Doomsday Preppers ???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CaboWabo5150, Jan 31, 2012.

1. CaboWabo5150

CaboWabo5150 Hell's coming with me

So.... How many of you would open your house and preps to a National TV show, showing your face to the World in the process.

Yeah.. That's what I thought.. I thought the first show was a pretty good show.. But you will not see my face on there.. It's a weekly series now Tuesdays at 7pm...

Doomsday Preppers - National Geographic Channel

2. limpingbear

limpingbear future cancer survivor....

not that i have a lot of preps.....but nobody needs to know what i got, how much i got, or where it might be. And i sure as hell dont need my face associated with having preps.....

ColtCarbine, tulianr and CaboWabo5150 like this.
  3. CaboWabo5150

Exactly....

4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

My prep's were looted awhile back...I miss my silo....

5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I'm so gray I disappear into the misty dawn.......

These folks will be the first item on the menu when The Golden Hoard goes shopping post-SHTFday.

6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

i have two cans of pork and beans and 3 cans of vienna sausage, and half a loaf of stale bread in my stockpile and a Daisy BB gun with 5,000 BB's.. but did they want me on their show.... Nooooo!... whats a prepper to do?...

Nadja, Cephus, oldawg and 7 others like this.
  7. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

When people hear "survivalist" or "prepper," .... unfortunately, this show is going to fuel the stereotype of what they think of. Obese whack-jobs that are on the fringe of normal behavior. I guess the "stars" don't realize that for most of those reality shows, the producers are making fun of them in a way--if you were normal, people wouldn't watch the show.

I don't think anyone that I've seen on the previews could walk a mile with a 30# pack. I don't think I'm going to be watching this. My time could be better spent reading a book or trying to figure out a skill like my affinity for dulling knives when I try to sharpen them.

It's a good thing that the CDC and people like Glenn Beck to bring the issue to the attention to markets other than the stereotype. To put another way, there shouldn't be a stigma associated with prepping for a __________. "Oh...you're one of those survivalist nut-jobs?" It should be a stigma NOT to be prepared.

8. CaboWabo5150

"I don't think anyone that I've seen on the previews could walk a mile with a 30# pack."

Now if were FOR a 30 pack... That's a different story !! :)

oth47 likes this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I do not worry about folks calling "Me" names like "Survivalist NutJob" as that is fairly tame from what the fisherman call "Me" when I kick them off "MY" Dock in the middle of winter... They get pretty nasty sometimes, right up to the point that I have to go pull the shotgun from the Truck. Then get on the cellphone, and call the local Trooper with a Criminal Trespass Complaint. Never had to point the Shotty at any of them, YET, and only one fellow, a decade ago, actually did get arrested, and spent 2 weeks in the GrayBar Hotel. Most of my Fisherman friends know the RULES out here, and abide by them. It is just the Newbies, like all Newbies, that need to get edumacated....

Cephus likes this.
  10. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Individually, I don't care either what people call me. That's not my concern. I rarely give pause to another's opinion of me. What I was talking about was society's view in a macro sense.

Think back just 10 years ago....you see people riding a bike, they might have a helmet on, might not. Now, people wear helmets and bright-yellow vests with flashing lights without fail. Something happen in our collective conscience that makes people think "safety."

I want that same thing for prepping...even if it's just having a month's worth of food on hand. But, as long as there's a stigma associated with it, people won't given it any serious consideration.

Now...before you go off calling me a libtard trying to save the grasshopper/sheeple....that's not the case at all. I don't care about them so much. The thoughts of having a child starve to death because the parents were ignorant causes me great distress. 5 years ago, I would've considered this Darwinism in action, but having your own makes you have another layer of worry. It is shown in my stress highlights (goatee has gone from black to gray in 4 years).

Ken_C, CaboWabo5150 and chelloveck like this.
  11. Waz

Waz Monkey+

Nearly finished the Book called One second after, worth a read if you haven't, totally fictional of course, but with a plausible truth behind the story, of course some great imagination, but still a worthy read, it's about what you are discussing here, and how the Ones that don't die earlier in a real SHTF scenario.
    Besides all the hype, name calling, an a Christian and we are used to it, not an Orthodox Main streamer lol, am also very aware of how quickly life can change for the worse, and it is just dumb to not have some extras on hand, it is there for emergencies or even when someone drops in unannounced and is hungry, at the same time, not letting them know you are a so called prepper, and besides, who the heck is it hurting?, ppl need to get a life and focus on bigger issues out there and stop worrying about what some folks are doing to get ready if there is a major event, we just never know what's around the corner, and should be ready

oth47 likes this.
  12. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

What you gonna do with all those BBs?

13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I'm going to be fly'n one of my Battle Flag's...
    I may throw out a can of spam every now and again for ''bait''...
    I will eat your DOG if need be...
    dont_tread_on_me. jolly_roger_Wallpaper_ruca.

Alpha Dog and Falcon15 like this.
  14. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

oldawg,knowing witchdoctor like I do,He's probably going to add it to his 5 alarm chili to enhance the flavor and texture!

Alpha Dog, oldawg, STANGF150 and 2 others like this.
  15. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I'm saving up for a m-11 fully automatic bb gun that i saw in a comic book.... it's way wicked.... and the same size as an uzi with out the paperwork!...;)

http://www.bbgunworld.com/store/item460.htm

Yep sapper if my chili needed some aded texture i might add a bit but it would probably be the copper plated ones as the flavor of trhe others leaves something to be desired...

oldawg, Sapper John and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Doomsday Preppers on tonight at 9 eastern on NatGeo.

I saw the previews , they got the fat dude that got his goat drunk, killed it, skinked it with an air compressor and then butchered it on youtube. AWESOME!

17. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

That "dude" is a bona fide idiot. I have been watching his YouTube channel with a jaundiced eye. He is about 2 Twinkies shy of a grave. Seriously, he has a hard time waddling around in his house.

Gator 45/70, Alpha Dog and VisuTrac like this.
  18. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I think I mentioned it before. It's just information to me. I might see something in the background of one of the shots and say 'Hey that a cool shed idea' or 'Now that's a good way to make space for preps'

Hell I even take my own suggestions with a grain of salt, a pinch of pepper and a dollop of horseradish.

19. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus Monkey+++

I'm three minutes into into it, and I'm very annoyed.

Falcon15 likes this.
  20. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

I wathed a couple the other night on demand and picked up a few what not to do and a couple of good ideas. With that being said there is no way I would go out and let the world see what I have. It wont be long before Big Brother raids the two guy that have the farm as a BLO. Showing them practice with the AR's they will be clasified as rummimg a terrorist camp

bountyhunter likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7