Drill Sgt's Rules For A Gunfight.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Pax Mentis, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

One of the better sets of rules I have seen. I saw them some years back but just ran across them again and decided they were worth sharing/discussing...

1. Forget about knives, bats and fists. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns. Bring four times the ammunition you think you could ever need. [the only time you have too much ammo is when you’re on fire]
    2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammunition is cheap – life is expensive. If you shoot inside, buckshot is your friend. A new wall is cheap – funerals are expensive
    3. Only hits count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss....
    CONTINUED:
    Drill SGT Joe Frick’s Rules for a Gunfight

2. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Just a personal opinion ... Rule #11 applies especially - don't fight fair, you'll die.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  3. duane

duane Monkey+++

Gunfights are dangerous, loud, messy and nerve wracking. As a USAF vet nothing but nothing beats a 2 way radio with a Warthog on the other end, upgraded they say now to an armed drone . You can really reach out and touch someone and they won't even know you were there. That being said, I no longer have that option, so totally agree on his rules and would only add one more. If they notice you, the powers that be, and come for you, you have lost and only have a choice in where you die, so don't get noticed if at all possible. I have a couple of semi autos and some ammo, they have millions of rounds of ammo and many weapons to fire them in.

4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

4. If your shooting stance is good, you’re probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly.
    [werd]

5. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

so true as my master sargent father used to drill in to all his children along with values and never turn your back on an enemy

Caveman Jim and Sgt Nambu like this.
  6. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

In the entire history of the world there has never been a single fair fight. Nor will there ever be.

In every fight, one person--the winner--has always been the strongest, the fastest, the smartest, the best trained, the most motivated, the luckiest, and/or the best equipped.

Your job in every fight is to be the winner. Leave the losing to those who think fair matters.

Sgt Nambu, marlas1too and Motomom34 like this.
  7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

"Let the other fool die for his country, your job is to kill him, with any tool that comes to hand."

Legion489, stg58, marlas1too and 2 others like this.
  8. duane

duane Monkey+++

Amen kellory!

marlas1too likes this.
  9. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

DAMN! @UncleMorgan You are starting to sound like General George S. Patton!
    'No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. You won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Although you are much more eloquent in your wording... :)

@duane "If they notice you, the powers that be, and come for you, you have lost and only have a choice in where you die, so don't get noticed if at all possible."
    Roger that, brother. If it comes to that (let's pray it doesn't) - you lost - but make losing count, "Do not go gentle into that good night."

Sgt Nambu, marlas1too and Motomom34 like this.
  10. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

2 of my favorites that are somewhat related...

19. Decide NOW to always be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.
    20. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

marlas1too, Sgt Nambu and BTPost like this.
  11. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

As a former Reconnaissance Sgt, in Artillary Liaison I'm with you on that radio! Pre A-10's and the Helicopter gun ships were all in Vietnam, but 105mm, 155mm and 8" howitzers give a real feeling of confidence! Even if it's false confidence! ;)
    You also have a choice of where to hide, until you attack!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    marlas1too likes this.
  12. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

I like the Sgt's rules for a gunfight! A lot more truth than poetry there!

marlas1too likes this.
  13. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

That's well said! Before every fight in history, EVERYONE has been burning up brain cells trying to make it an unfair fight!

marlas1too likes this.
  14. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

There's an awful lot of testosterone going back and forth in this thread; and, in my own humble opinion, very little of it is actually going to be useful. Although I've known these events to include as many as four participants on one side, and only one participant on the other, CQB pistol gunfighting is most often a, 'one on one' event; and, in my experience: Instinct, prior knowledge, and force-of-habit are worth more than a headful of great-sounding do's and do not's.

In every CQB pistol gunfight there is only one primary rule — One:

STOP THE OTHER GUY BEFORE HE STOPS YOU!

Moreover, it's probably NOT the other guy's gun that you're really going to have to worry about; instead, it's going to be your own hesitation and/or reluctance to act.

Me? I'm an advocate of the Jim Cirillo school of combat pistolcraft; and there are only a few rules:
    (1) Don't wait! (2) Move fast! (3) Think your shots into the precise target zone; and, (4) Whenever the fight is, 'up close and personal' forget about finding safe cover. ‘Why?’ Because, most often, you’re NOT going to have time!

THE BEST PLACE TO HIDE IN THIS SORT OF A DILEMMA IS ALWAYS BEHIND YOUR FRONT SIGHT.

After many years of practicing these things over, and over, and over again, I've discovered that there are (for lack of better words) only two genuinely applicable states-of-mind: The usual mental attitude is what I would call normal, and corresponds to Jeff Cooper's, 'Condition Yellow' or, 'Condition Orange'. However, the mortal combat state-of-mind is different. Again (for lack of a more precise definition) I have learned to call this mental reflex, 'Cold Mind'. It is from this sort of, 'Cold Mind' that a combatant must learn how to almost instantaneously, 'kill or be killed'.

A genuine state of, 'Cold Mind' is highly focused on the immediate threat; and it is, of necessity: absolutely murderous, entirely ruthless, and completely unforgiving — ALL reflexive mental attitudes which, sadly and no matter the imminent threat, most people are either: unable, unwilling, or unaccustomed to reverting to on the spur of the moment.

'Why' ? Because prior mental validation, training, and conditioned reflex ARE required. THAT is, 'Why'! Internet gun forum bravado, and the usual hyperbole aside, it all comes down to the absolute necessity to: practice, practice, practice. Succinctly stated: If you've got to pause a moment to get the rules straight and think about it, then, you're not pragmatically ready to defend either your own, or anybody else's life.

Again in my opinion — and, perhaps, more than anything else — it is a hesitant and uncertain mind, undisciplined gun-handling skills, and piss-poor marksmanship that are primarily responsible for those psychological foibles which cause THE THREE MOST COMMON DEADLY TACTICAL ERRORS of: (1) 'waiting to decide'. (2) 'waiting to validate', and/or, (3) 'waiting to, somehow, rise to the occasion' that have cost so many unfortunate CQB pistol combatants their innocent (albeit ingenuous) lives!

In a CQB pistol gunfight TIME is a luxury that no man can afford; and hesitancy along with indecision are its close allies! I don't agree with everything that Jim Cirillo taught; but, of one thing I'm certain: In a gunfight, and whenever possible, Jim Cirillo ALWAYS used both time and skill with a handgun AGAINST his opponent. If you want to survive your next CQB pistol engagement then you should strive to do the exact same thing.

Think about things beforehand; and practice, practice, practice! ;)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    arleigh, Srchdawg-again and Yard Dart like this.
  15. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

According to the FBI, this may not be the target you should be using.

16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Good point. What is the favorite these days? A web search indicates several available for sale in various places, but no clear statement of preference.

17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

My sheriff's captian taught me to shoot from the hip, reload and put it away when done.
    If you've got time to raise the sights, it's not self defense. (mind set)
    Basically ---draw shoot --- one action
    That's why I practice shooting from the hip. (so to speak)
    Most situations the perp has the drop, (or assume it so)
    If they have a knife, you don't have 21 feet . it's not a bull challenge , (if possible) create some distance/obstruction while drawing your weapon and fire at first opportunity.
    Dependency of having to take a stance makes one more vulnerable. one must be versatile enough to shoot from any position.
    In bed ,
    laying on the ground, on your belly, on your back,
    off handed past a door way,
    from a attic crawl space , up side down.
    There is no time to get in a comfortable position and if there is it must be that your pinned down in a fire fight.
    your enemy will exploit every opportunity to harm you , elbow or knee showing are enough to put you out of commission.
    As much as with in the home mirrors can help you, they can help the perp as well.
    I do not have flashlight on my home defense weapons it's like shining a target for the perp. light is held separately if it's necessary.
    In stead I have motion sensor lights through out the place and cameras as well.
    I have chickens ,so if there is a commotion out there I investigate with both a fire arm and an air gun or my bow..

1. Bishop
  2. Hanzo
  3. Tempstar
  4. OldDude49
  5. survivalmonkey
  6. Bishop
  7. Seacowboys
  8. Motomom34
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Bishop
  11. chelloveck
  12. Bishop