Drinking Rain Water.

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by Big Ron, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Rain water collection here is encouraged.
    Once upon a time I lived next door to an old Cajun man and his wife.
    Behind his house he must of had a 2K gallon old wooden cistern,
    Green and covered with moss and Ivy leaves
    Pretty sure his filter system included a piece of screen wire and leaves in the gutters.
    When the wife made coffee,She naturally boiled the water and mixed sugar with the coffee grinds.
    Put this in a drip pot and poured the hot water over it.
    I must say, Pretty darn good coffee,Bird crap and all.
    Added a special little flavor to it !!!

SB21 and HK_User like this.
  2. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

My grandpa had one with tadpoles in it,he lived to be 90 and died of a heart attack. Not cancer.
    [flag]

3. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

My Father and his Sisters were raised by their Grandmother, after their Mother died from TB back in 1944. Their house had a metal roof with a brick/plaster cistern. He told me about having to filter and boil the water for drinking, cooking and washing. It also had tadpoles and other critters living in it. They had a wire basket on a rope that was used to keep foods coolish in hot weather...the temp. was maybe in the high 50s or low 60s. He said that a drink of milk would make your teeth chatter, at least back then.

Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

if water has tadpoles in it... probably not dioxin infested. We swam in a big stock tank that pumped from a shallow windmill as a kid. the tank had goldfish in it and greens to feed them. The gold fish kept the water from freezing in the winter.

Dioxin in the water is a whole other ball of wax.

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If other complex organisms are living in there the water isn't poisoning them.
    Then you have the added benefit of those life forms filtering the water for you, they will pick up any nasties in the water before it gets to you.
    As long as you don't eat them.

Ganado, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

When I was a kid I wondered why we drank water that would kill a fish if the fish was put into the water straight from the tap.

Ganado, HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

We use spring water with a well as backup source (it tends to get muddy if run hard, so we use it mostly for irrigation).

Water setup in basement:
    Spring comes in, runs into a booster pump (gray vertical cylinder left side of photo) to boost from the 20-25psi natural pressure from the drop from the spring storage tanks (two 1500 gal poly tanks) to 40/60psi, then into a mesh screen filter, then a 5 micron whole house filter, then into an 8gpm UV light, and on into the house supply.
    Bypass line, right above the booster pump, is currently shut off. I can isolate the pump out and go to just gravity pressure (which we used for 20 years) if needed.
    [​IMG]

Other side of the room is the well setup, with a small pressure tank. Control box on wall, with spare box on wall. Whole house filter on the line tied to the house system. Lines in from well & spring (which is about 4' below ground) low on the wall, line out to feed the lines that go to the gardens/greenhouses, various yard hydrants.

[​IMG]

8. Peyronie kid

Peyronie kid Monkey

Are you able to collect sufficient water for your needs?

I have land not far from Clovis that I want to settle on, so I'll need to look at a rain water catchment system too I guess.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

This area is supposed to get 20 inches of rain per year on average.
    Problem is it actual year to year be anywhere from 9 to 36 inches and I have seen effectively 0 rain fall for 9 months.

Gator 45/70, Peyronie kid and HK_User like this.
  10. jefferson

jefferson Monkey

Rain water harvesting is a good system to store more water in the land and also it will helps to make the earth green for the next generation. Many times I also drink rain water, the taste of rainwater is differenct from normal distilled water. But storing the rain water for long term will need more process and storage area for keeping the water quality very well.

11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I built a practice Aquaponics garden which filtered water through the garden back to the fish tank it worked beautifully, no I didn’t try drinking any of that water but the fish didn’t complain, but they grew from a little feeder goldfish to about 6 inches long and I think I lost them because of the bobcat came in and clean them out.
    Along with activated charcoal would be the ideal way to filter water.
    We don’t get enough rain here to depend on it.

12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

It's the bird dookie from the roof. It can do really nasty things to you if you don't do something to ensure the water is potable.
    https://www.homesteadinhawaii.com/turning-rainwater-into-drinking-water-3-ways-to-do-it/

Gator 45/70, chelloveck and HK_User like this.
  13. jefferson

jefferson Monkey

In my childhood I drink rain water, that is an awesome experience. I love and that memories are still in my heart. But drinking direct rain water is some time toxic due to recent environmental pollution. So better to use some filters for rain water. It will good for our body health.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

In the Florida Keys at one time collecting rain water in cisterns was the only source of fresh water--some houses still have them.
    UV light
    "Overall, UV water treatment is an outstanding way to meet your families needs for water purification. It has been proven to be one of the most reliable, cost-effective methods for disinfecting water and is applicable in both point-of-use and whole-house water treatment applications.Jan 15, 2018"

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

The bird droppings add a certain flavor to cistern water, I draw the line at a dead raccoon floating on top

Zimmy, Alanaana, VisuTrac and 3 others like this.
  16. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Yeah, the freshly drowned ones are OK in there because they ain't started floating yet.

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

F'k yeah Baw^^^Got that right Buckwheat!

Zimmy likes this.
  18. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

I'm on the Island of Hawai'i and both of my homes operate on rainwater catchment. Most of the homes on the East side of the island do. I have UV Filters on both houses and also carbon (activated charcoal) filters. The water comes out clean when I test it. We use it for showering, dishes, and laundry. I personally don't drink it (would in an emergency), but had a tenant who did. For drinking water we like reverse osmosis filtering.

19. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Zimmy likes this.
  20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Being distilled water one might add some minerals to compensate.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7