Doomsday Rifle Shoots 21 Different Calibers

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Yard Dart, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[​IMG]
    The Scavenger 6 is a new rifle that looks like a revolver and can fire 21 different calibers of ammunition, just by swapping out the cylinder.
    In a post-apocalyptic scenario where survival is dependent upon scavenging resources, it pays to be prepared. That’s the thinking behind Scavenger 6, a new rifle that can fire 21 different calibers of ammunition.

Though rifle hardly seems a fitting term, just look at it:

[​IMG]Image courtesy of Tim Ralston
    A rendering of Scavenger 6, a new firearm created by Tim Ralston.
    It looks like a cross between a .44 Magnum and an M1A1 carbine, and the crazy thing is that’s not inaccurate.

Scavenger 6 was designed and created by Air Force veteran Tim Ralston, who rose to prominence as an inventor and survivalist after appearing on the National Geographic Channel’s “Doomsday Preppers,” a reality television show about post-apocalyptic scenarios and survival planning.

The rifle can fire 21 different calibers of ammunition just by switching out the cylinder barrel, referred to as a CB. However, Ralston notes that if there’s a specific caliber you want, it can be custom ordered, though there are some exceptions: No .50-cal ammo, guys, don’t be ridiculous.

Related: This Badass Tomahawk Will Make You Long For The Zombie Apocalypse »

“Because the cylinder and barrel are one, I can get really creative about boring out the cylinder to whatever I want,” explained Ralston.

Scavenger 6 has three multi-caliber CBs, which fire six different rounds — one of each. The multi-caliber CBs are designed to fulfill three unique roles. There’s a hunting CB, which lets you fire ammunition like .223 and .308; a battle CB, which chambers 5.56 and .308, among others; and a survival CB, which is designed to fire ammunition you’re most likely to find lying around.

[​IMG]Image courtesy of Tim Ralston
    According to Ralston, Scavenger 6 is designed to solve a specific problem that could arise in a post-apocalyptic situation: Ammo.

“Ammo’s going to be the number-one-sought-after commodity in a post-apocalyptic scenario,” Ralston explained to Task & Purpose.

Fortunately, the world’s not ending just yet, but that doesn’t mean Scavenger 6 isn’t useful.

In addition to the multi-caliber CBs, the rifle comes with standard CBs that are tailored to a specific caliber and can chamber six rounds of that size. So, say, for example, you’re a military aviator and you want a backup weapon in case you’re ever shot down behind enemy lines, you could get a CB that fires 5.56, one that fires 9mm, and another that fires 7.62. You can also customize Scavenger 6 for specific purposes. If you’re headed deep into the wilderness, you may want a .44 Magnum for putting down large animals that pose a threat, as well as a .22 for hunting smaller animals for food.

On top of firing 21 calibers with one weapon system, Scavenger 6 can mount a scope, a foregrip, and has a folding butt-stock. Ralston also has plans to add a mount for a strobe light and a laser on the foregrip.

The weapon is in its final stages, with the finished product expected mid-October. Ralston says he plans to officially put Scavenger 6 on the market by January 2017.

Let’s just hope the apocalypse doesn’t come before it goes on sale.

This Ultimate Doomsday Rifle Shoots 21 Different Calibers Of Ammunition

2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Interesting...but for the life of me, I just don't see any similarity to an M1A1 carbine... :)

I can see potential issues with some of the combos, too. Consider that the .308 is a cut-down .270 - problems await if you pop a 30 cal round in a 27 barrel.

chelloveck likes this.
  3. Yard Dart

It will be interesting to see what the quality is and the price point.... if it scores well.... it may be a viable option for many.

Homer Simpson likes this.
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Obviously, in many of the calibers, using the length of the cylinder as a barrel. Makes me wonder about accuracy.

Brokor and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I pass, I believe the barrel is a .45 cal.....For everything fired! Hype H.S. for dummy's.

chelloveck likes this.
  6. Yard Dart

Supposed to hit the market next year.... we will see how it shoots. I agree that accuracy is probably suspect.... but it would be another tool in the basket if it performs reasonably well.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  7. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

M1A1 - hardly any resemblance other than being a firearm.

Front handhold could get burns or lead splash that close to the cylinder gap. Other than that it's an interesting concept, and depending on actual field accuracy, could make a dedicated forage piece.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I dare say that the only reason for the barrel is to keep the forward hand more or less out of the burn zone. I also say I ain't ever gonna buy one, and won't miss never seeing one.

9. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Looks like a knockoff of the old "Pepperbox" with a tube added to the front of the cylinder.

Can't imagine it being practical in anything other than pistol calibers, .22 RF and maybe .410. One of these chambered in .223 or .308 isn't going to have enough barrel length to burn the powder properly and that will most likely result in a large muzzle flash and accuracy issues, not to mention the recoil. It will go "bang" and if you're not that worried about actually hitting anything more than ten feet away, then maybe it would satisfy that requirement.

In addition, it's essentially a revolver and it was found in the early 60s with the .22 Jet, that bottlenecked cases do not work well in revolvers. Any tiny amount of oil in the chamber results in the inability of the brass case to grip the chamber walls properly during firing and jams the piece.

Brokor and chelloveck like this.
  10. duane

duane Monkey+++

While I am not a fan of the poodle shooter, it has many of the advantages of the gun shown above and few of its disadvantages. With different uppers and mags you can shoot several different calibers. It would seem to me that having several different molds and powder and primers would be more efficient in the long run. If you can reload 308 it can be used in the ar15 with the 300 blackout, the 762 and 308 chambered rifles, as in the ak 47, the 762 by 51, the 762 by 54, the 30-06, the m1 carbine, the 30 30 and several other cartridges.

chelloveck likes this.
  11. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Accuracy? Who are we kidding? For many reasons some of which have already been stated this thing will be lucky to print on a 15" paper target at 100 yards. There are plenty of multiple barrel, single receiver/buttstock or pistol grip (accurate!!!) weapons choices in the Thompson Center family of weapons (I own none of them, but am well aware and read up on) you could choose from and be much better off. Also this thing is so complex and cumbersome in combining all it's so called desired features it screams for being broken. This an idiots weapon imho! Y'all do whatever floats your boat, but I sure as hell wouldn't stake my life or that of friends or family on this POS. Buy the best quality weapons to serve your basic needs and lots of ammo and pray for the best outcome. Just my 2 cents.

Many guns have come and gone in my lifetime so far that I wish I had bought just for speculation, collection, scarcity, and value inflation. This POS might make a good collectors piece to cherish and coddle and protect, and preserve for future sale or side show ticket sales. If you got tons of money, sure buy 3 of these damn things and set them safely aside for you grandkids to make some money on.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2016
    3M-TA3, Yard Dart and chelloveck like this.
  12. svjoe

svjoe Angry Monkey

Not my cup o' tea..........

13. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

That's the guy that shot his thumb off, yeah?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

is this out of ES5.2? ;) :lol:

15. Yard Dart

That is friggin hillarious!!! I thought I recognized the name but did not look it up. Shot his thumb on doomsday preppers.... idiot.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

the lines between idiot and genius can be blurred ;)

wait is that a song? [LMAO]

17. Yard Dart

3M-TA3 and AxesAreBetter like this.
  18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Did this ever get made?

19. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Imagine doing a fallow up shot and dealing with a surprise each time as to the recoil ,not only that , if the forward barrel does not match what's in the chamber it's a waste .
    Eliminate the forward barrel and it is slightly more realistic , but not much.
    IMO If your packing a center fire weapon then carry a lee loader and primers and a bullet mold , now what ever bullets you find you can pull the bullets collect the powder melt the lead into your own molds, and with your own primers re load scavenged ammo .

20. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

what about scavenged .50bmg? or if one were to happen along a Vulcan round.

1. 3M-TA3
  2. OlDiceGames
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Prepsteader13
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Alanaana
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Thunder5Ranch
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Coyote Ridge