Dragon's breath

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Airtime, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Has anyone actually played with the Dragon Breath shotgun ammo? The video looks like fun (and I like this guy's numerous videos) but some reviews I've seen say they were underwhelmed.

Just asking... for fun.
    AT

Yard Dart likes this.
  2. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

I have a few shells that have been in storage for years.

There is way too much stuff to burn around me. I don't feel it would be safe to shoot them unless I'm in a downpour.

I've had too many close calls with incendiary/tracer projectiles, I don't want to push my luck. I once was shooting (I thought safely) into a muddy bank of a creek with .308 incendiary bullets. Most of the rounds safely embedded themselves into the mud, strangely enough giving us a nice reddish/pink glow for a few seconds.

"Burning the worms" is what a friend of mine called it. One of the rounds must have hit a rock (plenty of them around here) and broke up. The incendiary portion broke away and flew up into a field about 200 yards away. We had to grab a shovel and run up to where it landed. Luckily it wasn't hard to find, or extinguish.

The same thing keeps me from building a flamethrower; I'd never get to play with it. Maybe if I lived in the desert.

Icefoot and natshare like this.
  3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have seen them but cannot imagine any practical use for them what so ever?

VisuTrac likes this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I believe the same company also make starshot, parachute flares, flechette rounds, needle loads, square shot, and several others in various Ga.'s all the way down to .410. I looked at them hard when trying to find .410 flares. They appear to be the only current maker.

5. gunbunny

I always figured it was for entertainment. Do you want to try lighting one off in your house? Burn it down! How about hunting squirrels for fun? Burn the woods down!

Maybe shooting an old car with a can of gas sitting in the driver's seat, loading it up with OO or #4 buck, and finishing it off with a Dragon's Breath. That would be fun (expensive).

6. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

I'd luv to have a Dragons Breath loaded up, when a car full of rioters pulls up, loaded down with gas bombs ....

Mountainman and Yard Dart like this.
  7. gunbunny

Burn them down! With my luck all it would do is remove their paint, but set the barn on fire. I still have those 3 shells stored in an old .30 cal ammo can. Someday, maybe right after the next hurricane drives through, I'll pull them out and light them off.

I wonder if they would cycle through a semi-auto. IIRC, the shells are very light, so the payload may not be enough to operate the SA mechanism.

I can remember reading (I think it was) Firepower magazine back in the late 80's with a guy on the cover shooting Dragon's Breath. The picture was a lot like the one in the video where they are shooting into the air, and the particles follow a ballistic arc.

Just what a young kid needs to fuel the thoughts in his adolescent mind! I wanted some of that in the worst way. It's funny, now, I have some and could really care less.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  8. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

*whispers* "winter" [coo]

9. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Lets say post shtf, you were doing a tactical recon and upon entry into a building in a town nearby, you encounter a bunch of bandits in the building..... one or two of these may expedite your extraction and keep them working on putting out the fire vs coming after you.... just a random thought from the Dart. They do have a shock value that could be useful under certain circumstances.

In our current time, I lean to what @NotSoSneaky said and suggesting to wait till you have a good ground cover of snow and test it out. Good to know what it will do later on when needed.

NotSoSneaky and Mountainman like this.
  10. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I can see many uses for these as shock devices and or force multipliers . Trigger 6 at the same time ,3 from each side at an approaching group . Nice thanks for posting. Now I need a few dozen of them.

11. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

Shooting it in a rifled shotgun barrel would open the pattern up a lot, if desired. It would fill a room much more effectively.

12. kellory

Given the choice, I think I would rather get shot with buckshot than flaming magnesium shot.

13. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Or in Kellory's spirit, possibly "empty" a room more effectively?

fmhuff likes this.
  14. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Might be good to set the zombies you're trying to kill on fire?? ;)

15. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I figure throwing a pail of Gasoline on the approaching Zombies, (remember they move slow) and then lighting them up, should be sufficient to deal with them, in most cases. You only have to stay out of arms reach. Why waste ammo on things that are already Dead.... Cremation is a good result.....

16. kellory

A road flare and a trip line would function for that.....

17. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I had a guy at the range that had an unmarked 12ga round he thought was a bean bag round. I cleared him to shoot it, but asked him to aim low.
    Good thing I did, because the Dragons Breath lit up the firing line from about 15 yards out, all the way up and over the 25 yard berm. I kept thinking I was smelling smoke all afternoon. No range fire that time, but it sure looked like a good way to get one started.

HD

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7