Dried Rhubarb

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Motomom34, Jun 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I bought a snack mix that had dried rhubarb in it. It tastes really good, kind of chewy but was a great addition to the energy mix. The rhubarb I ate had been sweetened but it adds a tangy taste if just dried without sweeteners.

Directions To Dehydrate Rhubarb
    1. Slice off the ends of your rhubarb and dice into even size pieces. I keep mine about 1/4″ thick. You want all your pieces to be fairly close in size so that they dry evenly. I slice all of mine with a mandolin slicer because it keeps them even. This is also a good size to throw a few pieces in your morning oatmeal.

2. Layer your sliced rhubarb on your dehydrator sheets in a single layer.

3. Turn your dehydrator onto the recommended settings. I dry mine at 135 degrees for 8-12 hours rotating my trays at least three times throughout the process. I make sure my dehydrator is packed at this time so keep in mind if your only drying a try or two your drying time will be significantly less.

4. Rhubarb is dry when it is crisp and will break easily with no “leather” feeling when breaking. Because my pieces are so thin it looks a lot like dried celery.
    Dehydrate Rhubarb Instead Of Wasting Your Surplus - Farmer's Wife Rambles

I am going to try this but am asking if any Monkeys had mishaps dehydrating rhubarb, tips or advice. I find quite often these things that sound really easy on the internet often leave out information.

Sapper John, tacmotusn and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Disclaimer: I have not tried drying rhubarb, but --

For those who have not yet a slicer in your kitchen tool box, look carefully at whatever it might be that you intend to use for slicing. I can tell you for sure that finger or knuckle juice can quickly get into the pile of slices (yes, I KNOW this) and that the average slicer/grater is a bigger PIA than imaginable at first glance. If you are not planning on production line quantities don't bother with a dedicated slicer, stick with your fave knife and the ol' eyeball measuring gauge.

A good rhubarb pie is hard to beat.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  3. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Rhubarb is another plant that I've been told can't be grown this far East.

Hmmmmm? I've got Osage Orange (Maclura pomifera) trees that I grew from seed, and they're taking off this year. I enjoyed rhubarb as a kid in Central Michigan. (grown as an edible ornamental on the West side of barns) I'll have to see if I can get it to survive here.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Ura-Ki likes this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Not sure where in the East you are talking about but I used to have some growing in my yard in New England. Hardy plant that needs little care. Used to walk out my front door, hack some off the bush and make fresh rhubarb pie.

Yard Dart, Ura-Ki and snake6264 like this.
  5. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Grows like wildfire in the Midwest

Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Coastal North Carolina. Nothing but beach sand. Seems to be good for growing all sorts of nasty thorny things, and vines, including grapes, will swallow your landscape if not kept in check.

This is encouraging: Rhubarb grows best in zones where the ground freezes in winter. Plants require an extended chilling period with temperatures below 40 degrees to produce a crop of stems. As a result, rhubarb is commonplace in gardens throughout the coldest sections of the country, although it can be grown as far south as Zone 7.

I'm solidly in Zone 8. Maybe I can dig them up in the fall and freeze them in the deep freeze.

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. ghrit

We had it wild in the ditches alongside the roads in both Longview WA and Midland, MI. Dunno what zones those are, but for sure, Midland sees "chilly" temps. Longview, less so.

8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

A neato trick for these is to marinate them with other fruits in a soup type rue, then dehydrate and add to foods and snacks as desired! For a fall blend, mix with Granny Smith apples and pears. For a summer yummy, mix with straw berries and wild salmon berries! This trick can also be quite tasty as a BBQ sause and can be mixed in with lots of fruits very Well! You can also freeze dry it and then grind it down to a powder and add to tea or other drinks for a tasty twist on more traditional liquid refreshments!

Motomom34 and tacmotusn like this.
  9. ochit

ochit Monkey+

Crown royal or 151 Rum ???

Ura-Ki likes this.
  10. ghrit

Grand Marnier

ochit and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Oh , YEA!!!!
    That would be yummy in all sorts of things! Last one I did like this, I used Henessy, turned our amazing! Let is sit and breath for a few hours before blending!

ochit likes this.
  12. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

It’s been so long since I’ve had any Rhubarb anything, I don’t even remember what it tasted like. All I know is grandma made it , put it on the table,, and grandma said eat it , and it got ate. Then back outside to the swamp for turtle catchin’ , fishin’, and B.B. gun shootin’ .

Ura-Ki and Motomom34 like this.
  1. Motomom34
  2. Motomom34
  3. Bishop
  4. azrancher
  5. Ajax
  6. Equilibrium
  7. Equilibrium
  8. Mountainman
  9. VHestin
  10. Ajax
  11. Tracy