Doomsday Prep'ers BS...

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by BTPost, Mar 13, 2013.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Ah, that could be a problem. You might think about building a set of skids and renting a winch when the wallet fattens up.

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Winch is already on my list for the new truck.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

They are cheaper if you get them DIRECTLY from the Shipping Company, rather than a Used Broker. If you live near A PORT OF ENTRY, check with a Shipper/Importer in the Port.

2" Pipes 10 ft long, about five of them will work find if nothing else is available. Empty they do not weigh all that much.... Of course around here, I have a forklift, that can move an empty Conex, but That isn't something everyone has. In the summers the Barge Line leaves us TWO forklifts that can move 120K Pound LOADED 40' Conex Boxes, with ease. Again, not something that most folks have access to..... .....

4. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Local wrecker company may be able to help you out with placement.. Seen where our local placed a 40 footer on some property.. Or rent a cat...

5. kellory

Manual labor. Money is tight.

6. jollyrodger13

jollyrodger13 ready for action

[js]
    I've been to many different sites and found good info, BUT I feel this site is TOP SHELF!! I don't talk on here to much but I,m so glad I found this site, if the info wasn't on here someone would know where to find it!! thanx to all on here.[js][coo]

7. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I paid 3 K for my 20' . No damage , built in 2001 , two locking doors . One thing i did was go see it while it was raining , checking for leaks . Many were leaking & having tell tail-stains wasn't good enough for what I planned for the can.
    Sloth

Edit add, Delivered !!
    Another 200 to get in a crane to position it in.

8. tatkinsh

tatkinsh Monkey

There is also a kit form of reefer that can be taken almost anywhere and set up. The panels interlock to each other and can be assembled with only the single tool that comes with the kit. There is a roofing kit option that turns the unit into a free standing structure. If they are properly sighted and anchored they can withstand quite a lot of bad weather. The component panels are so light that they can be carried quite a ways by one person. I set up several of these that I then fitted out as communications shelters in remote locations and they worked out really well in service. One thing that we found out the hard way is that the floor panels are too flexible to be unsupported through any portion of their area. The floor panels must be set on a hard surface and continuously supported to avoid deforming and distorting the shape of the entire structure. The reason that we resorted to reefer kits for use as communications shelters was their weight to strength performance was so good that the cost of transportation savings were phenominal. When you are sighting the shelters on ridge tops getting the thing there can cost a lot more than the shelter itself.

--
    Tommy

Yard Dart likes this.
  9. tatkinsh

tatkinsh Monkey

You can rent a five ton military style truck with a built on crane to position it. Problem is that since I was a field technician rather than the project manager I have no idea how much that costs. The guys over on the Steel Soldiers web site can help you out with sourcing. I have been told that the wheel sets for the S240 shelters can be adapted to many shipping containers but I cannot vouch for that personally as I have never seen it done. The wheel sets are called M832 dolly sets or mobilizers. I know from having seen it done that S280 Shelters can traverse truly rugged ground once they are fitted with mobilizers and towed by a deuce and a half. So if the mobilizers can really be adapted to a shipping container then a days rental on a truck and dolly set should get one anywhere it could possibly go. FWIW.

--
    Tommy

Yard Dart likes this.
  10. Dont

We understand, you shy... It's ok there little monkey!!
    Seriously, if you ask a question, someone can provide you with an answer or just point to some obscure corner of a hard drive..

11. kellory

Now that is a thought. hadn't thought of adding wheels. this will not be a very easy thing to do, anyway you slice it, though. a crane could not be used, no way to get it in there. (this is a remote hunting site. ) it would take a serious truck to pull it up the slope on the back half of the property. it requires 4 wheel drive, when it rains. this property is low in the center where the watershed is and the culvert passes under the road. the road is mostly dirt with some gravel at the worst spots, and it is not straight. i could use the smallest shipping container shown on that used broker's chart above. that 8' X 20' would be enough. I had enough sheet steel on site to build a wood storage shed and roof it, but someone felt they needed my materials more than I did. that is the reason I want to have on site secure storage. as it is, they are scraping my car, when I'm not there. Turned a nice little 4X4 into scrap metal while I was gone. (bass-turds)
    When I can afford to do this, it will be at minimum cost, or it will not happen, so I expect to have to do it the hardest way possible. (by hand)
    I have chains, and 4 come-alongs, block and tackles, access to 2 ton chainfalls, and hope to have a winch by then. It will have to be enough, but wheels WOULD be better than rollers, I think.
    it will be set, on a raised bed of gravel, framed in railroad ties. So it will be well drained, but costs will dictate WHEN this is possible. It is not a possibility now at the prices I have heard so far. There is, however, a shipping company locally, that does the truck delivery container. I will try to stop in, and see what it would cost to buy, and have one dropped at my site. i believe these are the same type of containers, and I do not need an insulated one.

12. kellory

@jollyrodger13 , you might like to stop by the shoutbox, and have a live chat with whoever is here at the time. no pressure, and it doesn't need to even be serious. sometimes, it is nice just to hang out with friends, and shoot the bull for a while, and have a cyber-beer.

13. Dont

As someone else mentioned, make sure it don't leak... What would the cost to have it air lifted in? With the number of logging operations , there may be an opertunity out there...

14. kellory

Not gonna happen. Loggers here fell them, and use bobcats to pull them to the logging truck. ( I have added oak trees to the property, and there are black walnut there as well. They should be ready to harvest about when I retire. and I will be adding more.) The fuel cost to airlift it would begger me.

15. kellory

As for leaks, I can weld if needed, tar the roof, or even sheet it with roofing rubber, I already have.

16. Dont

No limit to what a handy guy can do...

17. kellory

There is a book I have read, but do not have, that I would like to find. It was about pioneer engineering. it showed how our forefathers did things, without the modern methods we use. I was impressed with the use of leverage, and earth anchors, fulcrums, and levers. (have you ever wondered how a ship at sea, could install it own masts? without any masts standing? ) I found the book in a used book store, but when I went back to buy it, it could not be found. To date, I have used several of the methods outlined in that book, including moving a neighbor's out building off my property, once i could prove it was encroaching upon my land. I walked that building off my land with levers and fulcrums.:cool:

18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Have you ever meet a Rigging Logger... They know how to make things move....

19. Dont

Do you remember the name???

20. kellory

" pioneer engineering" is as close as I remember.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7