Doomsday Rifle Shoots 21 Different Calibers

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Yard Dart, Oct 5, 2016.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Given the drawing, I wonder how the BTAF will classify this thing - what with pistol and rifle calibers....

Dial-a-gun has never really worked before....

3M-TA3 likes this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yes you can punch a live primer out of a round I have done it plenty of times. I have never tired it on a crimped promer round, so that might not work.

3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I don't even understand why it has a barrel, because it can only be the size of the largest caliber bullet (45?) so unless the revolver chambers have a bit of rifling this will be about as accurate as a blunderbus.

Also, a bit of a pet peeve of mine is referring to cartridges as calibers. A caliber refers to diameter, so a 30-30 Winchester, 308, 30-06, and 300 WM have the same caliber, but are different cartridges. As soon as I read an article where the writer uses incorrect terminology I immediately have doubts as to the accuracy.

Legion489 and chelloveck like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Or the authors Facts, as stated....

3M-TA3 likes this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I worded it incorrectly above - ^^^ is exactly what I meant.

6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I realise that you were referring to the linked blurb's description of the weapon's description as a 'rifle', YD, but the article's author is just a tad extravagant in describing it as such. A pistol with stock....is still a pistol (perhaps stretching the description to it being a pistol/carbine might possibly be justified....but even then, its a contortion.) I doubt that the Luger could be described as a rifle...
    [​IMG]
    How useful the 'Doomsday Rifle' might actually be is debatable. It's main asset is that it might be useful for using ammo / reloading components (acquired by barter / scavenging / purchase) for weapon cartridges / calibres that are not part of one's battery of weapons.

The unfortunate thing with this particular weapon platform....it has neither the benefits of a rifle, nor the benefits of a pistol....which seems to be the inevitable fate of many pistol carbines.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    3M-TA3 likes this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Agreed - it's neither fish nor fowl. I'd have to wonder about the weight of packing all those cylinders around that may or may not have utility. I figure during SHTF if I "found" ammo I didn't normally use it would come with the weapon that fires it after someone else failed to kill me with it.

chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

For sheer survival hunting use, a good break-open action with multiple fitted barrels may be more practical.
    Shotgun calibers, pistol calibers, rifle calibers - all using one basic action. Each would have it's own regulated sights.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    oil pan 4 likes this.
  9. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Well there is that Blazer D99 Trio drilling rifle with 3 barrels, 1 for shotgun, the other 2 different rifled barrels.
    [gun]

10. JLRhiner

JLRhiner Stranger in the Modern World

That front hand is awful close to that Claymore mine called the cylinder gap. I'm going to pass.....

11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Like a Thompson contender.

1. 3M-TA3
  2. OlDiceGames
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Prepsteader13
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Alanaana
  9. Dunerunner