Downsizing Dilemma

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Oddcaliber, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Lately I have been giving a lot of thought about going to all 9mm for my pistols.Having 357 revolvers takes care of a lot of problems on its own. I did a lot of research on the subject weighed the pros and con's of the caliber in question. 9mm does have a lot going for it. Every gun manufacturer makes several. Ammo is cheap(when available). Can be found everywhere (when available). PCC's do really well with 9mm. I'm thinking about getting a 1911(Gasp!) in 9mm! Yeah I know the 45 won't shrink and the 9 may expand,I get all that. I'm trying to reduce my logistics to one pistol and one revolver caliber. Your thoughts?

Gator 45/70, techsar and sec_monkey like this.
  2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

It's still a free country ;)

If those calibers fulfill your needs, go for it.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

What he said. 9s don't do it for me, and I can't help you make a personal choice.

4. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

You guys are a lot of help! LOL.

5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

It makes it easier to just stock 1 caliber of ammo. Just 9 mm wouldn’t be my choice for that. Just my opinion, not knocking your choice. I figure I’ve got enough ammo now to hold out quite a while as long as I made every shot count. And if I got overrun , somebody’s going to make off with a pretty good stash. So there next victim better be ready.

6. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I like the.357

Gator 45/70, SB21 and Oddcaliber like this.
  7. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

1 caliber makes logistics easier (y) (y)

some of the more modern stuff is reasonably effective if the placement is gud

get whatever werks fer ya

Gator 45/70, SB21, Oddcaliber and 2 others like this.
  8. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Frankly, I think stocking one pistol caliber is smart, be it 9mm or 10mm or .45 or .50... I choose 9mm for the all the reasons you named and then some: common caliber, cost, more rounds per mag, etc... Now, I have some second thoughts (of course) and think perhaps 10mm should have been the choice; however, thinking it through 9mm, for me, is still spot on. I look at a handgun as a defensive or a backup firearm as my rifle will always be my first choice. I currently only stock one caliber of rifle ammo also - 5.56. I will probably get a .308 some day but for now if the SHTF it's 5.56 and I have lots of it and lots of 9mm to back it up.

Gator 45/70, SB21, Oddcaliber and 2 others like this.
  9. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Well from a practical standpoint, having one caliber would simplify things.

But on the other hand, if SHTF, I would like to be able to have multi-caliber capability. You just never know what kind of ammo you find/procure/scavenge and it would be nice to have a weapon available, that will work for that score. ;)

10. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

.38 super?

11. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

The only diversity I like is in firearm calibers. The more calibers the more interesting.

12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Lets see, Casting your own and reloading will run you about the same for the 9,38,357
    So your looking at 6-9cents per round max would be my estimate depending on your lead,powder,primers.
    I say shoot all 3

sec_monkey, Oddcaliber and Yard Dart like this.
  13. duane

duane Monkey+++

If I had to bug out, I would pick one caliber for pistol and 1 for rifle, but as long as I am at home, I would not be able to. 36 cal and 50 cal for muzzle loaders, 30 06, 308, 223, 300 blackout, 762-54, 762-39, for rifle, 357-38, 9, 45, for pistol and carbine, and 22 and 12 ga for hunting and plinking would be the least I could limit myself to. If I had to leave at once and on foot, 22 and 357 would be my choice although the likely ammo you could find would be 9 and 223. 22 as you can carry a lot and it is the round most likely to feed you, and 357-38 as the old Colt trooper is the one pistol that I would stake my life on. YMMV. For shotgun, it would be 12 ga with mix of slugs, buck, field loads. This is for New England and most shots being at under 100 yards, if in west, would be different choices.

sec_monkey and Oddcaliber like this.
  14. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

One of the problems you can run into with multiple cals

15. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

As much as I love the 1911 platform not sure I'd pick that pistol in 9mm for my one and only 9mm. One of the advantages preached by 9mm followers is higher mag capacity. I would choose a weapon that took advantage of that. If you were thinking of the 1911 then the obvious choice to me is the Browning High Power. Very similar to the 1911. No matter what you choose, to get the most out of the 9mm you need a pistol that gives you all of those advantages. A single stack 9mm as your only pistol in that calibre does not do that, and in my humble opinion would be a mistake. .45ACP vs 9mm arguments aside, current offerings in 9mm self defense ammo will stop a baddie so I see nothing wrong with your choosing that calibre if you like it.
    Good luck.

Gator 45/70, sec_monkey and HK_User like this.
  16. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

And the newer Hi Powers are double action.

17. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Had a Hi Power years ago. Not a bad firearm but had a couple of problems with it. A real meaty web between thumb and forefinger meant that skin got caught between the hammer spur and the tang when the firearm was under recoil. After a magazine full, the backstrap was covered in blood. It was the one thing I could count on every time I fired the pistol.

The other problem was reliability with light bullets. If I used 115 grain bullets or more, reliability was excellent, 90 grain hollow points (the old Super Vel ammunition) had feeding issues.

If you don't have a meaty web and you stay with bullets 115 grain or more, there shouldn't be a problem.

Personally I prefer 1911 style .45 ACP and wheelgun cartridges in .38 / .357 and the .44s.

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  18. Borrego

Borrego Monkey

I had the same epiphany a couple years ago....too many guns and calibers. So for my go-to guns, I went with .38/357 for revolvers. and 9mm for semiautos. .223 for rifles. Easy to get, less expensive

Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  19. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Already have 2 BHP clones,FEG PJK 9HP. Great shooters. 1911's in,well,45. I like the diversity but keeping up with the amount of ammo for them is a PITA!

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7