Don't doo dis...

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Tango3, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

I spend alot of time with my laptop upstairs in "my chair"( on the wi -fi) because it is comfortable, but the printer is downstairs with the desktop....
    It occurs to me alot of my preparedness stuff (pdf field manuals,BOOKMARKED net pages etc ) is simply saved/stored on my laptop...if the net shutsdown and/or my lousy batteries give in; my "bookmarks mean diddley, All that located and "SAVED" information is gone[gone]Job #1 tomorrow get a ream of paper and binder...
    Start printing hard copies...same realization hit me about two weeks before y2K...
    Hate those "oh crap":eek: moments later on ...another Good reason to practice;) ...

2. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Funny, I've got a folder on my hard drive called LATC (Life after the crash) with saved and cataloged web pages acrobat files and info I've copied from wherever. It's currently 232 megs. Everything from recipes/survival cooking, to homebrew fuels, solar, livestock, gardening, you name it.

I've been meaning to do the same for a very long time now, perhaps I should go ahead, eh?

3. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Thats a lot of paper to be lugging around. I would look at an inexpensive PDA that you could have a set-up for SD Cards. I recently loaded the entire Johnny Cash albums onto a single 2Gig flash card. You could do all the same with your files and get a solar charger for the PDA or an older version that takes good old AAA batteries.

Your entire library could fit in your pocket and be carried with you everywhere you go.

4. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

flintlocks to half-cock....
    Tricorder reading mr. clyde?:):)

5. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Yes. A future esque way of keeping vast amounts of information your pocket...ready for instant access at a moments notice and you can take it anywhere you go. 300 sheets of paper = 1,350 grams/453 grams per pound = about 3 lbs of paper to lug everywhere. The 4 oz method isnt so bad.

6. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Sounds like a good idea really..... I still wanna print it all out though, just to be able to look through it the old fashioned way :)

7. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

If possible, especialy if the primairy plan is to bug in I would say do BOTH. That way if for some reason, say an EMP large enouph to effect it, the electronic meathod fails then you can fall back on the paper but as long as it still works then if you had to BO you could grab the electronicly stored info and go.

8. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Sounds about right to me. If you are going to your retreat then you could have your hardcopies waiting on you when you get there. Though a PDA with it on there may come in handy. If nothing else, you could find an all purpose survival guide in hardcopy to carry with you if it isn't too heavy.

9. weasel

weasel Monkey+++

Reams and reams of paper, laser printer, all kinds of sizes of 3 ring binders, working nights........job perks.....if I wanted to of course [sheep]

10. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Don't be drawing the heat, companies frown on that kinda stuff for some reason...perks aint what they used to be...

11. sci

sci Monkey+++

I keep a notebook stored with notes and a copy of "The S.A.S. Survival Handbook" on hand. Of course, there's also my iPod that has basic information stored on it (on railroads, rarely traveled streets, local edible plants and possible water sources) in case I'm in class and have to bug out of campus.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7