miss it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  9. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Rest in peace ya' hockey puck.

Capt. Tyree likes this.
  10. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

Didn't care for him, didn't think he was funny, and won't miss him.

Jim

chelloveck likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7