Drinking water

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by larryinalabama, Oct 31, 2011.

1. larryinalabama

larryinalabama Monkey++

Due to wife problem most of my preps are gone, now the wife is also gone.

I have limited money to go out and buy 6 months worth of food or bottled water , so Im back prepping on a limited budget and doing all I can for little or cost, as well as getting back into canned goods.

So in my youth (which was a real long time ago)
    me and my late dad wanted to sail his 30' sail boat from So California to Hawaii. We both read and studied as much as we could, unfortuniately we never made the trip (house and car payments).

But I remembed ( insted of buying a cases of bottled on sale I saw today) a oceanic water tip that will work on land as well.

Take a shower curtain, if not avaible any sorce of sheet plastic will do. Santise as best as you can. Hang it outside before you go to bed. In the morning it will be full of dew or water dropletts capture that and you have your drinking water.

I plan to experement with as soon s I get a worn out shower curtain, might not hurt to keep a couple of new curtains as prep as eventually you will use them anyway

weegrannymush likes this.
  2. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Same principle as a solar still. ;)

3. beast

beast backwoodsman

place a stone or somesuch in the center and a bucket below it
    youll collect water from top and bottom

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Any heavier gauge of plastic works..I have even made solar stills in the desert from saran wrap! The larger sized Trash bags work, also!

5. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Also, standard tap water (preferably filtered) can be successfully bottled in the large 5 gallon empty containers you can buy at the store for about 5 bucks a pop. Many grocery stores have machines that dispense filtered, purified water for about $.25 a gallon. Just be sure to add 1/8 TSP bleach (plain bleach, no scents or any extra garbage in it) per gallon. Fill, add bleach, cap, tape closed and set in a cool dark place. Rotate (drink or use the oldest first, then refill) about every 6 months. Remember, you need approximately 1 gallon of water a day, MINIMUM, for survival purposes. I always err on the side of caution because I live in a hotter, more humid area, and store 2 gallons per person per day.

Additionally, you can take advantage of surface water sources, with the proper precautions. Gross filtering (running it through a fine mesh clean cotton fabric), settling, boiling, and adding bleach will do in a pinch for reasonably uncontaminated (no chemical runoff) surface water, preferably obtained from a moving source of water like a stream or river.

As for an emergency source of dew collection or a solar still the output is far below the 1 gallon per day minimum. It is however, better than no water at all.

1. Navyair
  2. Ganado
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. oil pan 4
  12. Bandit99