DPMS GII 308

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by azrancher, May 6, 2019.

1. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Looking for a complete lower, but could do a build since I know I can change out the trigger group with an AR-15.
    Here is what I got.
    DPMS 24

Gator 45/70, sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

AR style of 308 rifles is a very mixed bag, PSA has 2 gens, neither of which match up with a AR-10 from Armalite, DPMS Gen 2 is called GII, doesn't fit up with a PSA Gen 2, DPMS calls there first Gen 308 an LR308, not sure how it fits up with an AR-10...

3M-TA3, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  4. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

the short answer is, they do not fit outright, or they will not necessarily fit.

it is super important to really really carefully check compatibility.

The DPMS G2 will fit the DPMS G2 upper and that is about as guaranteed as ya can get.

The aero G2 might fit but we cannot say how perfect the fit will be if it does in fact fit.

techsar, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Just the Facts Ma'm.

Go with the GENll

Works great.

New DPMS .308 R-25 Gen II

Posted January 14, 2014 in AR-15, Guns & Gear, Press Releases, Rifles, SHOT Show by Phil White with 40 Comments
    Tags: .308, DPMS, SR-25

[​IMG]
    As most of you know I attended a Remington tactical products seminar at the world famous Gunsite Academy. That yielded the R51 announcement.

Well we have another product under the DPMS brand. This is an AR15 rifle in .308 caliber that has ben reengineered to a great degree with the purpose of not only upgrading the internals but shrinking the size and weight of the .308 to more closely resemble a 5.56 AR.

After having a chance to go hands on with this new model it is indeed very close to an AR15 in size as well as weight. While a 5.56 rifle weighs in at just over 6 pounds empty a .308 weighs in at a bit over 8 pounds. The new DPMS splits the difference at a little over 7 pounds.

Lets go through the various changes and steps involved in creating this innovative design.

[​IMG]

The photo above shows the lineage of the two rifles up to the soon to be released Gen II. The picture also shows the weights of each rifle in that lineage.

[​IMG]

This graphic shows the difference in receiver height and size of the magwell receiver from the magwell to the back of the receiver. The savings in size is significant.

[​IMG]

This graphic depicts the changes in the bolt carrier and the bolt itself. This is where the biggest change takes place and makes it possible to reduce the overall size of the Gen II.

First of all the extractor has been changed to be more durable. Most significantly the bolt has two ejectors rather than the one all other AR’s have. This provides more positive ejection combined with the new extractor. You can see the twin ejectors and springs to the right of the graphic. Another significant change is the gas key. The key is actually CNC’d as a solid part of the bolt carrier. Driving a pin out releases the tube that is the receptor for the gas tube entering the receiver from the front the gas system. The difference in the older .308 bolt and the new one is the new bolt is one inch longer than the standard 5.56 BCG. Circumference is almost identical to the 5.56 BCG. This not only reduces weight but allowed the engineers to start from this point in the design process of reducing the overall size.

[​IMG]

The above graphic explains the changes to the upper receiver comparing the standard receiver to the new Gen II receiver.

[​IMG]

This graphic displays the sequence of construction and design changes in comparison to the other standard receivers. Additional reinforced areas are shown which help the smaller receiver handle the increased pressures of the .308 round.

[​IMG]

The insertion of the steel feed ramp makes for more reliable feeding of all ammunition types.

[​IMG]

This illustration shows the revised extractor I mentioned earlier.

[​IMG]

This displays the stats and features of the new Gen II .308.

[​IMG]

Last we have a listing of the planned models available in the second quarter of 2014.. Price to be announced.

After having the opportunity to fire a couple of hundred rounds through the Gen II on one of the 200 yard ranges at Gunsite my impression was very good. The Gen II actually felt and looked more like an M4 than an AR10. Recoil was about what you would expect from a .308 AR10 in spite of the reduced size and weight.

Shooting steel plates at 200 yards was actually very easy with the supplied red dot that was mounted on the rifle I shot. It’s certainly more than accurate enough for longer-range hunting. If say you were shooting some of those huge hogs down in Texas you would no doubt drop it in it’s tracks. Between the power and reduced size it’s a good choice for traveling in a truck or other vehicle when you’re getting out of a vehicle to take your shot. The same would apply to climbing in your tree stand.

There you have it another new gun officially announced today by TFB at SHOT 2014!

[​IMG]

6. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I currently own two Gen 1 DPMS LR308 rifles and had owned a Sig 716 rifle. The reason I got rid of the Sig was because most of all the parts that make up that rifle is proprietary to that rifle. No LR308 barrels or even Armalite AR10 barrels or barrel extension will work with the Sig.

Which is also why I will stay clear of DPMS’s Gen II rifles. They were redesigned to reduce weight and use 85% of all AR15 furniture available. The only mechanical improvement incorporated into the Gen II rifles is a dual ejector in the bolt, but you can get Gen I dual ejector bolts from here,KAK LR-308 DOUBLE EJECTOR COMPLETE BOLT HEAD ONLY

7. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

And

First of all the extractor has been changed to be more durable. Most significantly the bolt has two ejectors rather than the one all other AR’s have. This provides more positive ejection combined with the new extractor. You can see the twin ejectors and springs to the right of the graphic. Another significant change is the gas key. The key is actually CNC’d as a solid part of the bolt carrier. Driving a pin out releases the tube that is the receptor for the gas tube entering the receiver from the front the gas system. The difference in the older .308 bolt and the new one is the new bolt is one inch longer than the standard 5.56 BCG. Circumference is almost identical to the 5.56 BCG. This not only reduces weight but allowed the engineers to start from this point in the design process of reducing the overall size.

[​IMG]

The above graphic explains the changes to the upper receiver comparing the standard receiver to the new Gen II receiver.

[​IMG]

This graphic displays the sequence of construction and design changes in comparison to the other standard receivers. Additional reinforced areas are shown which help the smaller receiver handle the increased pressures of the .308 round.

[​IMG]

The insertion of the steel feed ramp makes for more reliable feeding of all ammunition types.

[​IMG]

This illustration shows the revised extractor I mentioned earlier.

8. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

3M-TA3, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

previous DPMS models are known to have very small tolerances or really really tight fitting parts.

on a few models the take down pin cannot be easily removed and we been told it says so in the manuals.

just offering this info fer what it is worth not sayin it is positive or negative. some folks prefer very tight fittin pins.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Definitely NOT a GII. Look at the overhang behind the grip. A GII/G2 looks like an AR-15. The buffer mount on a G2 stops where that one begins.

[​IMG]

Ura-Ki, HK_User and sec_monkey like this.
  11. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

OK Bruce, here you go, DPMS is good about answering emails.
    DPMS Support
    Service Ticket Response
    [​IMG]
    Mr. R, We sell a Gen II complete lower with a collapsible stock. It is item 60648 and would need to be ordered by a dealer. The MSRP is @249.95. Thank you!

Sent: May 06 2019 02:54:55 PM
    To:info@dpmsinc.com
    Subject: Re: [ Ticket: 961771 ] DPMS 24" Bull Barrel in 7.62X51

Do you Sell GII lowers, either just the lower, or full lower?

Thanks!

Gator 45/70, HK_User, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

@azrancher - out of curiosity, what upper are you putting on it? Also, I noted when I was looking at the Adams web site that there is now at least one ambi charging handle if you use those. I wound up adding an extended lever to my stock charging handle due to the position of my scope making it a bit difficult.

13. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

The link to the barrel is in post #22, I'll look into the charging handle after I get this thing together. I already know I don't like the style of the hand grip. Basically the barrel is a 24" SS bull barrel, looking to put together a rifle that is accurate to 500 yards, not a mile.

Gator 45/70, HK_User, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

OK @azrancher.... Do you want me to order it for you? Your cost will be, half Difference between MSRP and My Cost added to My Cost, plus shipping from Them to Me, and Me to your FFL...

15. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

OK, lets take this offline.

Gator 45/70, HK_User and sec_monkey like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7