Dope now legal (today) to buy/use in Nevada.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DKR, Jul 1, 2017.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Girl Scout cookies, to the best of my knowledge, have always been legal.

Ura-Ki, Brokor and Bandit99 like this.
  2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

You funny guy G.I! You number one! LOL! :ROFLMAO: But, thinking on it, I am more afraid of getting hooked on those damn Girl Scout cookies than Marijuana...

Ura-Ki, 3M-TA3 and Brokor like this.
  3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Samoas and thin mints are my crack. I now just donate and don't take the cookies. Boy Scouts, too.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  4. Bandit99

You HAD to say it, right! You just had to say "Samoas"! Now I will be thinking about them all damn day! LOL!

Ura-Ki likes this.
  5. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

In my state it has become since 2008 an industry in itself. Grow shops, lighting manufacturing, nutrients, potting soils, pots, fans, inline blowers, cooling systems, Air conditioning, even little ratchet ropes and stuff. Since the legalization of edibles and oils more and more doctors are helping people get medical cards. Ill be honest, we got into the business. It is amazing the number of jobs it creates. The plant itself supports manufacturers of duct work, Air conditioning, pest controls, nutrients, Potting soils, fans , even have their own type of sissors . Unreal.

Im with Ron Paul, Broker and many others. It should never have been outlawed. Michigan made medical use legal in 2008. I should have got in then. Big money right now in LED lighting for growing plants. Every week there is a new light coming out that gets deeper and grows better. Jobs in air conditioning are up. Once the grow licenses are passed you will see Hemp once again grown for rope and clothing. However, cant cross state line or import and to me? that is good. No cheap imports to put Americans out of business. So let the Feds keep it illegal. Dont send it out of your state. Nationwide the jobs are coming in . California light works, Lush Lighting, Eco lights, etc. etc. etc. Once again U.S cutting edge tech. leading the way.

Bandit99, Homer Simpson and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

From 2014 - Crime Is Up in Colorado: What That Tells Us About Pot Legalization and, Perhaps More Importantly, Lazy Reporting | HuffPost)

Current (and accurate) crime stats are hard to come by, most are years out of date... Nonetheless:

Lately legalization advocates have been cheering numbers that show a decline in crime. There are literally hundreds of articles that have been written with this narrative. But an honest look at the statistics shows an increase — not decrease — in Denver crime rates.

The Denver Police statistics show that summing across all crime types — about 35 in all — the crime rate is up almost 7 percent compared with the same period last year. Interestingly, crimes such as public drunkenness are up 237 percent, and drug violations are up 20 percent.

The article goes on to look at crime stats and reporting. The money quote for me is this:
    Across the Front Range, we are experiencing more and more butane explosions due to hash extraction methods, calls for service on strong smells, and calls to ER’s on adverse effects after either ingestion or smoked use. Black-market continues to exist unabated, availability of black market marijuana is ever present and cheaper than legalized MJ. Medical marijuana registrants continue to rise due to many factors such as more quantity allowed and more plants allowed, all due to Physician recommendations.

And a Black market = crime as dealers fight for 'sales territory'.

I find some reports that go both ways, the cops in Denver are loathe to admit to any crime existing.

Since 2012, the year when Colorado voters passed recreational marijuana legalization, the number of crimes in Denver has grown by about 44 percent, according to annual figures the city reported to the National Incident Based Reporting System. In the past, police have argued that system potentially overcounts crimes and have preferred instead to cite the FBI’s Uniform Crime Report, which shows a 3.5 percent increase over the same span. Both of those increases are tempered when taking population growth into account. (Published February 17, 2016)

I see much of the problem as bleed-over issues with non-permissive jurisdictions. This is part of the so-called Black market (underground economy) - I have trouble believing that Colorado has the population to support of a Billion $ in M/J sales, with a thriving and local Black market.

In a related story from 2013:

Gil Kerlikowske, the White House director of national drug-control policy, said a study by his office showed a strong link between drug use and crime. Eighty percent of the adult males arrested for crimes in Sacramento, Calif., last year tested positive for at least one illegal drug. Marijuana was the most commonly detected drug, found in 54 percent of those arrested.

The study found similar results in four other cities: New York, Denver, Atlanta and Chicago. Among the cities, it included examinations of 1,736 urine samples and 1,938 interviews with men who were arrested.

Researchers found that marijuana was the most popular drug used by men who’d been arrested in all the cities, ranging from a low of 37 percent in Atlanta to a high of 58 percent in Chicago. Chicago also had the highest overall positive test results, with 86 percent of the men found to have at least one drug in their bloodstreams.

Cocaine ranked as the second most commonly found drug in all the cities, with the exception of Sacramento, where methamphetamine was No. 2, detected among 40 percent of those arrested
    Source (Marijuana is drug most often linked to crime, study finds)

Alaska had de-criminalized M/J more than a decade ago. Possession of less than an oz was a traffic-ticket citation and usually a small fine, if that. Most dope was grown locally or imported in bulk from Canada. Yes, Canada.

Once M/J was legalized, the real trouble started as low-level and local street dealers got squeezed by out-of-state (and gang-affiliated) dealers showing up to peddle their stuff.
    Last year was a record for the number of homicides and this year is on pace to break even that dismal record.

Bottom line - Anchorage is now rated in the top ten (#5 but trying harder) most dangerous cities on the West Coast.
    What had been a problem with (mostly) alcohol has expanded into M/J and heroin related crime. Anchorage is not unique in this, but it is felt more actually given the population density of the larger urban areas (Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau).

Related articles looking at this:
    Blog: Violent crime rate rises in aftermath of Alaska's medical marijuana legalization

Is crime on the rise in Anchorage? A look at the numbers
    "Drugs arrests in Alaska increased 22.2 percent over that time period, and the increase in drug use is anecdotally blamed for much of the violent crime seen in the state."

Forbes Welcome
    This piece refers to crime rate which factors in population. While to total number of violent crimes is less than, say Denver, when the size of the population is factored in, you can get a sense of how bad it really is....

I don't know what the answer is, but make any drug freely available isn't going to help. Sadly, Prohibition proved, beyond any shadow of doubt, that path is a real loser. What else might work is out there in the fog......

7. DKR

As for the Girl Scouts selling cookies in front a dope outlet..

I would not let them sell cookies in front of a bar, this is no different.

8. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Grand rapids Hydroponics bought out 5 old stores and combined them all into one of the largest grow shops in the State. They are providing a lot of jobs . The place is amazing. Its huge. It is an industry and its growing.

9. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Medical card holders get better product taylored to their affliction. Black market dealers cant compete and are driven out. Legal card holders have already won that battle here. Why buy from a criminal when you can buy legal. Michigan has a better system in my opinion. Legal dispensaries are the way forward. Michigan legalized oils and edibles a couple years ago. Actually making medicine for pain and other problems. And yes the FDA has already approved a big corporation making synthesized Cannabis. It could be a quick end to all the new job growth.

Brokor likes this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

An interesting NOTE, here... Back in the Late '60s, when I was a College Organic Chemistry Student, my roommate was doing research on "synthesized Cannabis"... Looking for an easier, and cheaper Synthesis.... He had some success in his adventures, and left school, before he graduated, to go Private Enterprise, with his research.... Lost track of him for several Years, and then I read an article, in an obscure Journal, that said there was an accident, in the town in Ohio, that he was from, and a small Lab was destroyed, and all the Lab Notes were burned up, as well as the Chemist.... It named my Roommate as the Owner, and was published by another Group, that was trying to reproduce his Synthesis Process... I really miss talking to Joe, over the many years since... We sure had fun, Blowing things up, testing my research....

hank2222, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

The lighting industry for indoor growing has exploded in size. Millions being made and a loit of jobs in building lighting systems. Lots of money in building rooms and setting up cooling systems etc.

12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I don't want anything to do with it.
    Way I see it when a state does this they are sayibg the war on drugs has failed, are taking matters into their own hands it's a big FU to the fed and the drug cartels.
    So I have to support it.

13. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

The problem is government, always has been, always will be. They make it illegal and they criminalize people who have it, collecting money from fines and seizures. Then they legalize it, tax it, and are surprised to find people growing it and freely dealing and bartering it. So what do they do? They roll out the cops, fine people, imprison people who have more than the legal amount, shoot and kill any who resist, and if you don't have a medical card, you're a criminal. That's not legalization. Again, take government out of the equation and there is no problem.

Cruisin Sloth and Homer Simpson like this.
  14. DKR

The problem is that the State govt legalized dope.

Before - no big. Most folks that got busted were part of another crime - Oh - hey, felony car theft - and you have some weed, well, we add dope possession to the pile of other charges.

NOBODY was getting shot or, frankly, hassled for casual use. The old status quo made growing for resale an issue. The folks that got into mass grow operations got hammered. Why - they usually rented a house and tore it up but good to make a grow operation.
    The Law didn't require restitution (like that ever happens) - insurance won't pay -- and the State refused to get involved in a 'civil matter'.
    That dealers and users shot and robbed each other is a given.

So now dope is legal - grow your own, smoke it public (just not indoors at a commercial establishment).

NOW the grow operation can apply for a permit, inspection, tracking system ad nausem so the SoA gets their cut of the profits..
    Retail outlet can apply for a permit, inspection, tracking system ad nausem so the SoA and City gets their cut of the profits @ zero risk or effort.

But wait!
    Legal dope sellers (retail and wholesale) have to deal in cash. Cash only. Cannot get a credit card co that will touch dope money.
    Pay taxes? How? They can't use a Bank or CU - that whole profit from an illegal activity the Feds keep bugging everyone about...
    Mail cash to the State Capitol? Nope. PO won't touch dope money.
    Take to Western Union? Nope - they won't touch dope money....

Some property owners refused to rent to the growers or retail outlets. Yup - profiting from the drug trade. Anytime the Feds want to drop the hammer - and collect their $100/oz excise tax - the permits give them an airtight case.

Plus side of things. I expect the robbery of the Gas and Go & Mom & Pop stores to dry up pretty fast as soon as the thugs figure out that retail dope sellers are swimming in cash. Check the crime stats in Denver to see this shift in 'focus'.

Now that it legal to openly possess, the underground supply side chain is going nutz... Along with the shootings, car bombs and arson, part of the norm for the trade - new street level dealers are getting in the biz...and getting shot. And the bystanders are paying the price....

To wit -
    A woman who was shot after answering the door of her northeast Anchorage home last Thursday has died, according to the Anchorage Police Department. Paula Zorawski, 40, was shot in the head on Sept. 22 during an apparent home invasion on Alora Loop.

Zorawski’s death marks Anchorage’s 27th homicide, says APD spokesperson Anita Shell — just three murders away from breaking the record for deadliest year in the municipality. Charging documents say the suspects believed there were drugs and money inside the house, but after Zorawski was shot, they fled from the home on foot. (this happened in 2016 and the record was shattered)

I suppose, eventually, legal dope will reduce crime - the PTB keep saying this. I don't see that.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Brokor

You're entitled to your opinion, and I don't wish to be a nuisance when I take the opposite side. I believe in liberty, I believe in freedom. I see government the same as our forefathers --government is the enemy to a free people and must be kept in check at all times. We have a very abusive, corrupt, and out of control "government", which is really a Fascists corporate oligarchy, and their henchmen are the militarized police. I believe the people themselves should take charge, hire private police and hold them accountable instead of a corporate police who answer only to their corporate masters and do not serve the best interests of the people. Who enforces the "law" in our society? The police. And if we have an abusive government, we will have abusive police. Any naturally growing plant that has been made illegal, and not just that, but tops the list of schedule 1 narcotics and is enforced as such is a clear violation of civil liberties and it's being used to perpetuate the existence of the militarized police state. Any further "crimes" which occur due to "legalization" of that which has long been illegal, is only a phase which comes about because of conflicting premises --that is to say, if it's "legal", then there's no justification for government and its police to interfere. But, we have become so conditioned to accept our enslavement, that some people actually trust that the militarized police are making arrests and imprisoning people over a "legalized" plant because of "xyz" reasons. It's sickening. Yes, a criminal element will exist, it will always exist as long as government, too exists. Good people will be harmed, if they do not defend themselves. This was a warning provided to us by our Constitution, more accurately, the Declaration of Independence, where it clearly states, "Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes" ... "and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."

Demanding government to protect us from the "big bad drug dealers" is just...pathetic. Besides, we all ought to know by now, government is the biggest drug dealer, and they hate competition.

Homer Simpson and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  16. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Well said Broker

17. DKR

I'd rather not be taken out of context.

You are allowed to believe as you will. As am I. I was merely trying to show the ALASKA experience.

have fun!

Brokor likes this.
  18. Bandit99

I am thinking that many of these reports which refer to "...drugs and money..." are not talking about marijuana but crack, cocaine, heroin... I also don't see how one can say some state governments have legalized marijuana. They haven't. They are still in control of it except now they tax and license it.

@DKR "As for the Girl Scouts selling cookies in front a dope outlet..I would not let them sell cookies in front of a bar, this is no different."

I would support you not allowing your girls to do that. The fact is I would not allow it either; however, what I would not support is the government telling you or even the girls that they cannot do that unless that law is passed by the voters. Or, if the law is about selling anything on the streets, gum, condoms, pencils... I think parents should be the deciding factor on morality and the government should stay in their lane. Just my opinion...

Brokor and DKR like this.
  19. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

We get KID's selling them in-front of our .GOV liquor outlets in BC Canada plus I see kids inside , If I see any pets in there I'll start a rant !!

20. Brokor

Roger that, my good man. No harm, no foul I hope. :)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7